Freiheit

USPS increased Shipping?

Post office employees here always seem to be grumpy. Whenever I have a package waiting for me there they always seem stressed and irritable. I make it a point to be extra nice to them, since I know they have sucky jobs and people take out all kinds of stuff on them, especially during the holidays. But it's difficult, especially over the phone.

UPS employees always seem indifferent, except the delivery guys, probably cause everyone is so happy to see them all the time. But we don't go to the UPS store to send packages, because a) we don't like having to pay with our limbs, and b) they're unpleasant about it. If you're going to fleece me you might as well do it with a smile <_<

My favorite place to send packages is a little store called Lacey Pack & Ship. They ship through all carriers so they can find us the cheapest option AND they're really nice. They have yummy candy in their bowl too.

Maybe we should be careful about generalizations. Not EVERY post office worker is grumpy. Even if they were, I'm sure we all had the same experiences with other customer service workers too.

Bottom line is as costs go up, the cos of doing business has to go up too. I'm sure, like in most countries, the cost of postal services are subsidized by funds from the government. I'm guessing that with the challenges governments ate having with their budgets, this would be looked at as a place to cut costs - especially since their are other companies that are competing in the same sector for the business.

Price increases suck but we have to be willing to pay a fair price for fair value.

Post office employees here always seem to be grumpy.

I specified. I was speaking of my local office, where the holiday decor is a sad mockery of the cheerfulness the season should bring.

Though everyone single one I've ever talked to on the phone, no matter what part of the country they happened to be in (I've had occasion to call post offices in a few different states), was always unhelpful and grumpy. I generally feel like it's much less painful to just skip talking to the post office and go straight to banging my head against the wall, but then I'm much less likely to get my missing packages.

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough but I've never seen a youtube video of a USPS letter carrier tossing packages over fences or stealing deliveries made by competitors.

I haven't seen that video, though I have no doubt it exists.

I did have an acquaintance that was a letter carrier up until he was arrested and later convicted for the (literally) tons of mail he had dumped in his back yard rather than deliver. There was enough that he was using some piles as archery butts.

From the conversations I've had and lurked on, each of the major carriers seems to have wildly different service quality depending on where you are in the country. I've been pretty happy with UPS here, while the USPS hasn't provided the same level of service for my deliveries, but in general I've been happy with all three (including FedEx, which has a very bad reputation some places).

I knew this postal carrier as well and, outwardly, he was a very nice guy. However, there is something a bit frightening when you get a call from the postal inspectors office.

Think it's time to start thinking about a European Reaper outlet based in the UK. We could have a Reaper Brian and Sofia miniatures and Badglings.

• Like 1

They will still deliver packages on Saturday, but no basic first class mail.

ok, here is the deal. The Post Office has a congressional mandate to deliver mail 6 days a week, Mon-Sat. Something is happening in March where the upper echelons in the USPS thinks they can just cut out Sat delivery. Now, I have been a USPS mail carrier for almost 12 years now, and for the last 9 ir so years they have been talking about cutting Saturday delivery. While most americans could care less about mail being delivered on Sat, the special intrest groups that do care are loud & have lots of little politicians listening to them. I honestly think this plan from the USPS is going to bomb, and your mail will still be delivered on Saturdays when August comes around. I could be wrong, but thats what I see happening.

& the Post Office wants your buisness guys. If you don't like the rate your getting, tell your local carrier you want to speak with someone in sales. they will pass that on to the PM supervisor, and if that person has half a brain (it's a gamble) they will pass it on to marketing and someone will come out and work with you to make you happy. It's not a garentee you will get a great deal, but all the effort is on us, the USPS, not you guys.

As for customer service, I am sorry to say but it sucks in the USPS in general. This is the product of a generally unhappy workforce that is kept stressed out and in constant wariness of the changes coming down from up high. It's not an excuse for poor customer service, and it's something I wish was different. All I can do is try & give it to my customers and help where I can.

• Like 9

Actually, I know several carriers (one lives a few doors down, I love when he covers days off!) and they're mostly good. I gripe about my current guy but he's mostly good. It's just that the other three guys (my previous regular and the two who cover time off on the route) are /really/ good. Like amazing mail ninja good.

I find talking reasonably to people goes a long way in smoothing over problems.

• Like 1

I'm trying to figure out how to adjust my international shipping rates so they're as reasonable as possible without losing money on the sale. The new parcel rate is a huge increase and the shipping cost for a 3 ounce package is now 3 times what it used to be.

At least half of my business is international. If I lose half my sales I may end up closing my business. There's not a lot I can do at that point.

• Like 1

Sorry to resurrect this topic but:

We (Canadians) don't have to worry about the UPS brokerage fees for the Kickstarter rewards. Our stuff is going en masse to RAFM in Canada and will be shipped domestically from there (unless that plan has changed and I didn't notice).

At this time, that remains the plan for Canadian Rewards.

As a Canadian backer, I am incredibly glad to hear this. I've had nothing but horrible horrible experiences with UPS and brokerage. ($12 shipping and $15 brokerage on a $25 item? Really UPS? Its a piece of plastic... it fits in the palm of my hand... Non-Miniature related, but one of many issues I've run into).

Thank you Reaper, for being awesome.

Edited by jaryth000

Something most people do not know, and UPS does not advertise is that you can avoid brokerage fees on your cross border shipments with UPS by filing the customs paperwork yourself.

UPS does not advertise this very well because it's not in their best interest, but legally, they can not force you to use their services and CR Canada has regulation that allows private individuals to file such paperwork if they wish.

Doing so will eliminate the charges for brokerage. Unfortunately, it does not eliminate the GST & PST, or the HST, which you will always get dinged for by UPS if you don't do the customs paperwork yourself.

In order to file the paperwork yourself, you must notify UPS as soon as you receive a tracking number and invoice and tell them you will submit your own customs paperwork, and that you need the forms. They will hold your package at your local distribution centre so that it is not delivered and returned because you refuse their extortionate fee. They will then direct you to the appropriate paperwork which you must submit to them. They will then release your package for final delivery to your address. Depending on where you live, UPS may require you to pick up at the local distribution centre, though they shouldn't, since shipping is paid for to the final destination, so stand your ground on that if it's inconvenient.

Fortunately for us Canucks, Reaper is shipping to the Canadian RAFM distribution, so this should not be an issue for us. But it's good to know for future transactions.

• Like 3