Sign in to follow this  
CashWiley

60129: Chelaxian Infernal Binder (Ororo)

If you'll excuse the repost from the planning thread:

testcolors.JPG

Strips of Pure Black to mock up the clothing for Ororo. Not sure if I want a more bluish or greyish X-Costume, so I put a couple colors against black and see how I like them. The 4th strip is the colors I'll go with, the numbers refer to the formulas in the upper left. It's rough as those are the block-ins, so I'd probably start at black+highlight 1 before going to highlight 1 (which is 2:1 HD Military Grey to Twilight Blue).

Starting with a cool blue/grey then switching to a warmer grey to try and keep it from looking too blue, going into some Stormy Grey, then a bit of white in that. For shinier stuff like the boots, a specular of White + a dab of Stormy Grey is the plan.

This has been the biggest challenge for me, as stuff like the paint kits give you the paints and the mix recipes. So now I have to develop the ability to turn my imagination and inner eye into the paints I have. Learning the paints and how they work together and how to achieve what I'm trying to portray....that's the tough part for me.

First off, I had to break out the scalpel and carve out a little chunk I missed on her left arm that was bugging me. I used too much force and bent her back at the ankles. So the primer shown is where I cleaned up the arm, but there's also a bit on the ankle backs.

Ororo_WIP_7.JPG

Ok, on to painting.

Ororo_WIP_8.JPGOroro_WIP_9.JPG

First layer of 2:1 Military Grey HD:Twilight Blue, thinned with some water and matte medium mix.

Ororo_WIP_10.JPGOroro_WIP_11.JPG

Second highlight of Stormy Grey.

Ororo_WIP_12.JPGOroro_WIP_13.JPG

A couple specular-ish highlights to the boots and chest to try to make it look a bit more leathery. Looks like I need to clean up at least the left boot front a bit...I dunno, I think it got a bit too far away from looking like black. And I'm also very wary of going back in there to try to freehand NMM gold trim, trying to make a straight line around all those curves in the fabric and then shading and highlighting it without messing up the previous work?

C&C very welcome at this point, black is difficult!

• Like 4

...I dunno, I think it got a bit too far away from looking like black. And I'm also very wary of going back in there to try to freehand NMM gold trim, trying to make a straight line around all those curves in the fabric and then shading and highlighting it without messing up the previous work?

C&C very welcome at this point, black is difficult!

Love this conversion and mad props for Days of Futures Present reference shot(one of the greatest X-men stories ever).

it does seem to be moving from black to grey(tho that could be the lighting) working the deeper recesses back to black might help.

the specular highlights work to make it feel like shiny black leather

• Like 2

The lighting is working against this in a couple ways, I didn't touch the pure black shadows and it doesn't like the hair at all. The blacks look grey and the hair is blown out white. That said, let's do the hair!

Ororo_WIP_14.JPGOroro_WIP_15.JPG

I started with the plan of washing with P3 Frostbite, but that's so close to Ghost White I pulled out some Light Blue and washed with that pretty heavily.

Ororo_WIP_16.JPGOroro_WIP_17.JPG

I then went back over it with Ghost White to bring back the mids.

Ororo_WIP_18.JPGOroro_WIP_19.JPG

Finally, hit the highlights with Pure White.

Ororo_WIP_20.JPGOroro_WIP_21.JPG

Eyes were pretty simple, since they're just white. Normally I'd use a Linen White, but she's got those freaky white Storm eyes, so it got Pure White to really jump out. Skin was done with the Dark Skin triad, which I found a bit of a limited palette. I'm not going to go back down the shadows, but next time I do African-American skin tones, I think I'd start out with some really dark brown tone to build off. I did bring the highlight out past Dark Highlight by adding some Linen White to it.

• Like 5

I think the skin tones look great as you've got some warmth in the highlights which helps the feel cohesive with the orange\gold parts in her clothing. You could have mixed in some yellows (like a tan) to your base for your highlights and then gone to white but looking at the dark skin triad I'd say that using the highlight that came in that as the base was the right idea.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 1

That's one thing I like about the triads, even if you don't use them strictly as 1/2/3, they give a lot of flexibility for working in different directions with the three tones, keeping it somewhat cohesive.

Lots of NMM gold on this one, so I spent the morning going over other details. Pouches, scrolls, lips and...what's that?

Ororo_WIP_22.JPGOroro_WIP_23.JPG

That's right, true believers...you're looking at freehand! And setup for NMM gold trim, no less. The back of the model was just a wall of black, so I wanted to break it up with gold. I felt wrapping the trim to the front would be too much gold, given all the gold already on the front of the model.

For our next exciting chapter, you're going to have to tune in to the astonishing http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47574-60129-chelaxian-infernal-binder-ororo/'>Show-Off!

(because I forgot to WIP the NMM gold)

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 3

It's pretty black. It was a tough balance, and I think I might have left a bit more black but I wanted good definition and movement. And it photographs horribly :)

It's pretty black. It was a tough balance, and I think I might have left a bit more black but I wanted good definition and movement. And it photographs horribly :)

Either way, it looks great.

Ignore, me. I just saw the show off and...wow.

Edited by Spinward Bound
  • Like 1

Thanks, but it is a valid criticism. My first stab at black cloth so I was totally winging it.

Oh, the back-2-base-ix resin bases continue to be really shoddy. I tried for a Danger Room bluish feel to it. I guess I need to start improving my basing, but ye gods it's like a whole different hobby.

Thanks, but it is a valid criticism. My first stab at black cloth so I was totally winging it.

Oh, the back-2-base-ix resin bases continue to be really shoddy. I tried for a Danger Room bluish feel to it. I guess I need to start improving my basing, but ye gods it's like a whole different hobby.

An excellent first effort. Seems like it could use a black glaze but from what I remember from the last time I painted black, it's really easy to over do it and then you've gotta reapply highs and mids

Basing is a whole different hobby- well it can be depending on how detailed you want the terrain to be. There's quite a few blogs that have some excellent basing tutorials. Massive Voodoo is the first one that comes to mind because of the shear number of topics presented.

• Like 1