Girot

Wargaming Wounds

49 posts in this topic

Inevitably I end up in conversations with buddies about the damages we've suffered at our own hands... or rather to our own hands, LOL. And eyes. Probably some lung damage somewhere in our ranks too.

In any event if you'd like to brag about that time you "took jeweler's file to the knee and don't do much adventuring any more" go for it. No pictures though.

5 people like this

I once got stabbed by a Paladin in the back. I was working at a game store and the proprietor was in his early 20's. I was doing inventory, and he was showing off trying to impress some girlies. Miscalculated his roundhouse, and got me with it just as I was turning around.

I took it on the chin, pinwheeled backwards into the display case, went through that and got impaled by a knight riding a pegasus with his sword held aloft.

5 people like this

so now buglips can literally say he got stabbed in the back. i ended up putting a xacto knife through my hand. so i set down the blade next to me and slammed my hand down on top of it and didnt know til i got out of my chair.

Edited by Exwilly
1 person likes this

About 20 years ago, I was gluing a model. I was unfortunately standing by the kitchen table when I did it. My brother chased the dog, causing the dog (a 100 lb doberman named Pandy) to run into me. This caused me to fall backwards and squeeze the tube at the same time. A drop of superglue flew out of the tube and struck me in the right eye. I instinctively shut my eye, which was the wrong thing to do. Yep, you guessed it, I glued my eye shut. I went to the emergency room, and all they did was to say that it would wear off in a couple of days and not to rub my eye!

Edited by dwarvenranger
3 people like this

I've bisected one of my index fingers (well, the tip of it anyway). And thumbs. Glued my fingers together more times than I can count, though never my eyes. :;): Eventually I started doing both at the same time.

Oops! I cut my finger! *glues cut closed... adds drop of zipkicker cuz its taking to long*

The best my memory can serve up atm though is the time I decided to find out what the higher speed settings on my dremel (which is technically a 'rotory tool' and is an actual power tool) would do to solid pewter. I threw on a cutting wheel, turned it up to 6, and went for it. I ended up with second degree burns on my finger tips from where I was holding the victim and had a scar for a couple years, just under my right eye, from where the molten tin hit me in the face. I keep gun range safety goggles in my kit now and use a jeweler's saw for deep cutting.

ETA: I dying to see if anybody can beat the "Stabbed in the back by a Paladin" story btw. Way to hit the ball out of the park on the first post dude. :bday:

Edited by Girot
2 people like this

I still have a scar.

Also, you better believe I get a fine discount when I can make it down to that store.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
1 person likes this

I *cannot* beat that story.

My fingers are criss-crossed with little x-acto scars. The worst is on my left thumb: I managed to stab myself very deeply while attempting some.... ill-advised carving on a model. (a vampire, of course). I still don't have full feeling in that finger tip.

1 person likes this

I don't have any good stories to add other than the various glued my fingertips together, glued an aircraft wing to my hand and Oh so many paper cuts from magic card when I was the guy at the Flgs back in the 90's, most of my scars are from a dropping my bike in a tight corner couple of years ago and various cuts and burns from tinkering with engines.

Edited by pocketcthulhu
1 person likes this

Nothing serious myself, just the usual cut and stuck fingers. I did know a couple of guys that had a few GW goblin spear tips stuck under their skin for several months. Those figures were right buggers, you'd quite often move your arm over them during the course of a game only to find half the unit dssappear having attached themselves to a sleeve.

3 people like this

Let's see:

Several sprains, strains, scrapes, and sunburns and at least one case of food poisoning (LARPing in the mountains).

Nasty bruises from SCA combat. I think I prefer the rattan hits to the tiny, very deep bruises from rapiers, but neither is very much fun.

Multiple pike injuries from very small pikes. (It turns out that sharpened brass wire is sharp. Whoulda thunk.)

No great stories about injuries, though.

1 person likes this

I once glued my entire hand to itself.... I had a giant bottle of superglue that I wasn't paying attention to, and the whole thing poured out into my hand. I didn't notice until the thought crossed my mind, "Why is my hand so hot? Ow, ow, ow!"

Chemical burns for fun and profit. Well, fun, anyway. Well, chemical burns, anyway.

;)

2 people like this

More times than I can count. I think I have more scars on my left hand than palm lines. The most recent one is 2" long and right across the palm and has a matching gouge on the other hand from last week when the cat wanted to sit on me as I was painting, and I suggested she move, and she decided to launch herself into the air using my hand as a take off platform.

Haven't dropped a knife or stepped on a pin while barefoot in a long time though.

1 person likes this

Does it count if you drop a 50 lb bucket of celadon on your big toe and lose a toenail? (Pottery can be a hobby, too. I have a love-hate relationship with celadon now.) That and blueberry pie. See, what had happened was, I needed a pie for a gaming session. Tried out a nice new crust recipe, made a lattice and everything. Then decided to clean the oven of all the blueberry drippings (used extra butter, silly me) The oven has this nice glass rim which is just perfect for slicing the tip of your index finger half off when you foolishly use a Clorox wipe on it. On the bright side, I glued it back on. Still is a bit numb, but it works fine. I love superglue. Blueberry pies are evil, though.

Nope, can't top the paladin story. Although one of my gaming buddies did narrowly miss his eye with a pencil when he slammed his head down on the table in frustration.

1 person likes this

* applauds*

Outstanding!

Let's see:

Several sprains, strains, scrapes, and sunburns and at least one case of food poisoning (LARPing in the mountains).

Nasty bruises from SCA combat. I think I prefer the rattan hits to the tiny, very deep bruises from rapiers, but neither is very much fun.

Multiple pike injuries from very small pikes. (It turns out that sharpened brass wire is sharp. Whoulda thunk.)

No great stories about injuries, though.

didn't know we were counting larp. in my group we had too many bites to count, a few broken fingers and legs from people falling off things they shouldn't have been on, I personally was kicked in the junk by my ex after pretending to flash by yanking up my robes, she panicked. she spent the rest of the night keeping out of arms reach behind one of the larger guys that night in fear I was going to do something horrible to her, like hang her by her feet from a nearby tree.

Edited by pocketcthulhu
1 person likes this