recruittons

Stonehaven Blacksmith, Dark Platypus Studios Phaerimm

So I've finally got a decent picture rig! Here is the first mini I've painted since getting it setup. It's rather large.

The phaerimm model is actually a convention exclusive that was offered to KS backers of the Tentacles and Eyeballs project. This thing is... incredible. The only rub is that every little back spike it has I had to glue in place individually. That took hours. There are a few little mistakes and blotches that I didn't see in hand, but overall, I think the colors and blending are the strongest part and I'm very happy with how he came out!

post-8231-0-03948400-1360019761_thumb.jpgpost-8231-0-88194200-1360019767_thumb.jpg

Now, this one I'm dead proud of. This is, without a doubt, the best paint job I've ever done. She was my epiphany on skintones/blending. I had such and amazing time with her and she will be put to use as my girlfriend's Pathfinder character in an upcoming game.

post-8231-0-66193100-1360019771.jpgpost-8231-0-58728400-1360019775.jpg

C&C welcome!

Edited by recruittons
  • Like 15

You're stuff is getting cleaner and cleaner. Good job on both but the blacksmith is really well done.

Agreed.

• Like 1

Although not my style of mini, I like your painting and colour choices on the eyeball creature.

Congrats on your painting of Elinda. Very crisp, I like it. :)

• Like 1

Lookin' good! Love the face on the Dwarven lass; especially the lips look really good I think. I might personally perhaps darken down the silver parts slightly (a black wash maybe?).

The Phaerimm is a strange looking fellow/lady/thing (strange in a good way).

• Like 1

@All: Thank you for the compliments ::D:

@Trodax: I think you're right. The brightest spots I went over with a metallic white to highlight, and I tried to darken down the crevasses and undersides of the metal, but the silver itself is just a bit on the bright side. I'll be taking a black wash to the whole works to bring it down a bit all around.

Both look great I really like the blacksmith. Great mini with lots of character. I love the color choices on both minis.

• Like 1

You're stuff is getting cleaner and cleaner. Good job on both but the blacksmith is really well done.

Agreed.

+1. Amazing work! I love the creature!

• Like 1

Basically, since I've never watched a tutorial video or used a LTPK, I had no idea how to properly shade/highlight skin, nor which tones were best practice to use. I was using out of the bottle ceramcoat fleshtone with a tan mix to shade and and off-white to highlight. Then, I popped open my bottle of Army Painter Tanned flesh, mixed it with my fleshtone to bring it up a bit, and went from there. Essentially, I stumbled upon a formula for skin using the hodge-podge of craft paints and hobby paints! ::D:

Edited by recruittons
  • Like 1

I can't find the pic that helped me with zenithal-lit skin on the Drone, but Ali McVey had made a hilarious MS Paint edit of someone else's WIP with a big green sun and green showing the highlights and big red words saying "NO SHADOWS HERE" and an arrow to red marks she had made where the painter had laid shadows into the upper portion of the mini.

Basically, if the sun hits it, there will never be shadows, only mids and highs. Conversely, if the sun does not hit it, there will only be shadows and mids, never highs. I'm still pushing myself to not uniformly shade and highlight things and to be consistent in my light source. It's really tough when a model is bent over or in a pose where a lot of detail falls into shadow.

• Like 1

@CashWiley: That is something I'm working on as well (and feel like I'm improving on), trying to properly pick out just where to place my shadows and highlights. It's a bit of an upward battle, but I've taken to just using my desk lamp as a reference point by bending the neck to sit directly over the top of the mini and seeing where the shadows fall. It seems to be working because I'm starting to look at people and things around me as reference. Heck! I can't even watch a TV show without breaking down how people are lit in my head :lol:

@CashWiley, Girot, traxia, Marsya: Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it

Edited by recruittons

For the last six months I keep finding myself trying to figure out colors and lighting on random objects. It's kind of cool how painting opens your eyes; similar to when I was taking biochem in college or listening to music as a musician.

• Like 2