Sign in to follow this  
Foxfire

Wrath of Ashardalon

To keep myself encouraged, and to keep track of my skill (or lackthereof) for Ashardalon, I'm going to chuck them all here while I await the Reaper Surprise in March.

Here's the first one done, I haven't spent a massive amount of time on it (for me) it was about an hour all told I think. But it's also a simple model.

As it's just a generic monster it's not quite as good as I could have made it.

Snake1_zps5d05b852.jpg

Edited by Foxfire
  • Like 12

I like the palette choice for the snake. Very good look.

I painted WoA a few months ago and it was alot of fun and the set is a good value with some sculpts that were surprisingly better than I first expected (albeit there were a couple like the female elf and the kobolds that were short on detail). The photos of the finished set are posted here:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45888-ks-inspired-painting-spree/?p=653140

That's a good looking snake for an hour job! The snake will look good on the tabletop.

Main suggestion that I have is to bring up the highlights a bit more and deepen some of the shadows (particularly in the bluish parts of the mini).

Ron

I also painted up my WoA set (well, mostly... I have 8 left in 4 models). They were really nice because there was no pressure - as long as they looked better than a solid color, I called it a success. This guy looks great for a quick job. Nice contrast between highs and lows (though as vutpakdi says, you could probably go lower), and nice, clean painting.

• Like 1

@badoctor, yeah I've had a look at your guys, I'll be doing my legion devils in a very similar colour :)

@Vutpakdi I agree, the snake is actually a black snake and in normal light the blue is very gentle, until you put it under a glaring white light. Highlighting and shadowing is definitely something I am working on though... highlighting is so hard!

And here is Snake #2 Randy 'The Viper' Orton. This little bugger took about 1hr40mins... the reason it took an extra 40mins? The gorram gold spots. I did them in scorched brown to provide a base and then went over them with gold. It took me 40 mins to get them all done! With the red bellied black snake up above I just drybrused it and the dots came out nicely, but as you can see it made the rest of him look a bit rough.

I love these snake miniatures though, they're easy, have some nice detail and are fantastic to practise highlighting and shadowing on.

Snake2_zps0e4702d9.jpg

Edited by Foxfire
  • Like 10

And here's the Taipan to round out the set - these guys were great to paint, I really understand why everyone is going the big worm, snake like creatures are fun and you can be really different with their colouring.

Snake3_zpsd6a0d40d.jpg

And all three snakey fellows together.

AllTogetherNow-Snakes_zpsb3966e4b.jpg

Edited by Foxfire
  • Like 12

I love them all and it's great to see them side by side. The scales from the green one are amazing but the black/brown one looks great too and more scary. The eyes of the blue one stand out.

Flame on son!

Cultist of Fire #1 done. This was in the nature of an experiment with both his cloak and his dagger. My first major attempt at a colour shade blend, I think it came out ok, but something I need to practise.

It was my first go at NMM on his dagger which also turned out ok. There's the faintest hint of bright green on the tip of the dagger which is because these guys have poison daggers in game.

The main base of this guy was really quick to do, then touch ups and dropping him and getting washes and paints in the wrong spots... bleh totally blew out my time so I only got one done today.

Cultist1Front_zpsab5e5f95.jpgCultist1Back_zps070b4e84.jpg

Edited by Foxfire
  • Like 10