Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prometheus

Painting a Bones minotaur

38 posts in this topic

I thought it might me entertaining for you awesome people to see a complete beginner stumbling his way around assembling his first mini.

post-9218-0-54584500-1360493009_thumb.jpg

I tried to hide the broccoli base with green stuff but I couldn't quite get it to cooperate, there's also a mould line on the face that seems impossible to get at.

Criticism appreciated.

7 people like this

Yeah that mould line is just pure hell. I shaded in such a way as to imply that the line wasn't there. If you're careful not to let the mould line dictate the paint it's... less horrible. But still pretty horrible. I look forward to watching you suffer seeing what you do with it :P

3 people like this

You've already done more basing than I ever have or want to :)

1 person likes this

If that base is a sign of things to come, you will have a great looking mini once the paint is on :-)

1 person likes this

Good start but I recommend getting an exacto knife and just cutting straight down next to the feet and removing the base, a couple of careful cuts and the mini will be baseless and should stand on it's own. Imo It would be a better look for what your trying to do.

And I don't know about you but My mini had some hellish gaps around the left side of the neck and left arm where they attach to the body, I highly suggest some liquid green stuff in the cracks, it goes on like paint then hardens up. also if you find you applied it in the wrong amount or wrong area it scratches off very easily with an exacto knife so don't get too worried about it.

these are the areas to look at, I had to follow the seem all the way up to the top of the hair on the left side, I would do very light coats in this area as it will show as a rough area if you get too much.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78059741@N08/8462033672/'>8462033672_6fb1ceeea5.jpg

Edited by pocketcthulhu

Good start but I recommend getting an exacto knife and just cutting straight down next to the feet and removing the base, a couple of careful cuts and the mini will be baseless and should stand on it's own. Imo It would be a better look for what your trying to do.

And I don't know about you but My mini had some hellish gaps around the left side of the neck and left arm where they attach to the body, I highly suggest some liquid green stuff in the cracks, it goes on like paint then hardens up.

I was considering that but I decided to leave a large part of the base because I was concerned afraid it wouldn't be stable. If I had the tools I would try pinning it.

I thought I could use some green stuff to fix the cracks but it seems more difficult than I thought. As it stands I don't think I have the patience to wait for another week for shipping ^_^.

And I don't know about you but My mini had some hellish gaps around the left side of the neck and left arm where they attach to the body, I highly suggest some liquid green stuff in the cracks, it goes on like paint then hardens up.

I was considering that but I decided to leave a large part of the base because I was concerned afraid it wouldn't be stable. If I had the tools I would try pinning it.

I thought I could use some green stuff to fix the cracks but it seems more difficult than I thought. As it stands I don't think I have the patience to wait for another week for shipping ^_^.

I have debased all of my bones so far and haven't really had any issue as crazy glue has worked great putting them on the required 1" bases for pathfinder.

I lucked out on the Green stuff as my lfgs has a rack of citadel paints and they had some on the rack for a couple of bucks, if you have a hobby lobby or such nearby im sure they would have something that you could use. but I most certainly feel you on the shipping time.

Bones are incredibly easy to re-base and pinning isn't really necessary with the smaller figures due to how light they are. What you've done there is awesome and I can't wait to see how it comes out. As for moldlines and such.... if this is just a practice model or a casual/gaming piece just get what you can and ignore the rest. I usually don't bother with too much of this myself unless its an exchange mini or contest entry. As a last ditch effort to hide lines, if i cant get to them, is to put something over them instead. A tumbleweed or some tall grass. Street trash. A recently eviscerated enemy. Things like that.

2 people like this

I don't have one of these, but maybe paint the mold line like a scar ??

1 person likes this

I don't have one of these, but maybe paint the mold line like a scar ??

cool idea!

1 person likes this

So I've started basecoating, unfortunately the lighting is terrible right now so this is the best picture I could get.

post-9218-0-98998700-1360790383_thumb.jpg

I tried following the advise you always see in miniature discussion - thinning your paints. I'm not sure I'm doing it right though. I had a bit of a mishap while painting the red, which is why there are two different shades.

Unfortunately you followed the advice in the one instance where it's wrong: Bones don't take thinned paints as basecoats. Use them right out of the bottle for the first layer, then thin them out after that.

Oh, wait, unless you primed this guy first. In which case disregard me.

Edited by Slendertroll

I tried following the advise you always see in miniature discussion - thinning your paints. I'm not sure I'm doing it right though. I had a bit of a mishap while painting the red, which is why there are two different shades.

As one beginner to another, I'd wager you're pretty close to correct for thinning your paints. If one layer doesn't obscure any details on the mini, you're on the right track.

Just for fun, here's a few of the things I've been told from various folks on various forums on what your thinned paint should look like:

- half and half (but not half and half and half...)

- light cream (for the love of all that's holy, not regular or clotted cream!)

- skim milk (but not whole or 2% milk)

- 2% milk (but not skim or whole milk)

- bad coffee (good coffee = spoon stands up)

- tequila (but not vodka!)

Unfortunately you followed the advice in the one instance where it's wrong: Bones don't take thinned paints as basecoats. Use them right out of the bottle for the first layer, then thin them out after that.

Oh, wait, unless you primed this guy first. In which case disregard me.

The guy is indeed primed, but there were some places where the paint behaved oddly. Maybe I missed those places when priming? It is difficult to tell with white primer on Bones.