Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prometheus

Painting a Bones minotaur

38 posts in this topic

If the paint just seemed to magically slip off, or not go on from off the tip of the brush when it should have, then most likely that was unprimed bones, thinned paint. But it can be mold release, skin oils, stuff like that.

Proper procedure before priming is: wash the model in hot water with some dishwashing detergent after trimming, gluing, etc., is complete to get fingerprints and the like off it. You can scrub with an old toothbrush or a stiff bristle paint brush, etc. Rinse thoroughly and dry.

1 person likes this

If you don't get good coverage with thinned paint, just go back over it again. I don't thin my base coats anything near what I do for layering, maybe one drop of water to three drops of paint. Even that will usually need a couple coats, sometimes it's just stubborn. It takes as many coats as it takes, keep plugging away until it's on smooth.

The upside is, this is when you learn the details of the mini and can plan out things more specifically.

1 person likes this

Pretty much what Cash said is my approach to primed minis. For Bones, I just wash 'em and basecoat straight out of the pot.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Progress is slow, mostly due to difficulty finding time to paint.

post-9218-0-38884000-1361018962_thumb.jpgpost-9218-0-62950400-1361018978_thumb.jpg

I think I've got the black pretty smooth but there are still some places that need more coats. The red is still proving troublesome (most likely because I'm actually not entirely sure how I want it).

I'd like your input on the horns. I don't have any bone colour so I tried mixing some, not sure I like what I got though. I am also not sure what to do with the metal (for some reason it looks really good in the first picture, the second picture is closer to how it looks in person).

Edited by Prometheus
3 people like this

The horns look like you painted them with bone colored paint, so I'd say you mixed it up pretty good. Try thinning some black paint and painting along the edge of the blade like in the first photo, maybe do a wash on the sides of the blade and see if you like that better. You can always paint back over it.

Unfortunately you followed the advice in the one instance where it's wrong: Bones don't take thinned paints as basecoats. Use them right out of the bottle for the first layer, then thin them out after that.

Oh, wait, unless you primed this guy first. In which case disregard me.

The guy is indeed primed, but there were some places where the paint behaved oddly. Maybe I missed those places when priming? It is difficult to tell with white primer on Bones.

That would be my bet, try adding a tiny drop of paint with your primer, My minotaur was baby blue for a while.

Edited by pocketcthulhu

I am also not sure what to do with the metal (for some reason it looks really good in the first picture, the second picture is closer to how it looks in person).

Kinda hard to tell what's going on with the axe, it almost looks like you went to heavy on the paint and you have some heavy brush strokes showing. If that's the case all I can suggest is clean the paint off the axe re prime it and do thin coats of paint until you have a smooth finish.

I'm assuming your using a metallic paint as I have seen something similar when i first started painting.

Edited by pocketcthulhu

I'd also recommend a black undercoat for anything you're using metallic silver paint on. Use a dark brown undercoat for anything with gold metallic paint.

If you leave it white you'll get that streaky effect you see on the back of his axe.

WIth metallics as well, don't just lather it on, put a bit on the brush and then wipe about half of it off and you'll get a much thinner coat with some of the base darkening it and it looks much nicer.

So close to finish basecoating...

I basecoated his cleaver thing black before going over with the metallic, it does indeed look better, though a little darker than I want it.

post-9218-0-88323200-1361297953_thumb.jpg

I have no idea where I'm going with this rock colour.

1 person likes this

I have no idea where I'm going with this rock colour.

Rocks are pretty forgiving things to paint, given how widely they vary in colour in nature. So who cares if you don't know, just keep going and see where it leads you! :)

Mostly finished with basecoating, some leather bits need another coat and I've missed some spots on the base. I did the eyes, I think this guy is a little asymmetrical, one eye seems a lot more sunk in than the other (and came out a lot better).

I also put some experimental highlights on his fur (the smooth parts not the "furry" ones) but I'm worried of overdoing it and I don't think you can even see them in the pictures.

post-9218-0-48920200-1361566091_thumb.jpgpost-9218-0-43533800-1361566093_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the bad pictures, the sun sets too early.

Edited by Prometheus
1 person likes this

The horns look like you painted them with bone colored paint, so I'd say you mixed it up pretty good.

Agreed, looks like a fair match for my Coat D'Arms bone.

Also, the pink in the mino's mouth looks pretty good.

I've done some more layering on the fur to the point where you might actually have a chance to see some slight highlights. I also tried drybrushing the furry bits grey, with mixed result (I think it looks good on the head, less so on the tail).

I went over the rocks with some grey to bring the saturation down a tad, not sure if more is needed.

I also started painting the midtones on the parts that's supposed to be leather (axe wrapping, sash, arm-belt thing).

post-9218-0-62937600-1361913058_thumb.jpgpost-9218-0-94828400-1361913059_thumb.jpg

Looking at the pictures I still see some places where I'll need to touch up on the base and soon-to-be-metal parts.

The red is still fighting me ::(: .

3 people like this

He is really starting to come alive, looking good.

I feel your pain on the red, I'm doing a cloak right now and next paint session I'm taking it back to square one. I think red is just "one of those colors" that's hard to do.

I used a really dark purple applied very thin in multiple layers for some shading one time on red and thought it looked ok.

Red, like black and white, seems to be a tough colour for a lot of us to paint. I've found a few things that seem to help (examples in this thread), though I'm by no means a pro at this:

1. Try shading with a thinned down dark purple, it makes the red, well...more red. I've been told dark greens can do this as well.

2. Reaper makes a pretty nifty paint (additive?) called Clear Red that, when glazed on top of an existing colour, really brings out a red tone (also works great, very, very thinned down, on things like cheeks and noses to just slightly tint them red)

3. Yellow and oranges, really thinned down, make great highlights for reds

For just a standard, non-fire red, here's a base recipe for RMS paints that, in my opinion, works well:

Base Coat: Carnage Red

First Highlight: Blood Red

Higher Highlight: Fire Red/Pale Flesh (75/25 mix)

First Shadow: Deep Red

Deepest Shadow: Imperial Purple

Lots of folks also very, very, very highly recommend Vallejo (GC or MC) reds.

2 people like this