Thrym

Basing all those Bones Kickstarters

242 posts in this topic

Thats a good idea. My poor small metal ones are about the size of the current regular marines. I recently got a finecast terminator librarian in a random lot and it was (slight hyperbole here) like comparing a marine and a dreadnought!

1 person likes this

yeah that model is massive for what it is. i got lucky in that my failcasting that time was actually a finecasting. He's got a sweet elf base too.

Posted the finished Werewolf with the plastic tile base to Show Off and finished up the WIP.

More base work to come this weekend I hope.

1 person likes this

Hirst Art Blocks like the guy on the far left of this picture.

247065_sm-Games%20Workshop%2C%20Reaper%2

I have to admit the Hirst Arts tile looks pretty awesome even if it is a little bulky. What did you use to cast it?

I plan on playing with my Hirst Arts molds.

I have several that will work nicely for basing and if I do not fill the mold completely, it will not be quite as thick.

I use Die Keen dental stone, as it is the strongest one that I can find.

Once I get a few castings done, I will take a few pictures.

1 person likes this

I have based up some bones on that same tile. Chunky, yes, bit it looks really good for close to zero effort. Slice off excess Bone, glue down with Selley's Ultra Repair flexible glue, VMC stone grey, army painter strong tone INK. Mop up some excess, wipe down some highlights, base done!

Well...those colored tiles looked like a nice idea, but the price at the Canadian Amazon store is $50.99

trust me, that's still a lot better than many alternatives.

So, correction to my earlier post about galvanized washers for basing; I picked up a box of 100 washers for $9.99 USD for the 1" and the 1.5" sizes, putting the cost at $0.10 each. I'm not likely to go through the 1.5" washers in my lifetime, but they look good under the larger models, like the troll and ogre. I also picked up a few 2" washers for some of the really big ones, like the girffon of the giants. Altough the male storm giant might have too wide of a stance for even that size.

1 person likes this

Just ordered my bases today, realising that I hadn't gotten any yet and the Bones could be here next month. I opted for the 25mm square lipped bases from em4; they work out at about NZ 10c each and I figure I just need to cut down the integral base to fit, then fill the rest of the base with PVA and sand. Should be pretty easy.

Plus, it gives me an excuse to get some of their figures that I've been after for a while...

Edited by Dai-Mongar

Got in the masses of cheap chinese round bases (slotted), they are a slightly different plastic then the 'usual', but they work quite nicely. Can recommend for the price.

For those looking for the plastic squares try educational suppliers.

I still have a little bit of research to do, but at this stage I may have found 25mm magnetised square bases for $12 (Oz) for 50. That's about $36 to base all the medium creatures in the basic vampire kit with all the options and already have them magnetised ready for status markers etc.

Once I have a confirm on the magnetic ones I'll post links for folks as well, but the gist is, look for "counters math" on Google and use the shop with google option to check through and find the ones you are looking for, I found a seller in my state who has the 400 25mm squares (not magnetic) listed for under $10 (the rest of the cost is postage).

Once I have a confirm on the magnetic ones I'll post links for folks as well, but the gist is, look for "counters math" on Google and use the shop with google option to check through and find the ones you are looking for, I found a seller in my state who has the 400 25mm squares (not magnetic) listed for under $10 (the rest of the cost is postage).

Were they listed as 25mm? I've usually seen those sold in 1" size. The difference is tiny, 1" =25.4mm, but it is there and the difference could matter for a lazer cut movement / display tray. And some wargamers can get kinda anal retentive about the tiniest things.

Edited by Frankthedm

So, correction to my earlier post about galvanized washers for basing; I picked up a box of 100 washers for $9.99 USD for the 1" and the 1.5" sizes, putting the cost at $0.10 each. I'm not likely to go through the 1.5" washers in my lifetime, but they look good under the larger models, like the troll and ogre. I also picked up a few 2" washers for some of the really big ones, like the girffon of the giants. Altough the male storm giant might have too wide of a stance for even that size.

Ten cents each for the 1.5" is a decent price. A can opener might help you find a base for the storm giant.

Edited by Frankthedm