matsumoto

White Wolf Publishing is done

25 posts in this topic

Hello, once again.

Well, i find myself often too busy to post on just any random topic...(and i'm serious about my signature tag...) but i came across some news that is likley old to most of you, but new to me...

White Wolf Publishing will no longer be producing RPG games.

they are essentially just a developer branch of CCP now.

Onyx Path took over their big liscences, but they are doing it through Drive Thru RPG...

give me a moment:

The White Wolf games are what really made a gamer out of me. I played two campaigns of ADnD, and they didn't do it for me. But i was then invited to a Werewolf the Apocalypse campaign by my bud Dedros, back in 1996...the tribalism, the level of intensity, and the high-end customization combined with the strange 'Conspiracy and Dark Gods' feel of the meta made me hooked. When i ran ADnD campaigns...i took that storytelling and smart-world design concept and brough tit with me.

"too bad about new WOD, eh?"

yeah, this would be harsher news had WW not pulled that little trick...

this company, despite it's flaws, did me well....

Well, Onyx Path is made up of a bunch of the WoD guys and they are now producing content for both NWoD and OWoD, so I'd say things are still bright. I own the Vampire 20th anniversary edition, kickstarted the companion (which sucked) and have heard great things about the Children of the Revolution. Hunters Hunted 2 is actually still be Kickstarted with 18 hours left! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/deluxe-hunters-hunted-ii?ref=live

1 person likes this

Oddly, I'd have expected them to be doing well what with all the vampire/werewolf fever going around pop culture land.

This was announced last summer at Gencon. Personally I found White Wolf games fun to read, great fluff and settings, but not my thing rules wise.

3 people like this

I feel the same as MonkySloth, played Vampire and Werewolf a few times but the old bucket of D10 system wasn't really my thing.

The Mind's Eye Theater has also been bought by some old writers for White wolf as well and they are gong to be re-releasing them with updates. They have a FB page started By Night Studios. Which is making me itch for Vampire the Masquerade again as well as Werewolf.

http://www.facebook.com/ByNightStudios Hope that link works.....

I felt much the same way when TSR ceased to be a thing.

"What? WHAT? THE 800 POUND GORILLA OF RPG GAMING IS NO MORE?"

And Avalon Hill's passing did the same for me on boardgaming.

Sigh. This, too, must pass...

4 people like this

I felt much the same way when TSR ceased to be a thing.

"What? WHAT? THE 800 POUND GORILLA OF RPG GAMING IS NO MORE?"

And Avalon Hill's passing did the same for me on boardgaming.

Sigh. This, too, must pass...

Avalon Hill? Really they were just absorbed, like TSR, into the entity that is Hasbro. Really the 800 pound Gorilla of boardgaming was SPI.

Posted (edited)

On 2013-02-23 at 9:46 AM, Heisler said:

Avalon Hill? Really they were just absorbed, like TSR, into the entity that is Hasbro. Really the 800 pound Gorilla of boardgaming was SPI.

But, SPI was absorbed by TSR . . .

The Egg

Edited by Egg of Coot

16 minutes ago, Egg of Coot said:

But, SPI was absorbed by TSR . . .

The Egg

True but all they did was publish a couple of games that were basically already in the printers hands and publish S&T till they could sell it off. They never reprinted any of the old SPI games or developed any new ones. Hasebro has done slightly better with AH but for all intents and purposes they are both gone. TSR at least still lives on in spirit as D&D continues to be published in one form or another.

Image result for thread necromancy

6 people like this

Well, SPI was absorbed by TSR in payment for a bill. TSR loaned SPI money, and when they couldn't pay, that was it.

It is my understanding that the situation where WotC absorbed TSR was actually pretty similar. 

It irks me that Avalon Hill's amazing catalog of excellent historical wargames isn't available, though. Just Betrayal At House On The Hill and a few others, to my knowledge. The age of counter and dice and hexboard is no more.

3 people like this

6 hours ago, etherial said:

Image result for thread necromancy

:huh:  Oi!  I protest!  I do not believe my post was particularly inane.

7 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SamuraiJack

About this project
      They say there have been eight worlds before ours. Eight times the people of this Earth, over vast millennia, built their civilizations, reaching heights we cannot even fully imagine now. They spoke to the stars, reshaped the creatures of the world, and mastered form and essence. They built cities and machines that have since crumbled to dust, leaving only their barest remnants.
      This is the Ninth World. The people of the prior worlds are gone—scattered, disappeared, or transcended. But their works remain, in the places and devices that still contain some germ of their original function. Some call these magic, but the wise know that these are our legacy. They are our future. They are the...
      Set a billion years in our future, Numenera is a tabletop roleplaying game about exploration and discovery. The people of the Ninth World suffer through a dark age, an era of isolation and struggle in the shadow of the ancient wonders crafted by advanced civilizations now millennia gone. But discovery awaits for those brave enough to seek out the works of the prior worlds. Those who uncover and master the numenera can unlock the powers and abilities of the ancients, and bring new light to a struggling world.
      The original Numenera RPG was launched via a 2012 Kickstarter campaign that shattered every record (at the time) for tabletop RPGs. The corebook has seen four printings, and Numenera is enjoyed by tens of thousands of gamers in an active global community. We have published over 60 supplements and accessories, and released a terrific starter set for new players. The Ninth World has spawned a critically-acclaimed hit computer game, board games, an excellent short film, a line of novels, and other licensed items, and Numenera has been translated into many languages including French, Spanish, Italian, Korean, German, and Portuguese.
      Numenera is a game in which player characters explore the ruins of aeons past to gather amazing treasures and help build a new future for a world struggling in darkness. Since the launch of Numenera in 2013, we have delivered well on the first part, but we’ve always wanted to do a more thorough job exploring that second part. That desire has led us to Numenera 2 and this Kickstarter campaign.
      Through this Kickstarter we’re going to replace the existing corebook with two new corebooks. The first is called Numenera Discovery and the second Numenera Destiny.
      Numenera Discovery will be a book that covers familiar territory; it is basically a revision of the original Numenera corebook. Next summer, we will allow the original corebook to go out of print, and Numenera Discovery will take its place. In Numenera Discovery, you’ll get some revisions to make things clearer and more fun, and to increase the options available to players. Nanos, Jacks, and Glaives will get an overhaul. Many foci and some of the descriptors might see some reworking. You’ll have more options, clearer rules, and perhaps a bit of expansion to the regions of the Steadfast and the Beyond that are covered in the existing corebook.

But Numenera Discovery is not a new edition. We will make virtually no changes to the way the game plays mechanically—and none of those changes affect the way NPCs, creatures, or items like cyphers or artifacts work. We also won’t be making changes to the setting. So if you already play Numenera, your bestiaries, adventures, card decks, character portfolios, and books like Into the Night, Technology Compendium, and Jade Colossus will not be affected by these changes. We will not issue any “second editions” of the existing supporting titles—and if you choose not to get Numenera Discovery, future Numenera supplements will work fine with your existing Numenera corebook. Your ongoing campaign will flow smoothly through the change in corebooks. You will even be able to mix existing characters with those from Numenera Discovery into your game. In fact, the game can be played with both the existing corebook and Numenera Discovery in use at the same game table!
      (One small exception: Numenera Character Options and Numenera Character Options 2 will remain compatible, but will become substantially less relevant following the improvements to characters in Numenera Discovery. We will retire those titles.)
      As excited as we are about Numenera Discovery, we may be even more excited about Numenera Destiny. This title will enable characters to truly become a part of the setting—to help shape the future of the Ninth World. The people of the Ninth World are locked in a medieval-like state, a world of struggle and danger and often suffering in the shadow of the prior worlds’ wonders. Numenera Destiny allows you to build adventures and campaigns in which players don’t just explore the wonders of the past—they utilize them to help lift the Ninth World out of darkness.
      You can make the world a better place. Help a community defend itself from abhumans or the iron wind. Create centers of learning or trade. Innovate, build, and protect. Manage an entire community and help it prosper and grow—or simply create a cool base or vehicle for your adventuring group. Numenera Destiny will allow you to take what you discover and make your mark on history as someone who elevated the Ninth World into the future.
      Adventuring—exploring the weird and wondrous remnants of the prior worlds—remains, of course, at the core of Numenera play. Numenera Destiny will give you new things to do with your discoveries, along with entirely new and epic ways to structure your campaigns. You’ll discover materials, power sources, and treasures that you can utilize in an entirely new, robust crafting and building system. And perhaps best of all, Numenera Destiny will offer three new character types and a number of new descriptors and foci geared toward this innovative style of play.
    • By Darcstaar

Rise of the Runelords, Anniversary Edition 
      Paizo Publishing
      First Printing 2012
      Utilizing rules from the Pathfinder Core Rulebook, related to OGL 1.0a
      James Jacobs et al

• By justcallmej
      Reconstructed and redesigned in response to your input, Stronghold on the Borderlands has been reimagined as a MASSIVE digital, infinite fort design for 3dprinting. This Design will offer more than SIX TIMES the digital content for the SAME PRICE as our initial launch! Original resin options will also remain with many NEW add-on options. 

• By Darcstaar
      Since many games have stalled waiting on one player, do the "regulars" have any interest in Rise of the Runelords?

I have read through 80% of it.
      I'd be OK if you've played some of part I, but not read it.

If there is interest for 4 players, I'll put up character creation rules.
    • By Crowley
      https://devilghost.com/software/travellercharacter/
      Go to this site, and post  the first character you generate!

I'm curious how many of you survive...
  • Who's Online   25 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)