Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SamuraiJack

Micro Art Studio Graveyard bases..

15 posts in this topic

that's a very poorly maintained graveyard, the caretake should be ashamed of himself

3 people like this

that's a very poorly maintained graveyard, the caretake should be ashamed of himself

You try digging and weeding with a huge hunched back. And master never shuts up about bringing him some brains. Next time I'm going to substitute a cow brain, just to mess with him.

1 person likes this

Sometimes their 20x20 like these are a little too much.. but their bigger ones work better

It reminded me of when I was painting GW's Garden of Morr and there's all these skulls impaled on the railings. I could only conclude that people were just chucking in the bodies from the outside and some of them didn't quite make it.

I'm still kind of new to all these base sizings. Isn't 20mm a bit small? I thought 30mm was standard base size?

20mm is standard for regular human sized figures in games where they are formed up into regiments. Pretty much all of Warhammer, for example, is 20mm bases with things like Beastmen and Chaos Warriors on 25mm.

If I recall correctly I think 30mm round has become more common nowadays for skirmish style gaming. I don't remember seeing those regularly until Warmachine.

Edited by Nocturne

Since I don't game with mine, I'm more concerned that they fit on it :) I've only rebased two and the Drone's feet hang over the edge of the back 2 base ix, I think that was 25mm (and he's not very big, probably the smallest I've done). It must be quite limiting to have to cram something onto a 20mm?

all I can think is "New page to book mark and make wish list for." oh and where are the Zombies?

Not really, usually the figures are designed for it depending on the rules system, and why multi-part figures were a blessing so they could be properly posisitoned to form up as a unit. It probably seems that way due to scale creep over the years, you're more likely to come across 'heroic' 28mm and up now than when everything was true 25 or 28mm. The key was to normally get the unit assembled and based as one so everything fit. There have been some figures that just didn't suit it, the old old plastic Skaven were often marching in diagonals.

EDIT NOTE: This was often because the slotta-bases provided had a diagonal slot and the figures tab would be designed to run either left to right or front to back instead, and people were inexperienced/lazy so would base the figure as is rather than removing the tab.

Edited by Nocturne

Hmn. New bases. I rather liked their old graveyard bases. No longer on the website, I guess they are discontinued?

Graveyard%20Bases%20Cavalry.jpg

Funny you should post those, Inarah, I was thinking calvary bases might be fun for mounting regular models. Lots of space to position them however and I don't have to worry about fitting game rules.

The main issue I see (and apologies for making this more of a general basing thread) is that the case I have (a hard shell Chessex) doesn't accomodate the bigger bases I like. I put Ororo on what I think was a 30mm lipped round and she won't fit in there. The more vertical Battlefoam cases (I have the Sedition Wars game box tray) looks better for that kind of thing, but I think the Reaper cases (of which I probably bought too many!) are the Chessex horizontal style.

I've been toying with making some based props for use in game. Chairs, tombstones, etc. It would be nice if these weren't all ruined. But I can see what they were going for.

There's a good selection of tombstones on Hirst Arts' graveyard mould (46)