Stern Kestrelmann

1:20 Scale T-Rex

36 posts in this topic

Well, I am planned to tackle this project over the next 2-3 week. This 1:20 Tyranusaurus Rex model is a real beauty. Several years ago, I painted and posted a 1:30 scale model here, but this is by far the largest scale dinosaur I have ever attempted. Here are a few shots of the pieces pre-assembly. I have also included a picture of my assistant, Tabitha, who told me "I want to be a paleontologist when I grow up" She's 4.

My plan:

1. Assemble (glue, pin and putty)

1a. Do a poor job on the puttying tail joint.

2. Spray prime black

3. Hand paint base skin

3a Layer skins dark to light

4. consider paint camo markings (?)

5. paint details (eyes, mouth, claws, etc)

6. mount base on small wooden base

7. Spray sealer (dullcote)

8. Photo Opp.

SK

post-43-0-97094100-1361735119_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-84343600-1361735127_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-52711500-1361735137_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-62992200-1361735150_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-41368000-1361735160_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-44086100-1361735172_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-92144700-1361735181_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-55260500-1361735194_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stern Kestrelmann
9 people like this

That's quite the project! I have a hard time mustering up the courage to do something that would fit on a 50mm base let alone something that size.

While I approve I would go from interested to banging down your door if it was a 28mm scale trex.

I love dinosaurs. Growing up in Alberta there was a lot of opportunity to see skeletons, statues, and fossils of them.

I look forward to following your projects progress and echo the request for where that model is from.

And it looks like you have a first class assistance. Many pluses for including the young'un in your hobby.

Edited by Darsc Zacal

Do I see sections where the resin still appears clear-ish? If so, please let me extend my experience that normal spray primers (like Krylon) can cause those sections to "reactivate" and "weep," becoming liquidy and ruining the piece. I have found Gesso to be a reasonable and useful alternative where spots like that occur. Covers without any activating of the chemicals.

1 person likes this

Hey thanks gang.

I hear you Monkey Sloth, I prefer smaller scale, but every once in a while I like to go big for the challenge. I went thru a 1:12 scale Tamiya phase for a while. The only other dinosaur of this scale that I attempted were a couple of 1:30 scale resin pieces, a T-Rex and a Triceratops.

Yo pocket! Find me a nice 28mm T-Rex and I'll see what I can do. :;):

Meta, it's not a Collecta, it's a small company in California. Just type in 1:20 Scale Dinosaur on e-bay. If you really want to blow your mind, type in 1:10 Dinosaur... ::o:

DZ, hey thanks. I managed to get the two head pieces pinned, glued, and puttied (sp?). I also got the base leg pinned, glued, and puttied too. The real trick for me in pre-paint, is securely attaching the leg to the base. The entire model is attached to the base on a surface area the size of a dime (at best).

Brunn, thanks for the tips man. You're right there are a few sections where the resin looks different, like he had to re-cast sections in a different material. Would I apply the gesso with a brush on those sections?

I'll try and snap a couple of pics tonight.

SK

Okay, made some good progress on Sunday and Monday... Managed to get everything pinned, glued, and puttied.

Pay no attention to the beared man...

SK

post-43-0-69141900-1361920122_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-98057600-1361920130_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-61903800-1361920137_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-12809900-1361920146_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-93634800-1361920161_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-96121900-1361920168_thumb.jpg

6 people like this

Nice work so far Stern! Since this model is so big I was wondering did you thought of using color primer as a base coat? It could save your precious time.

Meta: Good point, I am still trying to consider my paint options...

My three primary concerns are 1) handling the model while working on it, 2) planning and executing the proper camo skin pattern, and (3 a stable mounting point on the base.

Baugi: I have The Beards 2012 CD! It's a lot of fun listening to it at work. My collegues suprised me with the CD as a gift last week. Last shaved July 26, 2012.

Plan to get me some primer applied this weekend, on the T-Rex not my Beard.

SK and B

1 person likes this

Man, I've got some serious beard envy happening right now. Is that 2012 date correct and that beard is only 7 months old? Mine is over a year and only about half as awesome.

Do I see sections where the resin still appears clear-ish? If so, please let me extend my experience that normal spray primers (like Krylon) can cause those sections to "reactivate" and "weep," becoming liquidy and ruining the piece. I have found Gesso to be a reasonable and useful alternative where spots like that occur. Covers without any activating of the chemicals.

Yeah, just brush it on. If it goes on thick, keep brushing it out until you can see the detail through the Gesso. Gesso is nice in that it then will stretch and tighten as it dries. And it's totally okay to spray your normal primer over it after.

My three primary concerns are 1) handling the model while working on it,

Looks like you've got a little helper there to hold things for ya. ^_^

You could pin it to a temporary base to use while handling it. I'm just not sure what would be big enough and still convenient...

How heavy is it?

Are you planning to base it once you are finished? A 10 - 20 lb barbell plate would give it some good heft and be around the right size. :)