Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JackMann

Lawrence Gannu, Wererat (DCC Minis)

11 posts in this topic

Finished up another mini. This one was a bit better. It helped that it involved a lot of fur. I still suck at shading and highlighting, but it's easier with fur.

This is actually one part of a multi-part set. He also has a human form, and several rat companions.

Also, I have five more sets of him.

Yeah, I'll be coming back to this again sometime.

gannuface_zpsf5a46b7e.jpg

He came with an integral base, so I just gave that a nice, thin coat of chestnut over the gray primer, used some Citadel camoshade over that, and added a little bit of greenery to represent moss. The moss didn't come out exactly like I wanted. I was hoping to get it into the cracks, so it would look a bit more natural, but it didn't want to cooperate. Alas.

gannuright_zps3f421ea4.jpg

I know what you're thinking. "Jack," you're thinking, "that is the worst looking rat's tail I have ever seen. And I have seen a lot of rat's tails over the years." To be fair, the tail is entirely smooth. In hindsight, I probably should have tried scoring it a bit to give it some texture. Maybe next time. That doesn't excuse the piss-poor job of shading. You probably can't even tell that shading occurred, and it took me several coats of repair to get it that far. You should've seen it when I first tried shading it. I cannot blend for beans.

gannuback_zps9ba60c87.jpg

Here you can see the soles of his feet. I gave 'em a nice flesh color to show he was still part human, and then made 'em dirty as heck. He looks a bit like a sasquatch, I think.

gannuleft_zps47a8b213.jpg

Here you can see how I tried to go for some blood dripping from his sword and teeth.

gannucloseup_zpsd711d8fb.jpg

Here's a close-up of Gannu's face. Ugly cuss, isn't he?

4 people like this

Picture is kinda making it hard to see, I think it needs more light (like I'm one to talk about photos, mine are horrible). His head looks cool though and I think the moss looks fine.

Edited by Spinward Bound

I'm not sure, like I said I'm really bad at taking pics. Maybe somebody with better photo-fu can say.

I'd put him in front of a dark background. Since he's so dark himself, your camera will bring the color of the whole photo up, which should make him look better. As it is, he's sorta' washed out by all the white behind him.

What I can see looks great though!

Coolness.

A round or triangular file used crosswise on the tail should give you a nice ratly texture the next time you do one of these guys.

I went ahead and finished up the human version of Gannu this morning.

gannuhumanfront_zps7706d8ae.jpg

One issue I had is that the eyes on this guy are tiny. Attempted the Bette Davis Eyes method from The Craft, but my fine control's a little lacking at that scale. Still, it was good practice.

I did some brownlining around the edges of things. As you can tell, I still need to learn to be a little more subtle.

gannuhumanback_zps31f3fcde.jpg

Here we have a rearview of our wererat. The funnest part of this was going over everything with the various shades. Probably could have stood to use some more earthshade. He's not quite as grimy as I was hoping.

gannuhumanright_zps147a4f75.jpg

I used some more of the old Citadel chestnut ink I bought a while back on the base, with some camoshade over it. Unfortunately, shortly after I finished this, I knocked the bottle over, losing a good portion of it. I am chagrined and full of sorrow.

You'll also notice his rather prominent mold line. In my defense, these DCC minis are like ten percent flash by weight. It took me about an hour to get the two minis cleaned up to the point I had 'em prior to priming.

gannubothright_zpsc4b85c45.jpg

Here we have the two of them together. His wererat form is a lot nicer in the blue background. I tried black, but he ended up completely washed out.

gannubothleft_zps5c4a12f8.jpg

And another of the two together, so you can see the other side of the rat.

4 people like this

For the tail, if you find filing and scoring to much bother then you could always try making a slightly darker version of your tail colour and painting bands on it. It won't look as good due to the lack of actual depth but you might get a decent illusion of depth nonetheless.

I like the "mossy dungeon floor" effect on those bases! For a moment, I saw the guy holding the thing in the air and pointing at the rat, and I thought he was holding up a piece of cheese ... until I saw the figure at another angle. :D

I really like how you painted Lawrence Gannu. I have him on my table in the moment and it is possible that I will paint him this evening.