Namerfrats

What do you guys do with your miniatures?

119 posts in this topic

Collect? Paint? Use in miniature tabletop gaming? Etc. I was buying Reaper Minis about 7 years ago....and then got tied up in some other hobbies. Had about 75 DHL minis primered and ready for paint. Ended up selling them all and never painting a single one. Now I've gotten interested again.....getting ready to buy a few more DHL minis. Plan to actually paint these and display them. Just curious what most of you guys here do with them. If you use them for gaming.....what types of games can DHL minis be used in?

I mention the Dark Heaven Legends as I'm fond of most of that line and usually only buy from those....with the exception of a few random ones from other lines. I usually stick with knights, mercs, vikongs, etc. Human military and the Skeleton army minis.

1 person likes this

Pretty much what you said. Collect. Paint. Use in tabletop games.

Thought to be honest, in the past few years its mostly been the collecting. Lots of collecting. Collecting. Collecting. Collecting. With a bit of occasional painting. Very occasional. My actual gaming these days is few and far between.

Games I'd like to use them with? For wargaming, it would be Mantics Kings of War. For Fantasy RPGing I'd love to get back into some old school AD&D. For Pulp adventures Bob Murch of Pulp Figures miniatures fame has a ruleseat in ongoing development that's available online. For the scifi and modern day minis I'd probably use them with Sedition Wars and/or Zombicide.

Right this moment though, most of them are sitting in boxes on shelves and in drawers and Rubbermaid containers.

I believe I have started transitioning from collecting to hoarding.

I started using them for RPGs, found out there were some games attached, so I bought more. Bought more that looked cool. Bought more for RPGs. Bought more that were "collectible"/ LE. Bought more because my kids are getting interested in dad's tin soldiers.

I have dreams of painting them, but painting often takes a back seat to everything else right now. I'm not a fast painter on a good day. I figure I have enough minis now to paint to last me a lifetime. Oh, new releases? Sweet, let me see...

4 people like this

Most of the Reapers I buy get used in RPGs, Pathfinder mostly, other d20 derivatives and an occasional other. I have been getting into some of the newer wargames from smaller, newer companies that encourage you to proxy in models from other companies where they do not have models themselves, or just for variety. Mantic, for instance, and their Kings of War game. They do not yet have human models for their human armies, and they also encourage use of other companies' stuff in their orc armies, etc.

The more uses for my minis, the less guilty I feel about acquiring them. I collect them, paint them up, and use them for gaming.

1 person likes this

I just collect and paint mine, sadly a certain well-known tabletop wargaming company has such a stranglehold on the local gaming scene, no one plays anything else!

1 person likes this

Paint them and then use them for the dnd 4e game I DM. I'd like to get into more rpgs but have just got my head around 4e

Collect, paint, wargame, in pretty much that order. I get a game or two in per year, usually.

Collect? Paint? Use in miniature tabletop gaming? Etc. I was buying Reaper Minis about 7 years ago....and then got tied up in some other hobbies. Had about 75 DHL minis primered and ready for paint. Ended up selling them all and never painting a single one. Now I've gotten interested again.....getting ready to buy a few more DHL minis. Plan to actually paint these and display them. Just curious what most of you guys here do with them. If you use them for gaming.....what types of games can DHL minis be used in?

I mention the Dark Heaven Legends as I'm fond of most of that line and usually only buy from those....with the exception of a few random ones from other lines. I usually stick with knights, mercs, vikongs, etc. Human military and the Skeleton army minis.

yes, yes, yes. The ones I will use most, or the ones that I like looking, at go on a hand built shelf unit hung on the wall. my army will eventually find its way into a storage box (as to give me more room on the wall, and the rest go into a index card drawer.

for me the minis have to be interesting to paint (or at least look like they would be when I purchase them) and they must be able to be used on the game table, with a few exceptions

welcome back

Collect, occasionally paint and mod, and game with them. There are some that I buy for characters, some I buy because they're cool/pretty, and some I buy because they're mouslings. So far I have a lot more waiting to be painted, than those that have been painted and played with. But I'm happy with the ones that have been painted and played with ::):

1 person likes this

Right now I'm collecting and painting mostly.

However I have every intention of moving that to include "use for gaming" as well again at some stage, I'll certainly have painted enough of my minis by the end of this year that it will not be so hard to use my stuff for various purposes.

Games I aim to use Reaper minis for: Song of Blades and Heroes, Warlord, and various DnD incarnations.

Typically, I sit in the gloom of my basement, stroking them lovingly, while muttering "My Precioussss..." to them.

Edited by TaleSpinner
7 people like this

I acquired most of mine for war gaming, then stopped playing for a decade.

Now I collect, am starting to paint again, and use them, and a vast horde of prepainted D&D figs, for RPGs.

I'd like to get back into some sort of miniatures game over the next few years, and I've seen some interesting sounding games in this thread to check out....