Wilwarin

The Dwarven Brewmeister

This little diorama took about a month or so to paint and I enjoyed each moment. My son (5) chose the color scheme and this is the first time I've used the bendable trees. I'm really proud of it :) Enjoy! Excuse the shininess as it's been varnished.

post-4937-0-62854000-1362108066_thumb.jpg

• Like 20

Love it. Nice work. I really like the little scene you created, and the colour scheme works very well, whether a 5 or a 55 chose it. Your son has an eye for it.

One question as its hard to tell from the photo. Did you paint the trees at all or drybrush them?

• Like 1

WOOOO!!!! DWARVES!!!! Great work here Angela, your kid did a great job picking the color scheme and the painting is really well done. One thing I would have liked to have seen is some freehand woodgrain painted onto the tree trunks and branches, as of right now they lack the contrast and "oomph" that the rest of the scene has.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words! For the trees, since it was the first time I've used them, drybrushing on them was far from my mind. I was lucky to get the flock to stick! LOL However, now that I'm a wee bit more comfortable with them, I'll definitely drybrush in the future.

Darsc: Thanks! He does have a very good eye and is very artistic. :D

I especially like the dwarf in the front drinking from the tankard.

Dude carrying the barrel must be well miffed.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Marineal
      I decided to stop being silly and start posting my progress here. :)
      For this diorama, I'm using 02648: Schumacher, 03631: Quoralei, and 77511: Xiloxoch with some pretty heavy modifications.
      This is going to be a long post. Strap in and get ready!

The concept for my diorama starts with me deciding what a swamp mermaid (or 'Meremaid) looked like. I got on pinterest and started looking around for evil mermaids, etc. I know that, historically, mermaids/sirens lured men to their death, but generally speaking people think more Ariel anymore. I didn't want that. I wanted something that looked pretty on top, was deadly under the water. When I was searching for miniatures, I would find one or the other, so I knew I would have to do some converting. I also knew I wanted a kneeling man, preferably with an outreaching arm. After some searching on my own, and asking around on the forums, I ended up deciding on these component pieces.

The man was going to be the easiest conversion, so let's start with him. 
      I pretty much just cut off his sword, modeled a thumb (cause I accidentally snipped it!), and bent his arm.
      it 
      I'm going to go back in and reduce that thumb a little, but it was arguing and I was tired. :) It will be painted like a glove since it has some separation from the sleeve now. I would love it if I could either unbend his fingers or sculpt new ones on, but that did not look right when I tried it. I may end up doing a complete hand transplant, but we'll see.

Next up, my 'Meremaid. 
      The reason I've been doing all this practice resin is that I want her to be submerged from the waist down. I'm not interested in doing a whole lot of converting and painting and then having my resin screw up and wanting to die. :)
      So, started with 2 component parts:

This is after both had some cropping done. I removed the head of the naga, and the dangly bits from Quoralei's arms. They were just getting in the way, and not what I imagined for her. 
      Then a little more surgery:

That was a scary cut to commit to. Even though I can order more and nothing is set in stone, it was worrisome.
      Test fitting her into her new legs:

See how her neck is bent funny? I think she had some difficulty somewhere along the way. I straightened out her head and one of her arms a bit, and I think it made a big difference. I had started this mini last year sometime as a quick paintjob that I then hated. That's why she's got some paint on her. I also decided I wanted to redo the 'fins' on her back, so she has some weird growths for a bit. :)
      Greenstuff begins! I am by no means a master sculptor (see the above thumb), but I feel like I did this justice, especially considering it will be somewhat submerged.

I knew I wanted some sort of dorsal fins on her, I just had to make them myself. I used pieces of the existing model and cut them up and thinned them out a bit to give the effect I was looking for. A little smoothing, a little priming, and she looks good as new!
      I decided to do a little zenithal priming on her so I could see the details and see if anything stuck out as 'wrong'.

I also decided that I wanted her to have a little bit of a fin on the end of her tail, so I cut that out of some bonesium I had laying around. I like the asymmetrical, angular look of it.

When I looked at her now, I wanted her to have a few more details, so I added some skulls to the base and gave her a crown. It's super fancy because it's made from toothpicks. lol

I also threw on a coat of black green, because I want her to look more crocodilian than fishy... We'll see how she turns out. 
      I also decided I wanted to add a bunch of foliage and swamp-y stuff, so I used my leftover green stuff to play around. Again, NOT a pro at this. Definitely have a steep learning curve ahead of me!

I made a cute little lizard for her base, just because. I intended to use the snail shells in her crown, but they were just too big. I didn't think starfish and normal 'mermaid' stuff would work in her hair since she's not in the 'sea'. I may do some moss or net-type things eventually. For now, I'm happy with her conversion and hope to move forward with my resin experiments into actually pouring them onto practice bases instead of just into molds. 

Let me know what you think!!! I'd love any C&C since I'm hoping to enter this at Reapercon. Also, if you're a judge, look away!! :D
    • By bluecrowlaura
      Hi there! I've started a diorama project, and I thought it would be good to post my progress here. This is my first diorama attempt- I have just been trying All The Things to see which ones I like best!- and so far, so good, I suppose. I'm one of those folks who learn best by doing, so here goes.

I'll be using Reaper's 03172 Hippocampus and Pegaso's Nymert, along with some Morland Studios Sea Accessories.  I've built the base from scratch using Excalibur casting stone poured into a laser-cut plywood disk, along with lava rock, bark chips, and some hydrostone...so far. I'm going to need to add some Milliput along the edges to finish the angle, and do a bit more work with the Dremel before priming.

I was having a hard time envisoning how the figures would interact, despite sketches, so I decided to go ahead and start attaching the one element I'm certain of: the hippocampus. After cleaning him up a little and using the Dremel to modify his base somewhat, I glued it in. I tried to twist him a little, to give some spiraling motion that would match the nymert, but this is one tough seahorse. I am going to do a little torquing when I pin to the tail, but that's it. The nymert was a little tougher; she'll have to be pinned to a coral tower in the back, so I had to add an extra pin. I did it before cleanup, and I am crossing my fingers that I can get it to look natural in the end.

As I was deciding on the final placement of the nymert figure, I realized that I hadn't thought enough about the most important element of the dio: the story. No matter how I placed her, she looked like she was attacking the hippocampus! Not what I want! So I need to add a third figure, some sort of baddy for the two of them to be fighting. But there's very little room in this design for any additions. Soooo.....

Tentacles. This is a Fimo armature for what I hope will be a few evil-looking tentacles trying to trap the two figures. I sculpted it onto regular armature wire, attached it with CA glue and 2-part epoxy, and carved back into it to whittle it down a bit. I will use green stuff to sculpt the final tentacles, maybe more wire if necessary.

(Also, if you look closely, you can see the hole I drilled into the lava rock 'coral' for the nymert's pin. More of the lava rock drilled out than I wanted- it basically disintegrated- so I'll need something fairly sturdy to fill it when I'm ready for final assembly. Maybe Durham's. Or more 2-part epoxy or JB Weld.)

And that's it! That's how far I've come. Next week I'm going to mount the hippocampus and the nymert, I think, even though painting will get trickier; I can't really finish the tentacles until I do.

Fingers crossed....

• By Glitterwolf
      I have created a little diorama / terrain piece to go with my Lost World Project.

WIP here:
      http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/81223-welcome-to-the-jungle-by-glitterwolf/

I used the base of Kaladrax Bones, now OOP to create some Aztec style ruins.
      The smaller Aztec ruin pieces are from Greenstuffworld.

For the creatures in the murky river I used the Moray Eel of Reaper's  02948: Familiar Pack VII, sculpted a lungfish and some Trilobites myself ( almost invisible in the murky water as they should be.) and I sculpted a second eel.
      And a Bones Centipede 77427: Dungeon Vermin - Centipede .

The Plantlife are the Plant Dragon and the Deathstar Lilies from Bones
      77505: Dragon Plant  and 77504: Death Star Lilies .

The Triceratops cadaver is a plastic Triceratops skeleton which I fleshed out with putty.
      The little feathered raptors are Ral Partha Velocirapors and I used putty to give them feathers.

There is a juvenile Barchiosaurus in the back he's from a Paint and Play set from Wild Republic.
      The Flying Creature is an OOP Metal Terradon from Games Workshop.

The Giant Centipede is from Safari Toob Animals which I repainted.

Thanks to @knarthex for providing me with flock, @strawhat for sending me the Toob Animals from which the Giant Centipede is now used, @TaleSpinner for his advice on sculpting feathers, I'm not superb good at it but I think it worked.
      @SisterMaryNapalm and @malefactus for their ongoing support and tips.

Enjoy:

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/stonehaven-dwarves-vol-2/description

About
       "...Aulë made the dwarves strong to endure. Therefore they are stone-hard, stubborn, fast in friendship and in enmity, and they suffer toil and hunger and hurt of body more hardily than all other speaking peoples; and they live long, far beyond the span of Men, yet not forever."
      -J. R. R. Tolkien
      Dwarves really are the best! While they're often a bit rough around the edges, they have the best accents, are insatiably loot-hungry, and will fight anything that moves—so we are going to make a bunch more of them! 
      We've assembled them into adventuring parties to make it easier for us to pack and ship. You can add an additional adventuring party to your base reward for $22. Additional individual dwarves can be added to your base reward for $5 each. For a slightly larger view of the minis, check them out on our blog. Here are the adventuring parties:
      From Left to Right: Male Dwarven Brawler, Female Dwarven Bard, Male Dwarven Deathknight, Male Dwarven Druid, Female Dwarven Warrior
      The League seeks out the ancient dwarven knowledge hidden deep within the lost caverns. They hope that, in time, civilized dwarves will once again inhabit those hallowed halls. 
      From Left to Right: Male Dwarven Rogue, Female Dwarven Sheildbreaker, Male Dwarven Battlerager, Male Dwarven Mage, Female Dwarven Archer
      Hogg's Tavern is not the sort of place that anyone should visit . . . at least not anyone who values their life or health. Surprisingly, it has regulars. Its patrons are usually adventures past their prime or looking to make a name for themselves. 
      From Left to Right: Female Dwarven Mechanist, Male Dwarven Automaton, Male Dwarven Gunslinger, Female Dwarven Automage, Male Dwarven Investigator
      Not everyone has embraced the "advances" made in the Steam Valley workshops. When the Savages descended on the valley, the Seigebreakers and their constructs helped turn the tide against the invading armies.
      From Left to Right: Female Dwarven Vampire Hunter, Male Dwarven Undead Elite, Male Dwarven Necromancer, Female Dwarven Huntsman, Male Dwarven Warlord
      The lands beyond Raven's Gate are shrouded in perpetual mists and haunted by the undead. Only the very brave or the very foolish venture there. Why not both? 
      From Left to Right: Female Dwarven Barbarian, Female Dwarven Berserker, Female Dwarven Wandsmith, Male Dwarven Fighter, Male Dwarven Barbarian
      The Iron Hills are not an easy country to grow up in. There's bitter cold winters and orcish armies locked in perpetual combat. That's not even mentioning the greatwolves. No one ever mentions the greatwolves.
      Every Stretch Goal we hit will add more dwarves (or dwarf-related miniature items/companions) to the Completionist Set. When we have enough of these for a new adventuring party, a new party will be formed. Here are our stretch goals:
      At $7,500 the Female Dwarven Cleric will be unlocked and added to the Dwarves Vol. 2 Completionist Reward. She will also made available as a $5 add-on.  
      At $10,000 the Male Dwarven Buccaneer will be unlocked and added to the Dwaves Vol. 2 Completionist Reward. He will also be made available as a $5 add-on.
      As we hit these stretch goals, more dwarves will be unleashed!
    • By Glitterwolf
      *** Please read in David Attenborough's voice***

Even the cold North has it brief moment of Spring.
      The Ice will never melt completely, but the small rise in temperature will melt some, giving the scarse plantlife a chance to sprout.
      Of course melting ice will also mean that large chunks will fall and this can surprise even the most experienced Yeti Chieftain as we see here.

Our Yeti Chieftain Gorm was distracted by his thoughts of a certain female of the species, it is Spring after all...when he found himself too close to a ice mountain.
      A sudden crackling sound and a large chunk came down.
      Gorm found himself paralyzed with fear, and this would be his doom.

• Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 194 Guests (See full list)