Loim

Rant on

155 posts in this topic

I got to run a tabletop game today for the first time in many years for some friends. I introduced two new players who had never before played a tabletop rpg to it, and they enjoyed it. I then made the mistake of posting a picture to my Facebook, where I almost immediately got the comment "How Sad." I get to tell a story, and 2-6 other people get to take part in that story, and shape it. How is that not freaking awesome? You'd think after 22 years of the same reaction I'd be used to it. Anyway, I just needed to vent to sympathetic ears.

6 people like this

The reaction of that person is more sad. Commenting on the appropriateness/validity of the hobby and pursuits of another person that harms no one else, is what is sad. Also, RPing is cool and they aren't. Neener neener ha.

8 people like this

It's the internet. Worse, it's Facebook! That's like distilled evil internet!

I thought we were told the information superhighway would usher in a new renaissance of human thought and culture. Instead people are just more ignorant a whole lot more efficiently.

8 people like this

And this is another reason I don't bother with Facebook. All my friends are on it and seem to spend way too much time updating their status.

I just can't bring myself to care when someone has got a soda.

3 people like this

There exists in this world a certain type of person who cannot or will not comprehend the points of view of others unless he happens to share them.

Do not be angered by such a person; pity him instead for he has condemned himself to a life of closed-minded mediocrity.

9 people like this

Don't pay attention to the idiots out there. Its a fun game, and just because they don't enjoy it/understand it/have the slightest clue about it (pick one or more descriptions) does not make it any the less fun for all involved.

Personally facebook for me is primarily for facebook games (sad I know).

2 people like this

I've been playing for 33 years, woman and girl. It's always been looked at more or less askance, but so what? All hobbies look odd from the outside, from football fandom to collecting scented candles.

People can be harsh and judgemental, especially with the relative anonymity of the internet. Best to pay no heed to them.

1 person likes this

Personally, I absolutely love collecting scented candles.

2 people like this

Personally, I absolutely love eating scented candles.

2 people like this

Personally, I absolutely love collecting scented candles

As long as you understand that 'scented' and 'flavoured' are not the same thing. ::P:

D'oh! ninja'd (by several minutes); that's what happens when you forget to hit the submit button. :blush:

Edited by Dan Goodchild
1 person likes this

I got to run a tabletop game today for the first time in many years for some friends. I introduced two new players who had never before played a tabletop rpg to it, and they enjoyed it. I then made the mistake of posting a picture to my Facebook, where I almost immediately got the comment "How Sad." I get to tell a story, and 2-6 other people get to take part in that story, and shape it. How is that not freaking awesome? You'd think after 22 years of the same reaction I'd be used to it. Anyway, I just needed to vent to sympathetic ears.

anyone silly enough to make a remark like that to me on fb would get a bit of a flaming if not getting yelled at in person.

Did you state that it had been the first time you had the chance to run a game in years when you posted the pic? If you did, the comment could have been referring the sad state of being unable to game for so long.

If not, it looks like you've got some non friends on your friends list.

106053slide.jpg

So you got some pruning to do. Facebook is a tool for keeping in contact with friends, not a contest to get the highest number of so called facebook friends.

2 people like this

I like the principle of zen that describes, "if we allow someone/something to make us angry, then we are granting that 'entity' power over us."

3 people like this

Hoping that you did, indeed, say something along the lines of, "First game I've been able to run in awhile..." so that the "how sad" is a temporarily misinterpreted supportive comment.

If not, then I roll my eyes at that person. And, really, what else can you do? If they're the type who finds someone else's hobby - no matter how geeky/nerdy - "sad" then I'm not sure I could be friends with them because I'm sure we wouldn't have much in common. And they certainly are rude.

But, hey, I don't use FB either. I only used it because of reasons related to work and "stayed" because I got addicted to the games. I had to stop using it so I wouldn't spend literally half my waking day playing the games. (Not that I don't sometimes spend literally half my waking day playing other games, but at least I'm not peppering my friends and family with requests for wood and help building an extension or something.)

I like the principle of Facebook that lets you kick @rseholes off your friends list.

3 people like this