Oh wow, those guys are disgusting (in a totally awesome way)! I love the glowy eyes on the first guy. Nice work!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Those are some creepy and amazing Zombies. Nice use of adding the darks first and then the base colours on-top.

• Like 1

Actually, I was all over the place. On the fastest one, I did just the undead skin triad shadow-mid-high and left that. The other two I used that as a base and then put in some purple (dark elf shadow + black iirc), brown (hd ashen brown) and grey (one of the stone greys + walnut) in somewhat thin layers (more wash consistency since this was fast painting!). Then on Frank I hit the top with I think aged bone. I just laid out a bunch of paints I thought might mash together nicely and grabbed a few as I went (which cost me a little time, I had about three times as many bottles out as I actually used).

I had a source pic (from Skyrim) but they look nothing like it. I like them nonetheless! :) The only thing I don't like it the blood on #3, I'll take the time to detail that out a bit when I get to painting the zombie hordes.

Not really feeling strongly about painting anything in particular, so I nabbed Goldar at random from the pile and got him base coated.

Goldar_WIP_1.JPGGoldar_WIP_2.JPG

One cool thing was the axe shaft - my original chestnut was way too high in chroma (I'm learning things!) compared to the really desaturated look of the rest of him. So I tried to add some grey to knock it down, but grey...she's tricksy! Turned green, so I guess there was some lurking blue in the grey. Feeling playful, I put in some linen white (I had meant to grab leather white woops), which lightened it too much but did push it a bit in the right direction...so then I put in a dollop of the ashen brown I based the browns in and voila, very close to the color I had intended to mix! I was kind of amazed and proud of myself, a moment where vision and theory and practice kind of gelled (it's a first).

I know the greys look close now, but hopefully after shading and moving them toward a more finished color they'll separate out enough. But I was a bit concerned about it, so I went back and used brown liner /after/ base coating...a lot more tense then using it before!

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 7

Looks good. Everything you paint is so buttery smooth. Is there any trick to it, beyond just practice?

I like the idea of the desaturated look, and look forward to see how it turns out. I've never seen skin basecoated grey but I have no doubt you can pull it off.

• Like 1

Actually, the basecoating was fighting me a little on this one. Two layers of straight HD paint and it's still pretty streaky (you can see it in the brown skirt thingy). Just go over it until it looks smoothly covered. I figured this will be good enough to support the next couple layers. It was real fiddly with the lining, as I said, and I did clean up a little bit after that. Sweating it because it was hard to get behind the axe shaft and I was running out of the mixed light brown to clean up with!

The skin...yeah I've got a couple weird ideas. Just playing around with it. Following what Azazel (scipio here and at dakka) told me (paraphrasing) 'don't treat Bones like metal, have fun with it.' I originally bought into the Bones KS to practice and skill up...but then I ran through the L2PKs and basically skipped over most of the stuff I wanted to learn on Bones. So I'm just going to mess around with stuff and have fun with it while trying to work myself up for models I'm intimidated by (most of them!).

• Like 2

Your basecoating always looks so beautifully clean and tidy! I take it that you typically line before laying down the basecoat colors?

Huzzah!

• Like 1

Fun with colors! Gray's are tricky. Traditional color-theory-wise ( :wow:), you can get a gray from mixing any 2 pure complementaries and lightening with white to desired shade. So any given gray could have a base of pretty much any given color. Not helpful, is it? :poke:

I like desaturated colors. They seem like a fun way to practice working on contrast with shading rather than color, and a step in the monochrome direction. I'm glad you're having fun!!

• Like 1

Your basecoating always looks so beautifully clean and tidy! I take it that you typically line before laying down the basecoat colors?

Huzzah!

Yep! I can then use the base coat to clean up my sloppy lining.

Corporea, I get the feeling in this adventure I'll be getting more familiar than I may want with secrets Anne has buried in the paints!

• Like 2

Did some layering on the skin, taking a break so I snapped some pics. Still not gelling where I want it, but it's fun just layering. Went a bit gradual for a Bones job, this is base + 4 layers working ghost white slowly into the hd concrete grey. Right now it's mostly trying to smoothly lay on whiter tones, as I've struggled with that every time I've tried.

Goldar_WIP_3.JPGGoldar_WIP_4.JPG

edit: When I say 4 layers, I mean 4 color mixes. It's fairly thin so many passes of the same color on each layer. Not glaze thin, but more or less my usual layering thin.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 10

Too smooth, you almost cannot tell the skin is painted at this point! Lol. Seriously, the skin is very nice. Congrats on the smooth blends.

• Like 3

Probably went too far and need to smooth this back out. Learned a nice lesson on evening out values when glazing to preserve contrast...I went too dark with my shadow glaze and my mid-shadow glaze against the previous highlights took out about 4 layers of blending :|

I continued highlights from the last update, moving through Ghost White into a Ghost/Pure White for the highest high. Then I started putting in some colored glazes to spice it up.

Glazes (I call them that even though I don't glaze over the whole area, maybe 'targeted glazing' is appropriate?) run Nightshade Purple, Imperial Purple and Violet Red. Then a wee bit of one of the highlight Ghost/Pure White mixes glazed to a few spots where the highlights got lost.

Goldar_WIP_5.JPGGoldar_WIP_6.JPG

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 5