Sign in to follow this  
Mutilatedlips

... And Justice Was All He Had To Give

Well since no one else is asking - how the heck did you make that log??! It looks great!

I love the colour scheme you choose for this. The blue and brass really compliment each other.

• Like 1

Excellent work. Nice smooth trim on the clothing and the basing is very nice. The armor really has a very realistic look to it as well. One Question though; did you leave black base unpainted?

• Like 1

I'm a person who loves basing almost as much as painting the miniature, and you nailed this warrior and also the base. Great job! I think what really stands out to me is what a great job you did with the gold metals, a bold choice that you executed really well.

• Like 1

What did you use for the ground/dirt on your base? It seems to have a more varied texture than any of the stuff I have.

Well since no one else is asking - how the heck did you make that log??! It looks great!

I love the colour scheme you choose for this. The blue and brass really compliment each other.

I found a good size stick in the backyard and used a Dremel in the most safe way possible, by holding the stick in my hand while boring a hole through it. I drilled on both sides until they met and then drilled a hole in the top. Then I painted the log with some browns and greens.

Excellent work. Nice smooth trim on the clothing and the basing is very nice. The armor really has a very realistic look to it as well. One Question though; did you leave black base unpainted?

Thank you very much :) Yes, I left the black base unpainted. Do people normally paint them? They were Malifaeux? bases 50mm.

I'm a person who loves basing almost as much as painting the miniature, and you nailed this warrior and also the base. Great job! I think what really stands out to me is what a great job you did with the gold metals, a bold choice that you executed really well.

That is funny, I was telling my friend the other day that I actually like the basing part more than painting. I gotta paint just to get to the fun basing stuff! Thanks for the compliment. Bold is good.

What did you use for the ground/dirt on your base? It seems to have a more varied texture than any of the stuff I have.

Medium gravel I think, it was from Michaels in a little bag. It may have been woodland scenics, but it was very close to the Galeforce 9 medium basing grit I saw in a hobby store.

Thank you everybody. I don't have any friends who do this stuff. It is nice to know I am on the right track and others have fun looking at some of what I have worked hard to make! :)

• Like 1

Great base! The highlights on his tabard are very well done too.
Did you add a wash over the golden armor? It look very realistic.

• Like 1

Looks great, I really dig the black legionnaires. Hope some come out in Bones at some point.

That log on the base is seriously nice, though. Can't wait to see what else you do with bases!

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By EldritchEladrin
      Hello all,

Starting a new WIP for a mini I'm working on for one of the players in my D&D 5e campaign.

One of her characters is a Tiefling Eldritch Knight, so I have selected the glaive-weilding S'Kara to be the starting point for this project...

As you can see, I have just begun. I have primed the mini, and used a pair of pliers to slightly curve her horns, to achieve a more ram-like, less devil-like look.

I'm currently in the process of selecting colours for the cloth portion of her outfit. Any suggestions or ideas? (Fyi, she will have dark brown hair and olive skin).

As always, comments and constructive feedback are always welcome! 

-E.E.
    • By bailey03
      I realized I had yet to post any pictures of my latest project here.  A few months ago I started working on this 54mm scale knight from Romeo Models.  The figure is from the era of the 3rd Crusade, but I decided to paint him up as a generic knight rather than one of the crusading orders (like the Templars).  This gave me a lot more freedom in color choice and for the design work on his clothing/shield.  In my mind, he's an English knight traveling with Richard the Lionheart on crusade.  That steered my color choice a bit, as red and yellow were colors used by the English king.  But I opted to replace the lion with a griffin on this piece (just to do something a little different).

He's come a pretty long way.  I wanted to push for a higher contrast on this piece.  It's similar to how I've done fantasy figures, but I wanted to see how I could make it look on a historical figure (since we naturally expect to see a more realistic overall look).  I made a few very minor changes to the figure.  I shaved down the noseguard a bit so it hid less of his face.  And I inserted two arrow shafts into his shield.  Painting has all be done with acrylics, primarily Reaper though I did use Scale75 for the metallics.  I have a couple small details to do on the knight, along with the chainmail on his legs.  Then all that's left are the base and weathering the figure.  I don't expect a ton of time to paint over the holidays, so hopefully I can finish him up in January.

And here's a look at the base (keeping it pretty simple just to focus on the figure) and a sense of scale for the piece.

• By CaptMini
      I'm a noob (about 5-6 weeks of painting) but am happy with this guy and his rusty armor!
      Would love some C & C from anyone though!

• By Chaoswolf
      Sir Danel (this fellow here:  https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/sir danel/latest/14226 )  got Bones-ified way back in Bones 2. With a couple changes. In metal, he has a lance and sword. In Bones, he was supposed to have a sword and shield. Somewhere along the way, a blunder happened. His Bones version is all goofed up. His left hand, holding the sword, is attached to his right arm, and his left arm just ends in a stump, no hand (there is a shield, though). There has been talk of correcting the mistake so that he can be marketed, but to the best of my knowledge this is still in the works.

I am going to try to show you how easy it is to 'rescue' your copy of Sir Danel (if you backed Bones 2; he's not currently for sale, for obvious reasons), and hopefully convince you to give it a try.

...and I'm already off to a bad start, as I don't have any pictures of the figure before I start making changes to it. I had already started cutting before the thought occurred to me that other folks might find this interesting/useful.

First off, let's cut off his left hand.

Ok, now lets get rid of that sword. (At this point, you need to make a decision: do you want him holding the sword, or the shield? I went with shield. If you choose to have him keep the sword, you'd need to carefully bend the shield away from his arm, and cut through the attaching point. If you're careful, you can save the shield to use on somebody else).

Ok, here we go. Be very, very careful cutting between the crosspiece of the sword hilt and the top of his hand; if you're not, you're going to need to resculpt some fingers.

Now, there is a small attaching nub on the stump of the left arm; slice that off so that you have a flat surface to mate the left hand with. Trim both the left arm and the left hand until you have a good fit, then glue the pieces together.

Now, look for a suitable hand/weapon combo to put on the right arm. Here, I took the hammer/hand from 77089: Halbarand, cleric.

And he's all set to go forth and smite some evil! I have a few more copies of this figure, which I'll be converting, so I'll show you the conversions as I do them.

I hope that this inspires someone to rescue Sir Danel and then paint him up. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

...or, I'll go ahead and show you some of them now, since I goofed up the pictures somehow...

Here, I used the hand and sword from Almaran the gold, 77058.
      You can also see where I wasn't quite careful enough and needed to fill a gap with some green stuff.

I'm not sure who I got the hand and sword from, as I did this one at Reapercon.
      At this point, I figured I didn't want to have a bunch of differently armed clones, so I started doing head swaps, as well. This head is a Games Workshop bit, from their 'Empire' line.

Here is the beginnings of another one; you can see where I'm going to need a little green stuff on his left arm. I've also (carefully) cut off his head and drilled a hole to accommodate the neck of whatever piece I decide to put there. You can also see the beginnings of the right hand/weapon swap. That is a hand from a GW Chaos Warrior.

• By jonaas33
      Greetings!  This post and pics are less about bragging and more about posterity.  I finished this guy up tonight and was pretty happy with how it turned out.  However, it wasn't exactly how it hoped it would look.  This is one of my favorite figs I bought in a long time, and I was stoked to get it started.  So excited that I opted not to scrape away the mold lines and did a super bad job with the spray primer, which left for a lot of flaky areas and bits of plastic sticking out.  So my plan for this fig is that next year, I will buy a new version of Sir Conlan and give him another try with some real prep beforehand.  I'm hoping this will be a sort of measuring tape for how my painting is coming along.  Worst case scenerio:  I'll have an evil twin for this cool looking fig!  Comments, critiques, and advice are always welcome!  Thanks!

• Who's Online   37 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)