Darkstonelich

30 New Bones for KS Bones?

From a customers POV the question is for me if I should ever buy metal? Bones has so many advantages over metal that the only reason I am ever buying a metal mini again is that its at the moment not available in bones. Reaper should transfer all lines into bones over the next years. Bones is future, metal is past. (at least for me)

Regarding the internal Bones list and their overlapping, there is I guess a simple solution for Reaper to choose the right selection for their next KS wave. Just use the power of the internet, put up a poll with all the possible minis of the next wave and let your customers decide which minis of the list they prefer.

I gather that the plastic injection molds for Bones are ridiculously expensive compared to the latex molds for metal figures. Like, tens of thousands of dollars each.

In order for the Bones molds to be economical, Reaper has to be sure each Bones model will sell well.

If all it produced were Bones, Reaper would have to stick with popular sure thing bestsellers (assuming any business can know that beforehand).

Odd little models, eccentricities, obscure figures, and the useful but rare would fall by the wayside.

Not to mention that, good as the Bones are, metal has certain advantages in detail and longevity.

I hope Reaper keeps a mix of metal and Bones figures.

• Like 5

Sales figures aren't a perfect model simply because the change in price can affect the potential market. It's already been said that the Bones high sellers are monsters whereas the metal high sellers are PC types. The really low selling stuff probably won't change (or even get tried), but metal sales aren't going to translate directly to bones sales.

Also, I'd probably put my money on the Bones in terms of longevity compared to metal. While white metal isn't lead soft, it's still more likely to get a flattened face from a drop to the floor than rubbery plastic will.

What I can see in the future are mixed sets of boneite and metal for certain things. For another game I bought a miniature dropship which is made of resin, but with metal fins and landing gear and such. I can see Reaper doing something similar with their plastic injection. For dragons as an example. The main body might be plastic, but the wings and head may be metal.

Also, I'd probably put my money on the Bones in terms of longevity compared to metal. While white metal isn't lead soft, it's still more likely to get a flattened face from a drop to the floor than rubbery plastic will.

This. Bonesium doesn't decompose, doesn't bend or break if dropped, and can be run over with a car, though I can't now find the thread. I'd like to see you do that with metal.

What I can see in the future are mixed sets of boneite and metal for certain things. For another game I bought a miniature dropship which is made of resin, but with metal fins and landing gear and such. I can see Reaper doing something similar with their plastic injection. For dragons as an example. The main body might be plastic, but the wings and head may be metal.

This seems very unlikely to me, at least for the near future. The Bones line, as far as I've heard, is intended to be primarily "ready to play" figures, which doesn't mesh well with the idea of multi-material kits.

From a customers POV the question is for me if I should ever buy metal? Bones has so many advantages over metal that the only reason I am ever buying a metal mini again is that its at the moment not available in bones. Reaper should transfer all lines into bones over the next years. Bones is future, metal is past. (at least for me)

Regarding the internal Bones list and their overlapping, there is I guess a simple solution for Reaper to choose the right selection for their next KS wave. Just use the power of the internet, put up a poll with all the possible minis of the next wave and let your customers decide which minis of the list they prefer.

I gather that the plastic injection molds for Bones are ridiculously expensive compared to the latex molds for metal figures. Like, tens of thousands of dollars each.

In order for the Bones molds to be economical, Reaper has to be sure each Bones model will sell well.

If all it produced were Bones, Reaper would have to stick with popular sure thing bestsellers (assuming any business can know that beforehand).

So the question of bones or metal boils down to cost per mold? I didnt know the price difference is so high. Well, in this case the transformation is surely slowed down alot. OTOH, if one bones sell lets say 50times the amount of a average metal mini, its more expensive mold should not be that big problem. :)

IIR it was 12 Bones sold 8X ~500 Metal. That is 12 Models of Bones sold 8 times what all metal figs sold. Hard to say how that will translate when you have 250 Bones models.

Truth is the more interesting thing will be seeing if the increase in PC suitable sculpts changes te balance to favour them or if it stays with monsters.

Its not a question of will Reaper add more Bones but how fast will they add them and what will they add?

My suspicion is that monsters will continue to be the best sellers in Bones. Reaper sells a lot more of their "hero" types because there are more players than GMs. However, the real value of Bones is the ability to have lots of minis very quickly. For a player, spending five to six bucks on a mini isn't that big a deal. He's probably just getting the one, maybe a couple of others. For the GM, he has to field a lot more figures. Especially monsters. So Bones really shine there.

That said, I think that Reaper made some smart decisions when they loaded up their current roster of Bones. There's a good mix of monsters and heroes. No matter which way the pendulum swings, they're poised to take advantage of it, and then they can focus their attention on expanding the catalog in that direction.

• Like 1

So the question of bones or metal boils down to cost per mold? I didnt know the price difference is so high. Well, in this case the transformation is surely slowed down alot. OTOH, if one bones sell lets say 50times the amount of a average metal mini, its more expensive mold should not be that big problem. :)

No firm numbers have been quoted that I recall, but molds for metal casting cost around $100 to make a mold (made out of silicon rubber, usually). A plastic injection mold (made out of steel) costs around $15,000 (for a cheap one).

-DD

Another way to look at it is this. I agree on the generic monsters, they are fun, and having an entire army of tangerine goblins to swing down from the trees and crawl up from the earth would be epic. My campaigns are usually less heavy on generics, and concentrate more on "memorable" npc characters. So i have a lot of use for "hero" types. Having said that, I still do make use of cannon fodder, just not as much.

I think you have to see how quickly hero types go into the NIC group. I would think that a miniature that stays in the regular catalog for a given length of time (which is determined by its sales numbers) could become a candidate for plastic. The risk of taking a new hero and going straight to plastic is exponentially higher than it would be to cast it in metal.

And bones now has a good range of 'generic' heroes. I'll paint them up for the games I run at cons. I've always just used paper maps and tokens before now, but Bones is a game-changer! Soooo excited!

• Like 2