• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Liverpuncher

Liverpuncher

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

I'm looking for your recommendations on the best product (brand) for sealing miniatures after painting.  Also, are spray applications better than those done by brush?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

#2 KruleBear

KruleBear

Godlike

• Members
  • 1124 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

Depends on what you are doing with them. If they are going to be handled much (I.e. Gaming) I would hit them with a gloss coating which is usually thicker and protects better and then hit with a thinner matte finish to dull it down. If you have a part that you want shiny, use brush on gloss to " shine it up".

I have used different gloss coats with success, but have been using primarily Krylon Crystal Clear spray as it is made to cover art work ( and lasts for ever). And the only answer for the top coat is Testors Dull Cote spray. I have been using it for 30 years.

I have bought some Krylon Matte Finish 10 years ago, but have never used it as, "why mess with the Testors success". Maybe i will try it on some of the bones KS mini's when they come.

Edited by KruleBear, 24 March 2013 - 09:13 AM.

#3 smokingwreckage

smokingwreckage

Gawdlike!!

• Bones Supporter
  • 11435 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

Pretty much exactly what KruleBear said.

It's the perfect time to put on  your yellow boots and go meandering around the woods looking for...well stuff. In my experience looking for stuff is the best way to find it. -Loim

#4 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4412 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Tester Dullcoat.  Hand's down the ONLY thing I've found that I like for everything but Tyranids and other things i don't mind getting shiney.  For those I use a satin polyurithane spray.  So far, so good.

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

Bones II:  #7355

#5 Baugi

Baugi

Godlike

• Members
  • 1485 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

Army Painter brush on matte varnish, for those of us who like to avoid aerosol products and/or don't live in climates conducive to spray.
  • Girot likes this
My miniature painting blog: http://www.pocketsizeheroes.tumblr.com

#6 bloodydrake

bloodydrake

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 882 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

i've been using the 40% off coupons at Micheal's to get testors gloss cote and dullcote for a reasonable price.

I do a glosscote and let it dry for around a day then hit it with a dullcote. I really like that testors doesn't seem to obscure the detail or go cloudy like some others and the double coat seem to be doing a good job protecting my for play Hordes miniatures.

• Girot likes this

#7 Girot

Girot

Drunk Bacon God

• Bones Supporter
  • 4412 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

One thing i noticed about the Dullcoat is that it doesn't screw with the natural effects of the paint.  I can put a gloss on something (like santa dwarf's candy canes) while finishing the model, hit it with DC, and when that dries the candy canes look just like they're supposed to.  good stuff.  I only very recently started using sealant at all for the very reasons Bloodydrake mentions and now I seal everything I paint with at least Dullcoat.

2014 Painted Miniatures/Models: 42

Bones II:  #7355

#8 SamuraiJack

SamuraiJack

Kickstarter Ninja

• Bones Supporter
  • 3506 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:10 PM

How does dullcoat do over GW hardcoat?

Mr. Furious: I don't need a compass to know which way the wind shines.
FB: http://www.facebook.com/jlneedles/
Auctions: http://www.ebay.com/sch/prydain/m.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users