Fulfilling

266 replies to this topic

#181 Talae

Talae

Definitively Indecisive

• Bones Supporter
  • 3658 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:50 PM

We tried to figure it out for an hour and half and just about flipped the table. I will be spending some time looking through online resources and watching gameplay videos before attempting that again. We consoled ourselves with some others games (DC Deck Building Game and Pandemic).

• gmpathfinder and pinkymadigan like this

Talae's WIP Thread of Everything (including My Daughter and her Mad Paint Skills)

Aaaaand Talae ruins the fantasy.

That's his unofficial job around here...  :devil:

#182 hmdrake

hmdrake

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

I'm genuinely baffled. What are people getting snagged on?

#183 pcktlnt

pcktlnt

I'd like to buy a vowel.

• Bones Supporter
  • 2532 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

Anyone else have a camera that can take pics of the minis. I can't find my charger and I snapped like 8 shots, mostly of the metal torchbearer, so there is no indication of the quality of the plastic miniatures. Spring clean up always has me putting away things I need. -_-

Goal of 2014: 44 / 200 (yay more than 20% of the way there!)
Latest show off: 77052: Valkyrie (9/10/14)

Work in progress: 77902: Elquin

#184 Talae

Talae

Definitively Indecisive

• Bones Supporter
  • 3658 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

It would greatly benefit from a quickstart with a simplified setup. The rules are very ambiguous...at least to someone that hasn't read any rules other than the manual it came with and even then not all of it due to being the first time playing.

We are not usually this incompetent and actually play board games regularly. We love Zombicide, Battlestar Galactica, Pandemic, Zpocalypse, Small World, Mice and Mystics and a slew of others. Maybe we were just missing some basic thing that should be obvious.

Talae's WIP Thread of Everything (including My Daughter and her Mad Paint Skills)

#185 hmdrake

hmdrake

Instigator

• Bones Supporter
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

They have a quick setup guide on the website.

#186 Talae

Talae

Definitively Indecisive

• Bones Supporter
  • 3658 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

I have been looking at that now and am planning on researching it a lot before bringing it back to my group. It was not available while at the FLGS today when opening the rest of everything up for the first time and trying to play. The game is really not ready to play out of the box as written due to level of confusion, but I do get a sense that the game will be fun once I understand it better.

• pinkymadigan likes this

#187 Serpine

Serpine

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:34 AM

I'm thinking that Myth needs to be approached with the level of prep that a new RPG requires rather then that of a conventional board game. :)

Guns don't kill people. Meerkats kill people.

#188 The Inner Geek

The Inner Geek

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1379 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:07 AM

Yea, I'm not ready to call it a bust, but it's definitely not going to board game night this week as I'd originally planned. Maybe after I have time to really dig into the rules I'll feel a little more confident in plopping it down in front of players.

• pinkymadigan likes this

If a chicken an a half can lay an egg an a half in a day an a half,
how long will it take a monkey with one wooden leg to kick all the seeds out of a dill pickle?

#189 Talae

Talae

Definitively Indecisive

• Bones Supporter
  • 3658 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

It is definitely more akin to trying to play an RPG than a typical boardgame. I look forward to trying again once I understand better. Those links posted have already helped quite a bit.

#190 Serpine

Serpine

Instigator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:29 PM

So at 500k the Mercs Recon Myth only pledge will get 4 Infected (zombies) of two sculpts each included. Other Recon backers will have to get the Infected as an add-on.  So that brings the Myth only pledge to 6 figures when it reached that point I guess, which is a bit better value.

Guns don't kill people. Meerkats kill people.

#191 ced1106

ced1106

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

Update says in the next wave, they're shipping a FAQ and "Your first game" (?) booklet.

I think the problem is all the jargon / terminology, new concepts to dungeoncrawling, and information that's only on the cards.

#192 pinkymadigan

pinkymadigan

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

There are also several rules that are not expressed at all in the rulebook, so that's a problem. The unofficial FAQ at BGG has them all I think, but things like: clearing a tile (reset AP/darkness/convert treasure to coins), what poison does, what the symbols on the quest cards mean, who can use what items, etc. are just not in the official documentation yet.

That's a problem for me, I expect professionalism from everyone I do business with. It does seem like it will be a great game once all the rules are in place, but I have no desire to learn the game incorrectly multiple times before learning it the way the designers intended, so it'll get shelved until April I think for me. That's okay though, should give me some time to work on painting up the minis.

Check out my band: https://www.facebook.com/Oddjobpolicy

Pre-Bones II minis: 168/249 (excludes sci-fi/steam punk/modern)

% Complete: 67.47%

Current rate: 0.4719 bones per day

Target Rate to complete all pre-Bones II minis by Bones II: 2.0769

Likely # of  unpainted pre-Bones II minis by time Bones II arrives: 63

#193 Chrome

Chrome

The way is forward.

• Members
  • 4219 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:59 AM

I don't want to rehash all of the crap that's going on at BGG, but I really don't have problems with a lot of the things that you listed Pinky.  Converting treasure to coins is in the rulebook, even if its only on the last page.

Poison's effects are listed on The Terror's card. Poison: DoT 1 damage/HC. Now we did have to decide if the poison from the Minions might work differently, but since you can't really do less than 1dmg/turn we decided to use it as listed.

Clearing a tile: we just kept playing as normal. If it took us 2 turns to move from one tile to the next that was almost always enough time to drop Threat back down to 0. Leaving the Darkness where it was just made the game more challenging. I actually like it better that way, rather than having this all-knowing Darkness that gets amnesia as soon as you walk into a new cave. :poke:

The only class requirements for equipping equipment is the Caster Symbol which is explained in the Equipment section. Saying that those rules are missing is just applying outside expectations to Myth's rules and Brian has confirmed as much. Can you equip a weapon that your character may not be able to use well? Yes you can. But that's your choice. It's also why the Trading section is there, so that when you pull something that isn't well suited to your Hero, you can give it to someone else on your team.

so it'll get shelved until April I think for me

Also, it's April now! :poke:

-Chrome

My personal net worth, however, is measured in tens of dozens of dollars. - ReaperBryan

#194 pinkymadigan

pinkymadigan

Enlightened

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:12 AM

I agree, converting treasure is listed (though as you note, AP/threat is not), and poison is on a card that you wouldn't expect it to be on (though it should be in the status table or anywhere else in the rulebook, since you will probably encounter poison prior to looking at that card), but there are serious issues with the hero equipment, even if a few of those rules are explained. The biggest problem is no way to identify which cards use/require/benefit from which weapon/secondary item/secondary item type. But there are also issues that exist in the rules like: can I equip my Soldier with a Bow? How does that work?

I agree though, BGG is a better place to discuss, here's a sample thread, but this issue or similar crops up routinely (daily) there (often buried in other threads):

http://boardgamegeek...er-hero-useable

Edited by pinkymadigan, 02 April 2014 - 11:13 AM.

Check out my band: https://www.facebook.com/Oddjobpolicy

Pre-Bones II minis: 168/249 (excludes sci-fi/steam punk/modern)

% Complete: 67.47%

Current rate: 0.4719 bones per day

Target Rate to complete all pre-Bones II minis by Bones II: 2.0769

Likely # of  unpainted pre-Bones II minis by time Bones II arrives: 63

#195 Chrome

Chrome

The way is forward.

• Members
  • 4219 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 10:31 AM

I got to play this a little bit last night w/some guys from my X-Wing group and they loved it. I gave them a quick overview of the concepts and rules while I set stuff up and let them pick which Hero they wanted to play simply by the looks of the miniature and it's class. Then we picked a 6x6 board, they picked a quest over doing a trap so I grabbed one of the quests that I knew was simple and didn't require extra tiles or anything. They decided to run the Acolyte and Archer and I took the soldier. We used Crawlers and put a hive on the board w/8 spawns and then a hunting pack of 4, plus the quest gave us 3 NPC Soldiers so things were very tight.

Neither of the other two guys had ever played a dungeon crawler before. One of them hasn't played any boardgame more advanced that Monopoly, the other has played boardgames like AGoT and has RPG experience. Like I said, they both loved it. Well at least one did for sure; the other was enjoying himself but had to leave in a rush to go pick up his daughter from a sleepover b/c she wanted to come home. :lol:  Still, we worked together to make good tactics, like I moved and attacked 1 crawler and once it was dead the Acolyte had a clear LOS to the hive so he could hit it w/a spell. They caught on quickly to the card mechanics and the icons, even correcting me one time when I played a card that I shouldn't have, due to my movement.

Once our Acolyte dropped during turn 3, we just finished the game w/the 2 remaining Heroes and everything went smoothly. EXCEPT for the fact that something kept bugging me about it being too easy. Then on my way home I realized that after the first turn, I never advanced the Darkness during the refresh cycle. Doh! I was so busy applying DoT effects that I forgot about it, so the Darkness should have spawned once before we destroyed the lair. Instead we had it dead by the end of turn 3 and hadn't spent hardly any AP due to good buffs from the Acolyte in the first two rounds.

We'll definitely be playing again. My buddy was talking about setting up a scheduled game every other Saturday or something. We'd both love to do it more often, but we've all got family and already play in a weekly X-Wing league that keeps us pretty busy.

• Suden likes this

-Chrome

My personal net worth, however, is measured in tens of dozens of dollars. - ReaperBryan

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fulfilling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users