Hi

I'm looking forward to my KS Bones, they are going to be great for my Pathfinder campaign with my kids.

Reviewing the KS (still amazed as to how many coming), can anyone recommend a decent easy skirmish game I can run for the kids 6&8 using the KS bones, probably focused on Pirates?

Thanks

Edited by Lepordie

You may have to create one yourself. Otherwise I personally would suggest something akin to Hero Quest. You could easily adapt the rules for that game to any miniature and it's simple enough for kids to play and enjoy. Beyond that you could pick up a gridded map from Paizo that takes place on either a ship or in a harbor to use instead of a game board.

Failing all of that? Just give them a handful of d6 and the minis and let them create the game themselves. Kids are wonderful at adhocing games at a moments notice.

• Like 2

Song of Blades and Heroes and their related products are a really good light skirmish miniatures system. The main downside is you'll either be using a very generic set of stats for everything, or building the characters yourself.

Another good pair is the GoalSystem series of games - GoalSystem Delves and SuperSystem (I believe the current is 4e). Again, you'll have to define the models yourself, but you'll be able to use pretty much anything you want with them.

The other option is to take an existing miniatures game (for example, Malifaux), and make heavy use of the Counts As rules, or come up with your own rules for creating new characters for the game (warning - balance will likely not be a thing if you go this route, but it can be a lot of fun).

• Like 1

Mega Bloks (a Lego clone) makes pirate ships that are perfect 28mm scale.

Here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/Mega-Bloks-Pyrates-Captain-Stormstalker/dp/B004SUY9HI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_t_3

Just do check closely because they also make a Playskool-type pull-along musical one for little kids that is, well, Playskool-like, and which shows up when you do a Google search.

If you can find it, Warhammer Historical did Legends of the High seas, based very much on the GW Battle Games in Middle Earth. I suspect that you might have to take some of the more comples bits out, but its pretty easy (roll above shooting skill on d6 to hit, highest roll on d6 wins a fight etc). Hope this helps.

Thanks these are giving me ideas to try.

Song of Blades and Heros has a Pirates mode Flashing Steel which looks good. Legends of high sea seems a bit harder to get following the demise of warhammer historical.

I've seen Freebooters Fate and Cutlass as additional sets but they look heavier/more detailed.

I might try the here's some die6 now what's the rules approach for shear amusement factor. The Lego ship looks fun although I like the look of some of the laser cut models.

I'm going to have fun with the pirate bones.

Thanks for the ideas.

Savage Worlds also has a free skirmish game, but may suffer from complexity.

Another option is to check out RPGKids via DriveThru (it might still be free) its a very simple system designed for use with young kids.

I would go with showdown from Savage Worlds. its not that complicated if you have played it once or twice and its absolutely fantastic. It has deep strategy, supports skirmish in different settings with alot of partcipants and is extremely fast. Best skirmish out there by far IMO.

http://www.peginc.com/pdfstore/savage-worlds-showdown/

Edited by Enpeze
  • Like 1

"Pirates of the Spanish Main RPG" is where I got my introduction to Savage Worlds. It's very miniatures-friendly, and works pretty nicely as a convention pick-up game; probably the most complex parts of the system would be character creation (something I avoid at conventions by providing pre-generated heroes), and character advancement (also a moot point for a convention one-shot), and even then, it's pretty simple compared to a number of other systems I've played in the past.

Also, a second on the Mega Bloks pirate ships. If you can find it, the "Captain Cutlass's Stormstalker" ship (the original) is perfect for gaming, once you pop out that silly "transformation" chamber, and insert some mat board or similar surface to flatten out the interior decks to make it more miniatures-friendly.

2011-11-06-pirates-rpg-deadmentellnotale

Mega Bloks also had a number of "Pirates of the Caribbean" ships, and a nice thing about them was that while of course they had lots of pegs on them for "bloks," there was still a lot of detail put into the hulls and other decorative elements. Just grind off those pegs or cover them up with some scrap craft wood or mat board, and give everything a base coat and some dry-brushing, and you've got a pretty decent platform for pirate-y miniatures combat. A nice touch for conventions is that the masts all plug in and pop out fairly easily -- so you can have the ships all rigged up at the table just for looks (and to attract attention to the table from random passersby in the hopes of filling up the player roster), but then just pop them out once miniatures combat commences, so the sails and rigs aren't blocking line of sight. Some of these ships go new on Ebay for ridiculous prices, but every now and again you'll find one on the cheap (missing the mini-figs, possibly missing a few pieces, etc.).

Another good source I've found for pirate-themed scenery on the cheap would be the old Pressman Games "Weapons & Warriors Pirate Battle" game, which was released under a few different names (Pirate Siege, for one). It has a a couple of small "brig" ships (more like cogs) that can be converted into small boarding craft fairly easily with a bit of Dremel and putty work. The "target cannons" in the game, while a bit overly large for those brigs, are about perfect to use with the Mega Bloks ships. (And the Reaper "Soulcannon," in turn, is perfect to use with the Weapons & Warriors Pirate brigs.) The set also includes a bunch of plastic palm trees, some treasure chests, a defensive tower, and a couple of skiffs that can also be useful in fleshing out a scenario featuring fighting over treasure on a desert island, etc.

I've had a bit of fun converting the "brigs" -- they'd probably work better with 20mm miniatures, but I've still worked them into combat with my Reaper pirates as well.

2011-12-16-weapons-and-warriors-siege-pi

wow. that ships are incredible!

is it that kind of company and ship?

http://www.amazon.de/Mega-Bloks-1067-Carribean-Dutchman/dp/B000M8H9N6/ref=sr_1_7?s=toys&ie=UTF8&qid=1364823936&sr=1-7

If yes, I hope you didnt pay this price. (I guess now its more a collectors price with 1470,- Euro)

Edited by Enpeze

Hi

Nice pictures, I've downloaded the Savage Worlds PDF it looks fun.

The mega blocs look great painted up, previously I'd seen these http://www.laserdreamworks.com/28mm-ships/ they look pretty good just not cheap.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4100/8v3hc0yr/products/33/images/223/DSC00906__22573.1354333830.1280.1280.JPG

The mega bloc one look more fun for kids.

Hi

Nice pictures, I've downloaded the Savage Worlds PDF it looks fun.

The mega blocs look great painted up, previously I'd seen these http://www.laserdreamworks.com/28mm-ships/ they look pretty good just not cheap.

http://cdn1.bigcommerce.com/server4100/8v3hc0yr/products/33/images/223/DSC00906__22573.1354333830.1280.1280.JPG

The mega bloc one look more fun for kids.

I was going to say these guys make nice ships. Toys r us has a bucket of pirates it runs 15 us dollars . not on figure is useful as they are sized whay too big but it comes with 3 nice boats (not ship) and 4 decent canon pieces . It was worth the 15 bucks just for that . i gave the figures to the grand kids . though now that i think about it the bad guys could be painted as giant skeletons