Hi guys. I recently got back into making mini's. My first one is making a Dwarf Fighter for my DnD RP Sessions. The problem I'm having is, I don't know where to start. I have a basic idea on what I want, but I just, can't push forward with it. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I should approach this and where I can start? I'll even take suggestions on what to do. I'm just to frustrated to think. Any help or tips you guys give me is much appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. Here are a couple of photo's of what my mini looks like.

post-5662-0-42169600-1364955300_thumb.jpg

post-5662-0-69629700-1364955315_thumb.jpg

Pics have desk in focus, not mini. Can't really see anything. Perhaps take new ones?

Here's a better picture, if this'll help. Still tryin' to take pics with mini's.

post-5662-0-00870800-1365033458_thumb.jpg

post-5662-0-53901200-1365033469_thumb.jpg

Please understand, I've done only one real conversion (see the March Miniature Challenge thread) and I've never seen the back of this mini.. But I'd start with removing what looks too Sci-Fi. I'd probably cut the areas marked in red, file the area I've marked in orange.

post-8219-0-04316000-1365038762_thumb.jpg

Once I'd removed the parts that looked wrong and filed parts that needed it smooth, I'd break out the green stuff to try to build up any areas that needed it.

Maybe someone more experienced will post? And maybe you can post a pic of the back of the mini?

Good luck!

Please understand, I've done only one real conversion (see the March Miniature Challenge thread) and I've never seen the back of this mini.. But I'd start with removing what looks too Sci-Fi. I'd probably cut the areas marked in red, file the area I've marked in orange.

attachicon.gifconvert.jpg

Once I'd removed the parts that looked wrong and filed parts that needed it smooth, I'd break out the green stuff to try to build up any areas that needed it.

Maybe someone more experienced will post? And maybe you can post a pic of the back of the mini?

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up and info, here's a back side of it for everyone else.

post-5662-0-67364200-1365118600_thumb.jpg

Yeah, the ductwork/tubing really is the worst offender. The part I marked in orange and the similar bits. Without that, what you mostly have is some odd looking armor. The parts that looked awkward from the front and I marked in red look more natural from the back. I'd file off the tubing bits and then stop and look at it again, and see if you can live with it.

The tubing, and the ridged bits on the back above the left heel and just below the collar, in particular. The shoulderpad is very space-marine too, in that it looks too perfect to be fantasy armor... too machined looking, but with the right paint, you might be able to do something about that.

I took your guy's advice and trimmed the arm off completely. Took a dremel to it, now I'm filing down the gun, backside, grenades ant the pouches. Hope to have photo up soon.

Quite frankly you would have been better off just starting with and existing dwarf. Reaper has a lot of dwarves in their line as does GW for that matter. Plus you are starting with a space marine so he's going to be to tall.

Quite frankly you would have been better off just starting with and existing dwarf. Reaper has a lot of dwarves in their line as does GW for that matter. Plus you are starting with a space marine so he's going to be to tall.

Ya know. Your probably right, I just wanted to strip this and turn into something because I didn't find any dwarf with the facial hair that I wanted, and I'm not exactly well experienced with green stuff or milli put to make facial hair on a mini. But I do know that I have the option at my disposal.

Edited by Duke of ABQ

Hair and beards are probably the easiest thing to pull off with green stuff when you are just starting out. Just remember to keep your tools wet or damp so they don't stick to the green stuff.