buglips*the*goblin

(SPLIT) Great Bones painting race of 2013

I couldn't possibly compete in the race, not at my average painting speed.

So I think I will just hunker down with a nice dragon (unless my husband requests something else for his campaign) and have some fun painting it.

Edited by Pingo
  • Like 1

I shall join this race. Granted, I have never painted a mini before (I was suppose to practice painting with the mindflayer I bought and the cheap citadel paints I thrifted). So, the rules so far, one Vampire box and...do they have to be painted well? :)

• Like 1

Yeah, I just dumped another 30 minis on my shelf o' shame .. So I will regretfully have to decline this challenge. Just as well for mine box o' bones will not be arriving to soon, I requested it to all be shipped together. And I added everything but mini cases. I did however Just get three pugs in the mail that the wife wants painted sooner than possible. Hummm... maybe I should just feed them to that dragon right there...............

Well I'm aiming for "tabletop standard" also known as the "3' Rule" for the basic monster models. If the mini looks good at arms length then it's done, this still takes a while for each miniature (but a lot ends up being drying time). I figure a couple of hours for the kobolds, another couple for the zombies and skeletons then 2-3 for the goblins. Rats and swarms will be similar speed painting. But after that I expect to take 1-4 hours per medium model, larges double those time frames.

The thing is I've been painting for a long time so my "speed paint" is pretty sound.

• Like 1

Im not sure how serious anyone is about a race ..i just assumed it was in jest.

However if trying to determine a standard basic I think it should require a minimum of something like this:

1. All should be painted with different colors for all the major parts. ie: flesh is painted different then armor, armor is painted different then straps etc.

2. At least one level of shading darker then the above base painted color on the majority of the figure,be it dip,wash,blended darker paint whatever technique the painter enjoys

3.At least one level of highlight visible on the majority of the figure following the guideline same as above.

I think those 3 make for an easy to follow guideline and shouldn't be too challenging for newer painters as well that are gonna jump into the hobby with the vampire set.

I would of course win this ... if it wasn't for the fact I will not be painting any Chronoscope. I might use them as chewtoys for a dog or two, but not paint em. :) So you guys actually stand a chance! :D!

As to the seriousness of the challenge, I think of it as something akin to Top Gear. Friendly, often ludicrous, and mostly arbitrary.

I still think I'll be done first, but I have no intention of concentrating on my Vampire package to deliver the win. Instead, I'm going to paint everything to the same standard I currently employ and try to get all of it done first.

That's close on 500 minis. That's a ludicrous goal! Can I do it? Am I insane? Does Richard Hammond dye his hair?

The answer is yes.

• Like 5

I don't know about racing but I'll show off as I go. Once they get here I'll burn through them pretty quickley. I don't know what it is but these are just so easy to paint.

Dye his hair, but not whiten his teeth.

I of course am out, I can not in good conscience be the official (self appointed) and totally impartial (yet open to bribery) judge if I where to compete.

• Like 1

It would seem likely the most fair way to "race" would be to somehow document when you start and finish. Then it doesn't matter when the minis arrive, only the time you spent on them. Maybe a shot of all your bones pre-paint with a newspaper or something in the shot to document the date?

• Like 1

I would of course win this ... if it wasn't for the fact I will not be painting any Chronoscope. I might use them as chewtoys for a dog or two, but not paint em. :) So you guys actually stand a chance! :D!

Bad idea, your dog might get a taste for Bones, and not be able to tell the difference between the ones you want and the ones you don't. Then it's not the dogs fault when you come back home one day and Nethyrmaul has had his head gnawed off.

• Like 6