Wren

Bones: Frequently Asked Questions - Unofficial!

67 posts in this topic

I can verify that Liquitex gloss stays tacky, but Liquitex matte does not.

I can verify that Liquitex gloss stays tacky, but Liquitex matte does not.

I have always found Liquitex Gloss Medium a little unacceptably sticky, even on paintings.

Golden has many different gloss mediums, some of which also dry sticky, but I have found Golden's Self-Leveling Clear Gel Medium to dry pretty well on Bones.

2 people like this

Hey all!

I just got DDS2 the other day, and it will be my first experience with bones, so I am a bit nervous... I have been reading all the tips and tricks everyone has posted with great interest and thanks!

Now I use P3 Primer on everything I paint, and as I didn't see it listed, I did my own test.

I sprayed the Bottom of a base to see what, if any results I would get.

Now it seems to me that it dried well, certainly no longer than any other mini I have used it on. It is not tacky at all.

No sign that it ate into the plastic at all, no strange fumes, etc.

I dragged my thumb across the dry base, and after 30 seconds or so, the "Reaper Miniatures" text showed up quite clearly.

The base isn't flexible so I can't comment about durability...

After I start on the terrain parts of the kit, I will post my results in WIP.

George

Edit! (14 August 2015)

The bottom of that base got tacky! :zombie:

I picked up the mini to show my wife, as she was looking at the DDS 2 terrain, and getting an explanation about why the bottom was painted, she said, UM-this is tacky. I checked and she was correct! It has been very humid here lately, but it was in a room that gets some AC, so I would do your own test before using P3 Black Primer!

George

Edited by knarthex
4 people like this

Thought I had a new primer for Bones but alas it failed the test. Adherto by Black Gold (House of Kolor). It's a clear primer made for Lexan R/C bodies. Since the paint for those needs to be flexible to stay on the bodies, thought it'd be perfect!. Alas it fails the stickiness test.

(see below)

EDIT:

Re-checked the mini this afternoon & it doesn't have the stickiness like it did the day I sprayed it. I'll throw a couple coats of paints on it & see later today & report back. Also I sprayed anther Bones mini this morning with Rustoleum Plastic primer white. So far so good. I'll give a report on that one as well.

Ok I've had some time with the minis I primed with Adherto & Rustoleum Plastic Primer white. First off when I primed the Bone with Adherto is was really sticky, even to a point I was taking finger & thumb & was tacky touching the blade of the mini just to see if this stickiness would go away. Well this morning that stickiness had gone totally away!

As far as the Rustoleum goes, there was a little tackiness but nothing I was concerned about. Granted I'm use to primer going on plastic & then almost instantly drying. I paint car models with either Tamiya primers or Dupicolor brand. I still left that one on my table as I primed & basecoated some model parts today. It was outside most of the day.

Paints:

I decided to test paint the mini today. What I used were the following brands with 1 drop of water each.

Reaper Viper Green

Vallejo Model Color Orange

Warpaint Dark Tone (more of a wash then a actual paint)

Now I decided not to use one of my good brushes for this + April 2015 was the last time I put paint on a mini so of course I didn't paint like I was in competition. What I did focus on were areas I knew the primer had hit like the base (it's a brocoli style base). The head area or in this case, the lack of a head area. Blades as those are large area. Also I decided to touch a couple areas that thought might offer some primered details like hands or intricate details.

Rustoleum Plastic Primer (the one on the craft paint bottle)

detail shot

Base Shot

Adherto Clear primer

Base (top) Shot

Anther Base (orange) Shot

Again, not as good as Wren excellent examples but something I wanted to do. Plus it's nice to put a brush with paint on a mini. The minis in question gladly sacrificed their heads for anther project so why they missing those.

After painting, I will say both Adherto & Rustoleum Plastic Primer White make great spray primers for Bones minis!!

4 people like this

Can I ask what sort of time frame you had between spraying and no-longer-sticky?

Can I ask what sort of time frame you had between spraying and no-longer-sticky?

I'd say a day. I was outside yesterday spraying around 930 am as I was killing time till 1030 am. I sprayed the goblin first before diving into putting the model parts on my clip & skewer system I have set up.

Today I primed those parts around a little before 10 am. I primed the other goblin first & then it was around 300 to 340 when I painted the colors on.

Badger Stynylrez also works out of my airbrush. No thinner.