catdancer

Reaper Con...In Las Vegas???

I don't know if this is the correct place for this topic; if not, please excuse me for the wrong placement.........Who decides and how do they decide where Reaper Con is held? Is there any chance of it ever being held or coming to Las Vegas, NV? The city has a lot to offer the convention goers and is by no means a stranger to such conventions/gatherings......The (west coast regional) for IPMS International was held in Las Vegas (1970-77) at the Convention Center (drawing about 3800 to 5200 persons) each year...... Stroke & Dagger magazine held (Vegas Con 88 & 89) at the Sahara Hotel (drawing about 1800 to 2300 persons)......Las Vegas hosted a (Dragon Con in 1992)...I can not remember the sponsor publication for this event.

I would love to hear feedback from all of you out there as to how you would feel about a fantasy convention in Las Vegas.

Since a large part of the attraction of attending ReaperCon is visiting the Reaper facilities and the people who work there, I don't see this happening.

• Like 7

ReaperCon is always held at their facility in Texas. Not always the same facility, as they've moved to new buildings a couple of times, but wherever they are that's where it is.

However, they do also attend other conventions.

• Like 1

I could see more of the con being shifted to a hotel with games, painting, and some retail at a larger hotel with shuttle to the Reaper buildings for tours and boneyard.

I don't see ReaperCon being big enough to move to another city, especially given the costs and effort to prep and shift enough of the retail end. ReaperCon is still a pretty small con.

Ron

• Like 1

ReaperCon is always held at their facility in Texas. Not always the same facility, as they've moved to new buildings a couple of times, but wherever they are that's where it is.

Thanks for the reply (Darsc Zacal & Buglips "the" Goblin)...I did not know about the connection (Reaper Con & facility in Texas)...I can completely understand the conjunction between the two. I would have loved to see/attend a Reaper Con...but since I do not travel anymore at my age...all I can do is just hear & read about it...Thanks for the information!

• Like 1

If you hear of a gaming convention coming to your area, you should post a heads up on the forum here.

Maybe you can't travel to ReaperCon, but you might get a chance to meet some of the Reaper forumites.

• Like 1

I can understand your difficulties. I have a hard time traveling myself, for reasons that I am certain no one really cares about so I won't mention.

• Like 4

Since a large part of the attraction of attending ReaperCon is visiting the Reaper facilities and the people who work there, I don't see this happening.

Yeah, this is exactly part of the deal that makes ReaperCon special. Being inside the factory, distribution and facilities where it all happens is amazing!

I could see more of the con being shifted to a hotel with games, painting, and some retail at a larger hotel with shuttle to the Reaper buildings for tours and boneyard.

I don't see ReaperCon being big enough to move to another city, especially given the costs and effort to prep and shift enough of the retail end. ReaperCon is still a pretty small con.

Ron

What with the new addition to their facilities to help manage the KS facilitation, they'll have plenty of space available in the future by comparison. I mean, just imagine all that new space available for gaming, rather than 18000 backers worth of Bones!?!?!?!!!

I'd personally prefer to see all of the gaming located centrally at the Reaper HQ and not have to rely on the hotels at all.

I would prefer to leave it on site at the Reaper Facilities where it has always been held. The convention has always been there (they have not moved since they started holding the convention). However, logistics may require it to move off site with regular shuttles running to the the facility instead. I would rather not have that happen as it will lose a certain element of "Reaperness" but if it continues to grow they may not have a choice.

As far as I know there are no longer any "traveling" conventions. Origins was the last convention that changed locations every year and they settled that in Columbus about 10 years ago or so.

Edited by Heisler

There are a number that still move around, but I don't think any of them offer much in the way of gaming other than a LARP or two and maybe an open gaming area.

I'm assuming you mean gaming conventions, since the World Science Fiction Convention and World Fantasy Convention still move around as ever.

In this context I would only be speaking about gaming conventions although I did miss Dipcon, the World Diplomacy tournament which is probably due for another US appearance soon.

Thanks for the reply (Darsc Zacal & Buglips "the" Goblin)...I did not know about the connection (Reaper Con & facility in Texas)...I can completely understand the conjunction between the two. I would have loved to see/attend a Reaper Con...but since I do not travel anymore at my age...all I can do is just hear & read about it...Thanks for the information!

Oh my gosh you're still young! Unless there are physical issues that I'm not aware of, you can still travel. I know a lot of people older than you are that travel, and I know of a lot of people that have serious physical handicaps that travel. You might not be able to do quite as much, but you could get there and hang out with everyone and paint and have fun.

You can let the airlines know that you need assistance when you book your flight and they will meet you at the gate, take your baggage, drive you to the next gate, help you board the plane.... it's red carpet service! It's the ONLY way I was able to make it through Heathrow and Dulles!

I bet you could even find someone that has a lay over in Vegas that you could meet and travel with as a back up (and they will get the red carpet service too since they are your travel companion- awesome for the 4 of us travelling together through Heathrow and Dulles- we had our own private customs gates with no lines).

You're only old once you've stopped breathing.

• Like 4