Serpine

Fulfilling
CSM's Tome of Horrors Complete

370 posts in this topic

I actually think this is going to be a pretty big one. Matt is well known, and Tome of Horrors is mega-name-brand. The only downside is that he has three Kickstarters all at one time, which is a lot of work. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be shocked if this one topped a million in sales. Mildly surprised, but not shocked.

My impression is that Tome of Horrors is very well liked, and I think it's a nice idea for a line of minis; they will be producing a bunch of models that are probably not available anywhere else and that people might be interested in. I also think it fits with the old school look that CSM has going with their demons and devils. But, as Shakandara, I really don't think this is going to go that big. I think the demons and devils were of a much broader appeal, and this will definitely be held back a bit by the fact that they haven't yet delivered on their previous KS's. If I may guess (and I could be sooo ridiculously wrong here), I think this is going to land in the $50-$70K ballpark. I should point out though that I don't at all think there is anything "wrong" with it if it doesn't go super-big; I wouldn't consider it a failure if it barely scraped together $12K and funded those initial 17 minis. The only downside I see of this not going big is that $200 pledge level... (see below)

But, then, there is already one where you got half as many for $50, then double that+1 for $100 (very similar to the way you could buy just one of the original stonehaven gnome sets even before stretches were unlocked), then another higher level above that for $200.

I am not seeing this big difference. It's basically identical barring some weird number superstition when you hit that third digit.

You could be right that this is kind of like the Reaper Vampire pledge level; I got in late on the Bones KS when the stuff piled on the Vampire pledge was ridiculous, so at that point it was a non-issue. The problem I see with these pledge levels that are based on stretch goals ("for $100 you get 17 minis, for $200 you get 17 minis and all stretch goals!"), is the risk involved if it doesn't go as big as you had hoped or dreamed. If this KS tapers off after $10K, or after $20K, or even after $30K, then that $200 pledge level is just a really bad deal (well, they could start throwing stuff in to "fix it", but that's just messy), and there's a risk that people will start lowering their pledges (to $100 with some add-ons, which gives you all the same stuff much cheaper). This is what killed Red Box Games second KS that got cancelled, and I think it happened in Torn World too (or didn't it, I could be wrong?).

1 person likes this

I suppose you're right, but there is still a substantial amount of "superstition", as you call it, on dropping two bills on $115 of product and a promise of future unlocks. Sweet spots rarely exceed $150 and this one jumped up to $200! Heck, he won't even let $50 backers pay for the core set as add-ons! You have to be at the $75 level just to pick up one or two odds and ends, and that is just leaving money on the table.

If the normal add-ons are $5 a piece, and you select a free $15 drake, you need 17 minis unlocked to make that level even a break even point for the buyer (unless you really want that t-shirt). There is almost no incentive without 8-10 stretch goals dropping. At this point, the initial pledge spree has ended and now backers are waiting on word of mouth or general discovery to take effect.

Time will tell, but the project has already slowed down after the first day and with the ambitious $200 sweet spot, he opens himself up to a massive backslide at the end of the project if people start dropping pledges to get the most bang for their buck (because if they can pay less for the same amount of stuff, people will), much the way it did in the Torn World project. He lost $1500 by the end as people lowered pledges to get only what was available

1 person likes this

If I back, it'll be at the $50, 8 piece level. Seems to be almost the exact same price per mini as the $100 spot, but... you know, half the price :;):

The $75 level has the benefit of being able to pick and choose from the stretch goals as well (if I'm reading it right). I think that level could be a good spot if a lot of stuff gets unlocked; you get 12 minis and can really pick out the ones you want (or just add a few more for $5 each).

If I back, it'll be at the $50, 8 piece level. Seems to be almost the exact same price per mini as the $100 spot, but... you know, half the price :;):

The $75 level has the benefit of being able to pick and choose from the stretch goals as well (if I'm reading it right). I think that level could be a good spot if a lot of stuff gets unlocked; you get 12 minis and can really pick out the ones you want (or just add a few more for $5 each).

Yeah, that's true. From everything that is shown right now, including stretch goals, the 8 from the $50 level would cover me and I'd still not like everything I picked. At least 2 would be filler :lol:

Yeah, that's true. From everything that is shown right now, including stretch goals, the 8 from the $50 level would cover me and I'd still not like everything I picked. At least 2 would be filler :lol:

Oh. I see. ::): Perhaps double, triple, or quadruple up on the Jaculi then?

1 person likes this

... You villain! I do love that jaculi...

1 person likes this

I have only a few complaints on this one

firstly there is very little room if you want multiples of the same fig.

Also until (or unless depending on how you think this'll go) we start looking at 21 miniatures form stretch goals, then the $200 level makes little sense to me.

Lastly, the Ice Drake is over priced for what is supposed to be a small creature. Although, I suppose it could be used as a large white dragon

That said, I do hope it dose well.

Edited for math.

Edited by ChaoticBlues

I have asked if they have thinked about a lesser level with all the miniatures and stretch goals (without shirt and pdf). I´ll let you know his answer

yea i really wanted to back this cause ive missed alot of KS's like the reaper bones and demons and devils that got alot of stretch goals minis for about 100 or so dollars but having to spend 200 at the moment just doesnt seem like a good deal im hoping it will change

Matt's response to some of the Demons and Devils backers in the latest update is pretty rude and I'm not backing the new KS if that's the best customer service he can come up with

@Beagle: Honestly, that was the reason I dropped support of the demons and devils in the first place. Some... unpleasantness occurred in KS PMs, and I didn't like that. I was hoping he was shaping up since I've seen some critique in the new project's comments and he didn't seem to get off-color about them. If he is still behaving badly, I think I'll just stay away as well.

If you don't mind, would you PM me some of his rude remarks? I'm interested to check them out myself, but it's a backer only update.

Ya, I've decided not to back this KS for various reasons.

Number one being that I don't really think the pricing structure is beneficial enough.

Number two, and the REAL reason I'm not backing this one, is because of the train wreck that KS#1 was and continues to be. I don't believe he has learned from either of the first to KS's, and ya, he is being WAY rude, passive aggressive, and acting very entitled while demanding that his customers don't air their concerns in public.

Just done with this guy and his business.

1 person likes this

Mr Tons - I'm in bed typing away on my iPhone so I'll send you the update tomorrow.

Nightey night my colonial cousins

1 person likes this

The $75 level has the benefit of being able to pick and choose from the stretch goals as well

All tiers $10-$75 can select from stretch goals:

Home page:

"$10 - Any (1) Miniature from the initial funding goal or stretch goals" and repeats that phrasing through $75"

Comments:

"When people pledge at the $10-75 level, they are entitled to select a specific number of miniatures from the initial funding goal (and stretch rewards, as they are achieved.)"

That isn't to say I didn't much prefer Midgard's approach where things were just priced in M (multiples of man sized models) and you just "spent" M on however many of whatever models you wanted... That was very clean and understandable.

Just saw this and OMFGBBQ Sauce! Demodands! Pledged!

Damon.