Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maxstyles

Random Base Question

17 posts in this topic

Okay I admit it, I have played that other miniature game which require square bases, but I have since recovered (and my wallet has thanked me for it). The only problem is that I have developed an allergy to the square bases which causes me to use only round bases. So much so, that I will actually buy those lovely round bases to replace the square ones...

So my question is this -- are the square bases required for Warlord? I have picked up the book but his has not arrived yet although I did get a chance to flip through it at reapercon. It doesn't seem that there are any unit formations that require that base to base contact. I know that round bases will be okay for informal games but would it disqualify me from any official warlord tournaments ?

Long way to go for such a short question but thats how I roll... :)

Jeff

2 people like this

Units don't stay in formations like WH, but there are other rules about base-to-base contact, and LOS, and then there's Trample where you have to cross from one side of the base to the other, so it's important there are 4 sides on the base.

Units don't stay in formations like WH, but there are other rules about base-to-base contact, and LOS, and then there's Trample where you have to cross from one side of the base to the other, so it's important there are 4 sides on the base.

there is a way to make the round bases work to accommodate this:

draw your bases into quarters and simply pick a 'facing' when you orient the mini. Then make sure those marking survive the painting process and you're good to go. Last time i approached the subject of Warlord bases the 25mm minimum size was what seemed to matter most.

If you are playing socially, do whatever, if you want to play in official tournaments then it's squares & rectangles as appropriate.

(I prefer rounds as well but squares it is for my Warlord armies now.)

I wonder about that trample rule. I've never played Warlord, but I've read the rulebook through a couple times. Seems to me that the trample rule as relates to bases is rather arbitrary and silly and seems like it's there to justify having square bases. Your opponent could just see you lining the trample up and turn all his guys at the end of his movement to make sure you don't cross a flat edge.

Makes the whole thing seem artificial. I do play Warmachine/Hordes and this is one area where those games' round bases are a real relief! A little less metagaming can make for a much better experience.

Just food for thought.

Edited by Bruunwald

I'm fine with the square bases but i have a few on 20mm bases. That's my go-to size for familiars. BUT I have several other 'skinny' monsters that looked better on 20mm bases due to size, most of which are the weak cheesy minions of Nefsokar and Necropolis (mummies, zeds, skellies). Simply 'eye-balling' in an extra 2.5mm when they're getting shot at or whatever isn't a big deal.

The round bases will not in any way diminish your enjoyment of the game. We have the official square bases on most models, but so many plastic pre- paints with round bases show up, and they fight just the same as the square based models. Don't let something like this stop you from playing a fantastic rule set.

2 people like this

I know that round bases will be okay for informal games but would it disqualify me from any official warlord tournaments ?

Yes.

~v

I just glue my round bases onto 1" squares of cardboard. It's cheap, satisfies the rules, and easy to remove if I want the figure for something else.

3 people like this

@joshuaslater - that will never happen. I don't even let a rule set stand in the way of a good time.

@inarah - that is a good idea. I may give it a try....

I think I will just get over my aversion to square bases. At least the reaper ones are an inch so there is room for the figure to stand on it.

1 person likes this

@joshuaslater - that will never happen. I don't even let a rule set stand in the way of a good time.

@inarah - that is a good idea. I may give it a try....

I think I will just get over my aversion to square bases. At least the reaper ones are an inch so there is room for the figure to stand on it.

the bases they produce in-house now are awesome. they have that tiny little lip on the edges that makes basing SOOOO much easier for me.

This thread is hilarious in that I was always a round base guy, but found after playing Warlord that many of my models are now going on square bases. As Girot pointed out, I too prefer the "sexy lipped Reaper Warlord base." I invented the phrase, but it's public domain. Try them and see.

1 person likes this

Here's what you do. Mount your guys on rounds and then magnetize the base with a sheet magnet. (Litko sells 25, 40, and 50 mm round magnets for basing if you don't want to cut your own magnets, or you can also buy magnetized bases from GF9.) Then you buy square sheet metal bases from this company to play Warlord. Done. Since you'll need bag of each size, you'll meet his minimum order size.

1 person likes this

If you have magnetized bases, you can use steel cookie sheets or baking pans as an easy way to carry armies around, too. No rubbing of paint on foam and it's easy to get the figures in and out.

Okay I have bought a pack of bases in an attempt fo get over my issue with square bases. I have to admit that I am warming up to the Reaper ones cuz they have that little lip. That lip opens up a lot of possibilities....