jericodarkwynd

Status of next slow boat from china

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my guesswork. It is not to be taken as fact. I am not a Reaper employee, and only know what has been told to us so far. Again, this post is guesswork only.

I wouldn't worry all that much, honestly. Now, this is old information, but it's still valuable. I take from that post that they had 2 boatloads of product that were in the US at the time of its posting, were waiting for the last boat to start coming in from China, and that Bryan said that they had all the Vampires in. The shipment that is currently holding up the rest of the rewards shipping out might be one of those 2 boatloads mentioned in that post, since being in customs is technically being in the US. It may have been held up in customs for almost 4 months at this point. I honestly wouldn't be surprised at that because it isn't unheard of. And the boat that Bryan has recently said is still on its way over from China could very well be that final boat which was mentioned in that post from February, because it says it's the boat with all the optional rewards.

So, 3 boats total. One is already in Reaper's possession and they've shipped everything they can using just the product that was contained on that boat. The second boat is still held up in customs, because customs is slow and stupid. The third boat is currently headed on its way across the Pacific, through the Panama Canal, and into the Gulf of Mexico where it will finally make port, unload its product, and check it all with customs. With any luck, the second boat will be released from customs any day now and the third boat won't be held for 3 months.

Believe they already said the one on the water isn't the last one. But we don't know how many more after that.

Believe they already said the one on the water isn't the last one. But we don't know how many more after that.

In fact, Bryan's post in this very thread on Friday is still talking about future shipments.

• Like 1

I would expect that the next shipment has cleared Customs and is either on their way to them, or has just arrived at their door (how else would they say it was a matter of days before it would arrive?). I would expect, also, that the next boat, worst case, would hold everything left for the backers, and a chunk of the orders for Distribution, with any after that being purely for distribution (otherwise, there's a very good chance of not finishing shipping out until well after the June deadline they mentioned). Of course, this is entirely speculation, and likely has no bearing on the actual truth of the matter. Perhaps the update that Bryan mentioned will have more gooey details in it, but only time will tell.

Well until we see that update things are still looking pretty murky from where I'm sitting, but I'm feeling a LOT better about it then I was before I found out that Reaper didn't have all the minis and weren't shipping. I wasn't complaining before I found that out, BUT I was checking my e-mail obsessively hoping to see that "shipping notice".

From what I can tell we know of 3 shipments from China thus far

1: received

2: in customs

3: on the water

I really don't want to read into what Bryan said wrong, but he seemed to imply with this statement (bolded):

I have the shipping schedule*, as far as when a given container will be loaded on a ship, but only have manifests for them once they are loaded.

In a nutshell, the simple version is that they park an empty container at their factory, and load it as they go. When it is full, they load it on a ship. I know that they know how quickly they can fill a container, so they tell us "shipping on May 13/14" (for example). What they haven't sent us yet is a manifest for future shipments - I know what's on the water, but I get that manifest the day it goes on the water.

*I don't want to say too much, because we're compiling an update, and I hate to contribute to rumors with partial statements.

That there are in fact other shipment(s) coming. So it seems to me we are in for 4 or more (if you want to read into the plural of shipment- which I wouldn't) that's probably not ideal for any of us (Reaper included) but personally I feel better knowing that:

a) I don't need to obsess about when when when when when when when when x100 times a day because I have no idea what is in stock and if there's even a chance of it shipping. Maybe it's a bit of OCD, but I have no problems feeling crazy about when my stuff will ship if I know it's not even a possibility (because certain add-ons aren't even at the facility yet).

b) Reaper is sharing relevent information with us. While some are saying what shipment contains what miniatures is too sensitive, I guess I would disagree. I'm just not sure how that information could be used to the detriment of the company. I can understand not wanting to give specific dates for expected landfall, expected customs, expected arrival at facility, expected ship out dates. But the information of what they will and will not be working with is way less sensitive than that other stuff IMO (admittedly I could be very wrong) and it's way more important to me knowing what will be arriving rather than when specifically.

I also saw one or two people mention that these next shipments might be for distribution only. Now that is just wild speculation based off nothing. There's no way to know that, even if we knew what was on it. At this point I see some retailers saying that the new Bones should be in stock by the end of June. Not sure I believe that is very likely. In another thread (or was it this one?) someone said that it's an estimate of ~2 months for a shipment from China. If that is the case (which I have no idea how to confirm nor deny) than we certainly are looking at later than June.

Personally I am in for Vampire+some vampire extras, plus all the giants, plus Neth, Cthulu, Kala, Deathsleet, Ebonwrath. I expect I will be one of the last wave of shipments (my total box size isn't as big as some I've seen, but the specific models are likely to be among the last received). I am totally okay with that, as long as I know when the models I am getting are actually in facility so I can then spam F5 on my e-mail obsessively :D

Reaper has stated repeatedly that the BONES kickstarter minis will not be shipped to distribution until after all of the Kickstarter pledges have been fulfilled. Please keep in mind though that there was a retailer level in there so there will be some retailers that have the new BONES before it goes through distribution.

• Like 4

Keep in mind that even if Reaper does know what's in a shipment, it isn't necessarily helpful for us to know. For example, the next shipment might have Nethyrmaul, but it may not (and probably isn't) all of the Nethyrmauls needed to fulfill all the KS shipments.

I'm just glad to know that the process is moving along and that Reaper is staying on top of it all. And also that my L2PKs have shipped so I'll have something to practice on while I wait... ::P:

• Like 1

Devil's advocate question:

Are these 'future shipments' for kickstarter fulfillment, or are they to put this stuff in distribution? What about the one on the water?

Remember that they haven't announced in-house production being ramped up and ready to go...so they will be importing non-KS bones until it is. Plus they have to get the molds back [if they can; I don't know if Reaper owns the molds, or if they paid to create them for the factory].

• Like 1

The current shipments are for KS fulfillment. They aren't shipping to distributors until all the KS rewards are shipped.

And Reaper most definitely does own the molds, and will get them shipped back to them as soon as the factory's done with them.

Foxden Racing, on 13 May 2013 - 12:23, said:

Are these 'future shipments' for kickstarter fulfillment, or are they to put this stuff in distribution? What about the one on the water?

I was thinking along similar lines. Even once the KS fulfillments are complete, I imagine Reaper will be getting several more shipments to get the Bones retail distribution rolling. I know they said the KS shipments come first, but knowing how many shiploads are expected might be misleading.

Edited by Magnus Mercury

Given how sensitive Reaper has been about inflaming an already tightly-wound internet population waiting for their bones, I highly doubt Bryan would mention unrelated-to-ks-fulfilment ships in a specific response about ks fulfillment. Saying there are (for example; I am pulling numbers from nowhere) eight ships when there are only four is inviting unnecessary ichor and vitriol.

Reaper will not send bones into distribution until ks orders are filled. The Reaper warehouse is packed to the gills just trying to store ks bones. Therefore, I find it unlikely they will order any bones for distribution prior to the completion of the ks orders.

• Like 4

Remember that they haven't announced in-house production being ramped up and ready to go...so they will be importing non-KS bones until it is. Plus they have to get the molds back [if they can; I don't know if Reaper owns the molds, or if they paid to create them for the factory].

I think the likely answer is that they are for both. Shipment 1 had all (we think) the vampire boxes, both for fulfillment and distribution. Each shipment is likely to have all of whatever items it contains except for something getting split due to space issues. That would be the most efficient shipping method from the factories perspective.

While they won't be sending them out to distribution till after the kickstarter orders have shipped, their order for the Kickstarter Bones included inventory that is for distribution so a further order for figures are probably not necessary for a while anyway.

Edit: I took too long typing and Cmorse scooped me. :)

Edited by Erifnogard

I think the likely answer is that they are for both. Shipment 1 had all (we think) the vampire boxes, both for fulfillment and distribution. Each shipment is likely to have all of whatever items it contains except for something getting split due to space issues. That would be the most efficient shipping method from the factories perspective.

That was my thought as well: Even if they don't send a single bone out until a month after KS fulfillment ends, they still need to have them in stock to ship. From my limited logistics experience, it's less of a headache to order [all numbers pulled from the aether] 20,000 Frost Giants and pick 5,000 out for KS fulfillment than it would be to place two separate orders, especially when there's a several-month lag time between order placed and stock in hand.

We also don't know how much control they have over the Chinese factory. If they place the orders separate, do they produce based on a requested fulfillment date? Do they produce based on minimizing setup/teardown/re-tooling times? [so, if they get 2 separate orders, will they combine them anyway?]

I know from my time at a cabinet factory, they'd group orders by priority [green/red/blue/white, or 'Drop everything, staining screwed up and the order ships today', 'Urgent', 'Expedited', and 'Normal'], and then by species [type of wood] or style as appropriate; before the shaping stations, they'd keep all the Cherry together; and the last thing that happened before leaving for the shaping stations was to be grouped by style; then sent to Options [my department] by species and style where they could, and style where they couldn't. It allowed us to work in bigger batches, running longer times without retooling / pulling different material.

But at this point, we're just speculating, and probably not helping the situation any. I'm sure somebody's going to grab one of these statements, take it the wrong way, and Bryan's going to catch Hades for it. :(

• Like 2

Given how sensitive Reaper has been about inflaming an already tightly-wound internet population waiting for their bones, I highly doubt Bryan would mention unrelated-to-ks-fulfilment ships in a specific response about ks fulfillment. Saying there are (for example; I am pulling numbers from nowhere) eight ships when there are only four is inviting unnecessary ichor and vitriol.

Reaper will not send bones into distribution until ks orders are filled. The Reaper warehouse is packed to the gills just trying to store ks bones. Therefore, I find it unlikely they will order any bones for distribution prior to the completion of the ks orders.

To be fair, Bryan probably hasn't slept since January.

I'm not sure how much we should be reading into the specific phrasing of each of his posts or which of the various shipments he is, no doubt, desperately trying to track applies to what end use. I think it's fair to assume that there are shipments for distribution as well as fulfillment lined up, but I don't think we have enough information to guess which ones are at which stage of the process. (aside from the fact than multiple shipments are still enroute and outside of Reaper's direct control)