Sign in to follow this  
redambrosia

SkaRae Family Minis

I've had Koshrel done for a week now, he made his grand debut at last week's D&D session, and I even posted him on my dA account, but I've been busy, tired, and lazy, so I hadn't gotten around to editing my pictures for these forums. Until tonight. When I have two more family members.

First, our patriarch, Koshrel "Darkflame" SkaRae. He's 03316 Kar'Drakir of the reptus, with wings added. I also gave him Frulla's axe changed up his sword a bit. There's stuff I'm not entirely happy with, but he looks good on the table, and my husband thinks he's awesome, so it'll do  :rolleyes:

Hope you like him.

koshrelfinal2.jpg

koshrelfinal1.jpg

koshrelfinal5.jpg

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 8

And here's his wife, Shae'Narai SkaRae. She's been a challenge. I converted 03534 Sirithis, the succubus to be a draconian female. The head I got from 03022 Half Bronze Dragon, green stuffed a snout onto, not very well I'm afraid, and added a fin. I also used green stuff to fill in her armour, since the "armour" on the succubus was just a bunch of leather straps.

The huge thing on her left arm is a stone gauntlet and it's supposed to look too big, I'm pretty pleased with that.

Not as pleased with her great club. I'm going to have to practice much more green stuff, I really don't know how the sculptors make such neat weapons, I just couldn't get the stuff to cooperate with me :angry:

Anyway, here she is:

shaefinal1.jpg

shaefinal3.jpg
shaefinal2.jpg

shaefinal9.jpg
shaefinal5.jpg

• Like 4

And here's the last one for now. No, she's not a draconian, she's adopted.

Betsy Booms-A-Lot! The living doll! Yes, she's alive, she's fully sentient, and she's remarkably cute :wub:

Mini is from 14087 Familiars II(5) by Werner Klocke. I added a second eye though, because after she adopted us we repaired her. My husband had the idea of adding a hair bow, which would have increased her "awww" factor by +5, but she was nearly done by then.

Also, I used the carnival red colour which came in the swag bag this year for the top coat on her hair, really makes it pretty!

betsy1y.jpg
  • Like 5

love the axe colors. Nicely done!!

• Like 1

Not as pleased with her great club. I'm going to have to practice much more green stuff, I really don't know how the sculptors make such neat weapons, I just couldn't get the stuff to cooperate with me :angry:

In a lot of cases you build the base form from something else, usually plastic like Plastruct or Evergreen and then sculpt details onto that. It's difficult to build a large Greenstuff shape without a frame under it and greenstuff doesn't hold hard edges that well since it has a bit of flex. Also, it's much easier to carve a blade out of rigid plastic. So for a sword or flanged mace you would build the weapon surfaces from plastic and then add detail with greenstuff. Sorry I don't have pictures, I'm really bad about not documenting processes while I model.

If you are going the fully sculpt everything route rather than build the base shape from plastic, this thread will be useful to you: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/45797-weapon-sculpting-redux/

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 1

The first of the twins, Shenrick SkaRae! Pretty happy with this one, he was much easier than Koshrel, since I added the wings later on. Learned my lesson there!

Rawr!

pw78.jpg
To try get an etched effect on the armour, I painted little swirls and whatnot, then covered it with thinned gold metallic paint, 2 layers, IIRC.
z3yh.jpg
The Star of Bahamut shield! It's pretty ::):
wiz0.jpg
Hope you like him! Suggestions, comments, and critique welcome, though I'm not likely to apply any of it to these minis, lol. They are DONE! ::P:
  • Like 4

And here is Vorelor. Took a few days to fix her cause I had to wait for the green stuff to dry and so forth.

n9gl.jpg
6wtt.jpg
I put a pattern on this panel using shiney white paint. It's really hard to photograph, this is the best picture I got of it. It's a floral pattern, like brocade.
0qxq.jpg
  • Like 4

Ok after looking over these minis my advice is "more contrast", at least darken the shadows more (the highlights seem bright enough).

The painting competition has an Open category where any Reaper mini goes (which includes a "door prize" for entrants).

• Like 2

And here's Sularia SkaRae, Shenrick's wife. I learned a bunch of new stuff for this mini; kinda wish I knew the techniques for the other minis. But right now I don't really want to redo them right now. Too much work :upside:

bc57.jpg
2ylh.jpg

• Like 4

We all grow as painters, and the old ones will remind you what you used to do. I have a handful of my earliest painted figures, and they were a lot of fun but I paint much better now (and I'm faster!).

I'm certain you're seeing similar things, and this is a fun thread to watch.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Guildenstern
      Trying to finish this guy up for Dakkadakka monthly - and cuz I'm leaving soon. So easily distracted.. I'm bouncing from my Gorkanaut to this guy to the Kraken diorama display I'm trying to do.

Anyway this is a resin model Kromlech puts out. I'm fairly happy with how his face has come out, except the eye. I wish I could do eyes better.

So all of my highlights have really blended in, and I'm doing some pinwashing and edgehiglighting atm, to try to bring the contrasting elements up a bit more. Hopefully I'll have time to do his rust/weathering effects before I leave on Thursday.
    • By redambrosia
      I've got three player characters and a random demon.

The first is a kobold mage, from 03024 Kobold Leader and Sorcerer. I filled out his robes and cloak so he wouldn't be raggedy. The character is a terramancer, so I should have replaced the fire with earthy stuff, but I wasn't feeling that creative.

Next is the half-leprechaun, for our irish-heritage player  He's made from 50307, Mr. Grimm and a now faceless bones guy. I just cut off that guy's face and attached it to Mr. Grimm, who had his face ground down. I also filled in the robotic arm and ground off the back pack connector. Turning the hand into a humanoid hand didn't work too well, so don't look at that.

The last player character is a new version of my doll mage, Eloria, made from 03648, Hyrekia. I liked her better than my previous.

And last is 77258 Blood Demon. Just a random bones mini I finished.

I hope you enjoy!
    • By redambrosia
      ... and they all fall down. Where they blind-folded or something?!

Druid! This is actually the first mini I ever bought, well over ten years ago. At the time I couldn't imagine painting her (those tiny eyes!) and figured she'd just be metal coloured. Obviously, things have changed. I decided that I wanted her to be a more colourful druid, because nature is colourful, so why are druids always in boring green and brown? And then her bird ended up being a parrot.

This is the mini for my Hubby's dragonborn paladin, Sharoc-Pel. Hubby wanted him fairly simple and non-fancy, so I stuck with steel coloured armour for him.

This is Rokori, my Little People Beauty Pageant entry. She's a guard for the King of the dwarves, which is what the symbol on her shield is meant to be. When I entered her in the pageant she actually wasn't done, but I didn't notice until too late that her belt buckle was unfinished. So this is the finished version, with the shield on her belt buckle too.

And last is the polar bear. It was painted up as familiar for a snow elf character. She has a name, but durned if I remember it Went with warm whites for this polar bear and put some snow effect on her paws, between her claws. She has yet to bloody anything.

Hope you enjoyed them and my silly joke
    • By redambrosia
      My first item is a mini my brother in law sent me, presumably to paint for him (he included no notes or instructions). It didn't come in a package and it had no markings, so I have no idea who made it. I actually struggled with it for a while, because there's a lot going on, but eventually realized that after I got the basic colours on it I could just splotch some red in there and hit it with a brown wash and it would look good and dirty. As though it had been through a battle... duurrrrr! So it's basic tabletop quality. And since he didn't pay with chocolate, which is the agreed upon price for my services, that's what he gets!

ETA: Thanks to Wyvernfire I know that the body pile is from the Gamers: Hands of Fate KS and it's official name is the Mound of Dead Bards. Apparently someone didn't like their singing...

Next I have my half-orc priestess conversion of the bones version of Seelah, Iconic Paladin. I cut the shield off her back, the helmet out of her arm, the scabbard from the inside of her cloak, and gave her a club. Then I tried to use some Golden brand goop to smooth out the cloak, but it didn't work very well and left a weird texture that I couldn't get rid of. Oh, and I replaced the helmet with a box of chocolates for RP reasons

Anyway, I eventually just got sick of trying to make her look better and decided that sub-tabletop quality would suffice. I kind of wanted to set the cloak on fire But I love the little box of chocolates (it is Whitman's chocolates!)

Speaking of conversions, here's my bionoid gal, the changed form of #143 (Spelljammer character). Underneath all the green and brown stuff is Marie, the chronoscope robot. In hindsight it probably would have been easier to get one of their sculpting dollies and make her using that.... but I didn't know they had those when I started

And yes, she's very shiny, but I want her that way. Her exoskeleton is supposed to look like a beetle shell, so I figured it would be shiny. It just looks awful in pictures.

Finally, here are my other two firewalls. I decided I would do a little OSL effect with them, unlike the first two.

Anyway, enjoy! Comments and suggestions welcome
    • By redambrosia
      When I decided to enter the Painting Excuses contest I thought about painting Kyrie as Little Red Riding Hood (Pingo made mention of it when she came out and the idea has been rattling in my head ever since). But as I prep-ed her, it occurred to me that it would take very little to turn her into a barbarian version of Princess Mononoke. I mean, wolf cape!

So I filled out her skirt with green stuff and covered the wolf face with a round blob to make the mask. I ended up wishing I had had made the mask bigger though.

I used the rosy skin triad on her, blackened brown, shield brown, ginger cookie... and some tan on her armour bits. I know I started with ginger cookie for the cloak, and ended with white, but I don't remember the in-between colour (painting journal, what's that? )

And as usual, my camera washed out the work I did on the white. Honest to Sophie, there's actual shading and whatnot on that fur cloak

• Who's Online   16 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)