Sign in to follow this  
Dai-Mongar

Psi Judge Anderson - Mongoose Publishing

Painted this lady up in just one night, pretty happy with the outcome. I'm particularly pleased with being able to pull off a decent-looking blonde for once.

post-3125-0-88295000-1368577123_thumb.jpg

Have to say that the body suit didn't work as well as I would have liked, but I'm calling her done.

• Like 8

Stay tuned! I have more to go from the Kickstarter. With my rulebook (finally) arriving by the end of the month (hopefully) I thought I should get cracking on them so I can get some games going.

Really nice models to paint, some nice little details and a lot of character, but not bogged down in fiddly bits. Pretty easy to paint quickly.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Pingo
      https://locusmag.com/2018/05/gardner-dozois-1947-2018/

Gardner Dozois, science fiction legend, has died unexpectedly at the age of 70.

His last review column was posted yesterday:
      https://locusmag.com/2018/05/gardner-dozois-reviews-short-fiction-10/

The Hugo and Nebula Award-winning author collaborated with George Alec Effinger, George R. R. Martin, Daniel Abraham, and Michael Swanwick, among others. He was editor of "Asimov's Science Fiction" for twenty years and had compiled and edited the Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies since they were created in 1984.

He was one of PingosHusband's teachers, which makes this personal.
    • By Pingo
      These are from the old Grenadier set #1502 Robo Hunters from the Future Warriors range, sculpted by Mark Copplestone, a vision of the future from the 1980s.

I wanted to paint up some PoC figures. The Grace Jones lookalike was an obvious choice, as was the glowering dude in dreadlocks. The teenager fits too. There's also a guy with some ludicrous hair but I didn't paint him this time.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

• By Pingo
      This is Patrick Keith's 50246: Marie, She-Bot, famous from the old Fritz Lang movie "Metropolis," and two other robots Johnny Lauck sold adjacent to his sci fi Salvage Crew.

I painted them up in less than an hour. WIP thread here.

• By SGHawkins09
      This was my second entry for the Painter's category at ReaperCon 2017. He is Tarko from Scale 75's Fallen Frontiers line. He was a challenge for me as I have not painted many sci fi minis and I was testing the Scale 75 Fantasy and Games paints on him. I knew I wanted to do a red/orange/yellow armor accented with blue and it ended up pretty close to what I had imagined. He ended up not being the entry that was judged but he was mainly a "lets try this idea out" mini so I know there are some areas that need work.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• By Ironhammer
      Right, so I finally decided to do a WiP on this guy, mainly in the hopes to get some good feedback on the painting process.  This will be one of my Reapercon (in the Open category, being as it is a scratchbuild). 

First off, some older pics going back a few months, showing where I started from.  I started by sculpting a few faces and picked one that I thought would do the job.  Then I built a basic armature, established a pose and then began fleshing it out.

I'm afraid I didn't get any more WiP shots of the sculpting after this, so on to the finished figure (pre painting that is).

Here is the final figure prior to painting, complete with scenic base.

And because I really would like to show off all the work that went into it, here are a lot of detail shots of the various elements.  The discarded helmet was a little bit of a trick, as I wanted it to actually be hollow.  I dealt with it by sculpting the basic shape on the end of another tool, then carefully pulling it off and carving out the face plate and widening the rest of the interior.  The backpack and pistol frame were stacked sheet styrene, with added details in greenstuff and wire.  The base was just a couple of cutup corks with greenstuff textured over it.

Next up is painting.  Digging around online for inspiration I came across this image, which is supposedly of a 1950s era US Navy pressure suit.  I liked the olive drab and beige combination (though I may skip the white helmet), and decided I would go with something similar, but with warmer colors. 

The palette I wound up choosing for the basic flight suit is below.  For some reason the special edition colors have become some of my favorites.  Carnival Purple was a special edition paint for Reapercon '13 (I think), and has become one of my go to colors for shadowing, while Pumpkin Orange has become another one of my mainstays. 

Here is the figure after the first round of painting.  I went in with the intention of giving the suit a much ruddier look that was the case in the prototype (hence the Pumpkin Orange), but tn the end the orange really dominated the palette (which doesn't really bother me, so long as the end result looks good), The figure was primarily bascoated with black primer, while the head was done in white.  I don't recall exactly how much time it took me to get from there to what you see below, but I think it was close to two hours or so.

Whatcha' think so far?  I've always been better with a hobby knife than a paint brush, and this year I'm really anxious to up my game a bit.  Any and all input is welcome!

• Who's Online   30 Members, 1 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)