• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Slashhamster

Slashhamster

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:01 PM

Here's my last 2 Bones models until the Kickstarter package arrives.  Not my best work I don't think, but overall I'm still happy with them.

77026 - Young Dragon

youngdragon1.jpg

youngdragon3.jpg

youngdragon4.jpg

youngdragon5.jpg

This guy gave me a lot of trouble with shading/highlighting.  I don't think I have a handle on red yet.  I learned a few things, which is good, since this guy was mainly meant as a practice run before the large dragons in the Kickstarter.  I'm happy with the overall color scheme, but my red shading is going to need some work.  It looks a little better in person than it does here, as I ended up with too much glare from my light.

His base is supposed to have a cooled molten lava rock look.

• buglips*the*goblin, Citrine, Metalchaos and 11 others like this

My painted Reaper figures can be found in the Inspiration Gallery.

#2 Slashhamster

Slashhamster

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 275 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:02 PM

77025 - Giant Spider

spider1.jpg

spider3.jpg

Wow, look at that mold line on the second leg!  ik_evil.gif

I pretty much directly copied the Legendary Encounters color scheme for this guy, since I really liked it.  Very simple to paint as well.  This probably took no more than 10-15 minutes tops (not counting drying time).

• buglips*the*goblin, Citrine, Patrik Strom and 11 others like this

#3 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12212 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

They look pretty good to me, especially Flit - the great fiddly timeburgler. 

Powered by Frapp Fuel

#4 Nameless

Nameless

Godlike

• Members
  • 1109 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

problem with shading red? have you considered/tried adding purple to red for shading?

red can be  tricky indeed, with both shading and highlighting - it's so easy to make your red orange or pink with stronger highlights :)

banner_reaper.jpg

My minis -  Nameless Painter Blog / Chest of Colors gallery

------------------------------------------

Available for commissions

#5 Jasung

Jasung

Mostly Harmless

• Bones Supporter
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:15 AM

Man, when I get around to actually start painting up some miniatures again (with my extremely limited experience) I hope I can at least get halfway as good as you.  They're pretty boss, Slashmaster.  I've been told that I have problems with seeing red so I may be missing things that others might be able to spot, but that dragon looks great to me.  Good job!

Edited by Jasung, 21 May 2013 - 02:20 AM.

Play well; make peace; don't be rude; never fight.  Cheers and good luck!

#6 Loim

Loim

Sir Stupidly Special

• Bones Supporter
  • 2931 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:24 AM

Very nice. I really like the spider. Red is one of those colors, like black, that really gives me fits. 

En Taro Tassadar, Executor. - Artanis

In the house of upside down

Cellar's top floor, attic's ground

Laughing cries, and smiles frown

Found is lost, and lost is found

SHAZAM! 

#7 Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Carnacki the Ghost Finder

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 725 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:41 AM

I like both of these very much!  Great color contrasts and choices.  I know what you mean about mold lines that only appear after you've finished painting.  I wonder if it would help if the plastic was gray instead of white. 

A painted mini is better than an unpainted mini.

#8 Inarah

Inarah

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 4313 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:44 AM

Couple of nice solid paint jobs there. :)
~It's not broken.... it's a conversion. ~

"I got my brother and his six year old hooked last week. They were soon back at the friendly local for more. Starts with a cute lil unicorn, next thing you're onto griffins and purple worms." ~ Carnacki the Ghost Finder

#9 youwashock

youwashock

Godlike

• Members
  • 1297 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

These both came out good.  The dragon, especially.  A good, strong red, and the highlights on the wing membranes make the figure for me.

#10 Kangaroorex

Kangaroorex

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:44 PM

And a very nice job on the base. I hope my copy of this dragon comes out that well

#11 KruleBear

KruleBear

Godlike

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:25 PM

problem with shading red? have you considered/tried adding purple to red for shading?
red can be  tricky indeed, with both shading and highlighting - it's so easy to make your red orange or pink with stronger highlights :)

What was recommended to me was to shade the darkest recesses of red with it's complementary green...a glaze of green in the recesses really makes a difference.

And I really like the spider.

#12 Slendertroll

Slendertroll

Eternal Scout

• Bones Supporter
  • 2891 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

What was recommended to me was to shade the darkest recesses of red with it's complementary green...a glaze of green in the recesses really makes a difference.

I would worry that that would turn it a little... Christmas-y. Perhaps a cold purple instead?

Posted Image
Slendertroll is Virgil Ironshaper, blacksmith and devotee of Kaveh, in...
Boldly Into Darkness Go: Down the Murder Hole

Grinnell College '16

#13 KruleBear

KruleBear

Godlike

• Members
  • 1028 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

I would worry that that would turn it a little... Christmas-y. Perhaps a cold purple instead?

Actually, not so much. It has to be very dilute glazes a you do not want it to look " green". This link shows my first attempt at this in the folds of the skeletons cloak. http://www.coolminiornot.com/313174

#14 Slashhamster

Slashhamster

Enlightened

• Bones Supporter
  • 275 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

Thanks all!  I know I'm probably my own harshest critic.

Part of the problem is my lighting setup isn't as good as it should be, and there's some glare washing out the shading that is there.

The body/wings were basecoated in a mix of HD Brilliant Red and HD Rusty Red. 

For the body, I made a wash out of Crimson Red with I believe a touch of purple in it.   I probably should have darkened the wash further or just basecoated in a darker purple/red, and then drybrushed up through the brilliant/rusty red combination on the scales.  The highlighting on the body got cut short as it was quickly going a direction I didn't like.  I read somewhere to try adding a light flesh tone to a base coat color for highlighting red, but that still mostly left me with a pink that I wasn't happy with.

For the wings, I used the same shading, but took it much darker.  The highlight gave me issues though.  Someone described the problem I had well in another thread by describing it as if the highlight is floating on top of the base coat, rather than blended into the base coat.

I've heard before that green is a great choice for shading red; I really need to try that sometime.  Thanks for the tip.

• KruleBear likes this

#15 Thes Hunter

Thes Hunter

Associate Bachelor Master, Esquire™

• Bones Supporter
  • 2493 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

Some very nice solid jobs here. Love it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 77026, 77025, Dragon, Spider, Bones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users