Slashhamster

Bones - Young Dragon & Giant Spider

15 posts in this topic

Here's my last 2 Bones models until the Kickstarter package arrives. Not my best work I don't think, but overall I'm still happy with them.

77026 - Young Dragon

post-9097-0-72387500-1369111917_thumb.jpg

post-9097-0-67147400-1369111918_thumb.jpg

post-9097-0-32812900-1369111919_thumb.jpg

post-9097-0-35685900-1369111920_thumb.jpg

This guy gave me a lot of trouble with shading/highlighting. I don't think I have a handle on red yet. I learned a few things, which is good, since this guy was mainly meant as a practice run before the large dragons in the Kickstarter. I'm happy with the overall color scheme, but my red shading is going to need some work. It looks a little better in person than it does here, as I ended up with too much glare from my light.

His base is supposed to have a cooled molten lava rock look.

14 people like this

77025 - Giant Spider

post-9097-0-90923300-1369112519_thumb.jpg

post-9097-0-44962900-1369112520_thumb.jpg

Wow, look at that mold line on the second leg! ik_evil.gif

I pretty much directly copied the Legendary Encounters color scheme for this guy, since I really liked it. Very simple to paint as well. This probably took no more than 10-15 minutes tops (not counting drying time).

15 people like this

They look pretty good to me, especially Flit - the great fiddly timeburgler.

problem with shading red? have you considered/tried adding purple to red for shading?

red can be tricky indeed, with both shading and highlighting - it's so easy to make your red orange or pink with stronger highlights :)

Man, when I get around to actually start painting up some miniatures again (with my extremely limited experience) I hope I can at least get halfway as good as you. They're pretty boss, Slashmaster. I've been told that I have problems with seeing red so I may be missing things that others might be able to spot, but that dragon looks great to me. Good job!

Edited by Jasung

Very nice. I really like the spider. Red is one of those colors, like black, that really gives me fits.

I like both of these very much! Great color contrasts and choices. I know what you mean about mold lines that only appear after you've finished painting. I wonder if it would help if the plastic was gray instead of white.

Couple of nice solid paint jobs there. :)

These both came out good. The dragon, especially. A good, strong red, and the highlights on the wing membranes make the figure for me.

And a very nice job on the base. I hope my copy of this dragon comes out that well

problem with shading red? have you considered/tried adding purple to red for shading?

red can be tricky indeed, with both shading and highlighting - it's so easy to make your red orange or pink with stronger highlights :)

What was recommended to me was to shade the darkest recesses of red with it's complementary green...a glaze of green in the recesses really makes a difference.

And I really like the spider.

What was recommended to me was to shade the darkest recesses of red with it's complementary green...a glaze of green in the recesses really makes a difference.

I would worry that that would turn it a little... Christmas-y. Perhaps a cold purple instead?

I would worry that that would turn it a little... Christmas-y. Perhaps a cold purple instead?

Actually, not so much. It has to be very dilute glazes a you do not want it to look " green". This link shows my first attempt at this in the folds of the skeletons cloak. http://www.coolminiornot.com/313174

Thanks all! I know I'm probably my own harshest critic.

Part of the problem is my lighting setup isn't as good as it should be, and there's some glare washing out the shading that is there.

The body/wings were basecoated in a mix of HD Brilliant Red and HD Rusty Red.

For the body, I made a wash out of Crimson Red with I believe a touch of purple in it. I probably should have darkened the wash further or just basecoated in a darker purple/red, and then drybrushed up through the brilliant/rusty red combination on the scales. The highlighting on the body got cut short as it was quickly going a direction I didn't like. I read somewhere to try adding a light flesh tone to a base coat color for highlighting red, but that still mostly left me with a pink that I wasn't happy with.

For the wings, I used the same shading, but took it much darker. The highlight gave me issues though. Someone described the problem I had well in another thread by describing it as if the highlight is floating on top of the base coat, rather than blended into the base coat.

I've heard before that green is a great choice for shading red; I really need to try that sometime. Thanks for the tip.

1 person likes this

Some very nice solid jobs here. Love it!