Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
This was my second entry for the Painter's category at ReaperCon 2017. He is Tarko from Scale 75's Fallen Frontiers line. He was a challenge for me as I have not painted many sci fi minis and I was testing the Scale 75 Fantasy and Games paints on him. I knew I wanted to do a red/orange/yellow armor accented with blue and it ended up pretty close to what I had imagined. He ended up not being the entry that was judged but he was mainly a "lets try this idea out" mini so I know there are some areas that need work.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Right, so I finally decided to do a WiP on this guy, mainly in the hopes to get some good feedback on the painting process. This will be one of my Reapercon (in the Open category, being as it is a scratchbuild).
First off, some older pics going back a few months, showing where I started from. I started by sculpting a few faces and picked one that I thought would do the job. Then I built a basic armature, established a pose and then began fleshing it out.
I'm afraid I didn't get any more WiP shots of the sculpting after this, so on to the finished figure (pre painting that is).
Here is the final figure prior to painting, complete with scenic base.
And because I really would like to show off all the work that went into it, here are a lot of detail shots of the various elements. The discarded helmet was a little bit of a trick, as I wanted it to actually be hollow. I dealt with it by sculpting the basic shape on the end of another tool, then carefully pulling it off and carving out the face plate and widening the rest of the interior. The backpack and pistol frame were stacked sheet styrene, with added details in greenstuff and wire. The base was just a couple of cutup corks with greenstuff textured over it.
Next up is painting. Digging around online for inspiration I came across this image, which is supposedly of a 1950s era US Navy pressure suit. I liked the olive drab and beige combination (though I may skip the white helmet), and decided I would go with something similar, but with warmer colors.
The palette I wound up choosing for the basic flight suit is below. For some reason the special edition colors have become some of my favorites. Carnival Purple was a special edition paint for Reapercon '13 (I think), and has become one of my go to colors for shadowing, while Pumpkin Orange has become another one of my mainstays.
Here is the figure after the first round of painting. I went in with the intention of giving the suit a much ruddier look that was the case in the prototype (hence the Pumpkin Orange), but tn the end the orange really dominated the palette (which doesn't really bother me, so long as the end result looks good), The figure was primarily bascoated with black primer, while the head was done in white. I don't recall exactly how much time it took me to get from there to what you see below, but I think it was close to two hours or so.
Whatcha' think so far? I've always been better with a hobby knife than a paint brush, and this year I'm really anxious to up my game a bit. Any and all input is welcome!
Continuing on with my Imperial Assault posts.
I was really pleased with these Trandoshan. The method from Sorastro really worked well for the skin of these reptilians.
All of the skin was painted the same. Then, all 4 had different washes with either a little more blue, green, brown, or sepia than the other.
It really shows in the blue and sepia Trandoshan. I will try it out on some of the metal and Bones Reaper Lizardmen I have.
I didn't want to paint one of these as Bossk, since Fantasy Flight Games released a Bossk expansion figure.
So, I gave one of them a "salvaged" Rebel Fighter Pilot Flight Suit. I was least pleased with the colors of it. It comes out a little to stark in my mind.
I also tried to give one a desert camo, and another a snow camo or urban camo. I was most pleased with the outcome of the blue one, so I am giving the detail shots of him.
Continuing on with my Imperial Assault posts, here is Chewbacca.
Again, I have been following Sorastro's guides.
This figure was new for me in the use of multiple layers of dark wash over and over. It was about 5 layers.
The pictures show this sort of granular/peculiar highlight. I checked on the model, and it is areas that picked up drybrushing that never toned down well with wash.
It's all good. I painted Chewie very quickly.
Here is another of my Imperial Assault figures.
IG-88. I followed the Sorastro guide, which involved drybrushing, washes, drybrushing, etc. 4 or 5 cycles.
Then painting on some forced highlights, then a blue wash on one side and a red one on the other.
This was fast, and a little sloppy. But fast.
Who's Online 11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)