Sign in to follow this  
AnneO'Leary

Skin colours for Black Orcs-Help

I just bought the Black Orc Warrios #03489 and am trying to make a decision about what colour to paint the skin. I've never painted an Orc before and am just now learning to paint a Goblin, so please understand that I know absolutely nothing.

I've looked pictures of Orcs and I don't favour the green skin for them. I do like the one painted up by Jeremie Bonamant Teboul

on the Reaper site.

03405_3405_front_jbt.jpg

Can anyone tell me what triad may have been used to get this skin tone? I'm favouring grey's or blue grey's for them. I will be ordering paints from Reaper next week so any help would be appreciated.

Also if you have a pic of an Orc that you think is really cool, I'd appreciate it if you could put it here so I can look at it. I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you.

• Like 2

I suggest looking in the Inspiration Gallery. This picture is there, along with a few other of the same model exactly, and various other orcs. Once there, you can use the Power Palette to get some suggestions on what paint colors might give you that look (or any other look you see and decide you like).

• Like 3

So black skin tones generally are a mix of Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber and then usually some type of tan. My guess that the skin in that photo is roughly

Shade: Burnt Umber

Base: Burnt Sienna + Orange+ tan

Highlight: Orange + tan

You can see what Reaper colors these would be via the Power Pallet http://www.reapermini.com/PowerPalette Just point it to that image and then click the color.

• Like 3

I suggest looking in the Inspiration Gallery. This picture is there, along with a few other of the same model exactly, and various other orcs. Once there, you can use the Power Palette to get some suggestions on what paint colors might give you that look (or any other look you see and decide you like).

Thank you, I didn't realize I could find these there.

So black skin tones generally are a mix of Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber and then usually some type of tan. My guess that the skin in that photo is roughly

Shade: Burnt Umber

Base: Burnt Sienna + Orange+ tan

Highlight: Orange + tan

You can see what Reaper colors these would be via the Power Pallet http://www.reapermini.com/PowerPalette Just point it to that image and then click the color.

Left to my own devices, I would have just used grey's and then wondered why it just looked like concrete. I have so much yet to learn about basic colour theory and about mixing colours. Thank you so much for your help.

• Like 2

I own that triad, and use it quite a lot, and the Dusky Skin Shadow could very well be the deepest shade in the skin but the other 2 colors are not on that mini as the highlights go more yellow and orange instead of off white.

• Like 1

The color on the screen isn't right but this triad is pretty close. http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dusky/latest/09784

If you want to use Monkeysloth's suggestion RMS Walnut Brown is equivalent to Burnt Umber.

It came up that triad and with the Dark Elf triad as well. Mine doesn't have to be exactly like the one in the pic as I'm still a beginner and don't expect to do nearly as well as that. Thank you so much for your help.

I own that triad, and use it quite a lot, and the Dusky Skin Shadow could very well be the deepest shade in the skin but the other 2 colors are not on that mini as the highlights go more yellow and orange instead of off white.

My inability to see things as well as you do explains the difficulty I'm having with my Goblin. I'm just using green and not introducing other colours as I go up. It's looking very chalky because of it. I'm going to try adding yellows to my greens and if that doesn't work, I'll post and ask you guys for help. I've put it aside for right now as it's driving me bonkers.

The color on the screen isn't right but this triad is pretty close. http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/dusky/latest/09784

If you want to use Monkeysloth's suggestion RMS Walnut Brown is equivalent to Burnt Umber.

It came up that triad and with the Dark Elf triad as well. Mine doesn't have to be exactly like the one in the pic as I'm still a beginner and don't expect to do nearly as well as that. Thank you so much for your help.

My inability to see things as well as you do explains the difficulty I'm having with my Goblin. I'm just using green and not introducing other colours as I go up. It's looking very chalky because of it. I'm going to try adding yellows to my greens and if that doesn't work, I'll post and ask you guys for help. I've put it aside for right now as it's driving me bonkers.

No Problem. The reason it is probably looking chalky is that the transitions are too quick. Pictures will help us with giving you specific advice.

• Like 1

Chalky paint is a bane of many of us and affects a large portion of bright or highlight paints due to the nature of their pigments. I add Matte Medium or Reaper Brush on Sealer to the paint to prevent this from happening.

Seeing the colors isn't really hard. I basically started color theory only in maybe December? (Can't quite remember) and then just forced myself to mix instead of always trying to find a paint that matched what I wanted. Once you do that for a few months it gets fairly easy but I'm no Pingo when it comes to this stuff.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 1

If I were mixing colors for that orc's skin I wouldn't use a pure brown, but would mix in a little deep blue to darken and dull the color. Another possibility (although it is more tricky) is to start with a dark violet and add yellow ochre (Palomino Gold in Reaper paints -- a very useful color for mixing).

In both cases I would simply mix in yellow ochre to the skin tone for the highlight color.

• Like 2

No Problem. The reason it is probably looking chalky is that the transitions are too quick. Pictures will help us with giving you specific advice.

I still have trouble finding the "midtone" when I try to build up my layers. Which is why I often end up stripping a figure 2 or 3 times before I get it right.

Chalky paint is a bane of many of us and affects a large portion of bright or highlight paints due to the nature of their pigments. I add Matte Medium or Reaper Brush on Sealer to the paint to prevent this from happening.

Seeing the colors isn't really hard. I basically started color theory only in maybe December? (Can't quite remember) and then just forced myself to mix instead of always trying to find a paint that matched what I wanted. Once you do that for a few months it gets fairly easy but I'm no Pingo when it comes to this stuff.

I'm still struggling with brush control and with being consistent with the things I can do. I didn't really even bother basing until I did my last four Reaper Cowgirls and I'm a long ways from getting that right. Every time I think "Okay, I'm going to sit down and just read" , I end of picking up a figure and painting instead. I know I need to stop and learn more, but I can't put down my brush long enough to do it.

Check out Buglips Bones request thread. He had several different takes on monster skin colors.

I don't know how to search for threads. I've typed in various forms of Buglips threads and come up with nothing.

If I were mixing colors for that orc's skin I wouldn't use a pure brown, but would mix in a little deep blue to darken and dull the color. Another possibility (although it is more tricky) is to start with a dark violet and add yellow ochre (Palomino Gold in Reaper paints -- a very useful color for mixing).

In both cases I would simply mix in yellow ochre to the skin tone for the highlight color.

I'll put Palimino Gold on my list and get it next week. I would never have thought of putting a

I hit the wrong button, sorry.

So let me try this again. I'll put Palomino Gold on my list to buy next week. I would never have thought to mix that with a dark violet. I know if I mix colours, I will have better control on the hues that I work with and I know that I should write everything down so I'll be able to replicate it. I'm not going to be painting these guys for a while yet so I've time to think about it and to experiment. God only knows how many times I'll strip the paint off them before I'm done.

Check out Buglips Bones request thread. He had several different takes on monster skin colors.

I don't know how to search for threads. I've typed in various forms of Buglips threads and come up with nothing.

Never used the search function before...just did and it is a bit wonky.

The thread I was thinking of Is " Buglips's Bones WIP Request Thread". Let's see if this link works: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47928-buglipss-bones-wip-request-thread/page-16#entry720150

-mike

• Like 1

This is the part where I do my regular orc archer, but it's the same skintone I'll be using for the big guys when they arrive:

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47928-buglipss-bones-wip-request-thread/?p=688827

There's a couple of other humanoids in that thread if you go through from the beginning, including a bugbear and a gnoll. The finish on these is fairly rough because they're for gaming, but where possible I tried to explain why I did what I did, why I used those colours, and what I was going for (along with some surprises along the way). That end of things seems to be most useful for beginners, because it sheds light on the thought process.

When the new bones eventually get into my hands, if you're stuck for an idea you can request it in that thread and I'll show you my take on it, see if it kickstarts some ideas.

• Like 2