malefactus

The Last Hurrah Project..Photo Heavy

3658 posts in this topic

I just say excellence takes a bit longer to acquire.

Beautiful work Mal.  Stunning and brilliant in its application.

I have started two my Thunderbolt Mountain Mini's to hasten me along with my My Heath Recovery.

There is no rushing, just build up your stamina, and try to get back into your old pace and harness.

I am optomystic that I will heal quickly, and the Blood sugar will stabilize, and I get stronger so I can do what I want to do.

Love the new denizons of the shallow, and murky end !!!

Jay

5 people like this

11 hours ago, Jasonator said:

I just say excellence takes a bit longer to acquire.

Beautiful work Mal.  Stunning and brilliant in its application.

I have started two my Thunderbolt Mountain Mini's to hasten me along with my My Heath Recovery.

There is no rushing, just build up your stamina, and try to get back into your old pace and harness.

I am optomystic that I will heal quickly, and the Blood sugar will stabilize, and I get stronger so I can do what I want to do.

Love the new denizons of the shallow, and murky end !!!

Jay

Thanks for the warm reply, Jay. I missed your enthusiastic, flowery responses almost as much as your presence on the Forum.

I am delighted you liked my latest piece, AND that you are starting to regain your strength. Like your painting, savor the returning health. 

2 people like this

On 4/12/2017 at 1:00 PM, malefactus said:

There must be something to the game. The Folk that do play Frostgrave are certainly enthusiastic about the game.

The thing is if I play Mordheim for example my leader & those characters that can advance don't have to be magic users.

Since I don't have an opponent, it is all rather a moot point anyway.

IF I ever get down to Texas, I would love to become an opponent on one of your wonderful tables.  Any game system, I'd learn it.  Any house rules you had, I'd learn them. It would be completely and totally worth it.  Heck, just to set up the environs at a convention would be worth it, I'd take two or three trips in a u-haul to ensure that the pieces were not damaged if I had to... 

I've been very quiet on this particular topic recently (had some health issues of my own to deal with, I'm better-ish now).  Your hauls have been awesome and your production has been outstanding as always, Mal!  You've been doing a lot of things, although that crazy moon-thing would be amazing in your world, I can see that in the swamps as either an idol or as an oracle of sorts.  Giving random advice (and feeding the odd being that annoys it to the tentacled horror in the lake that says "no swimming"). 

6 people like this

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Darkmeer said:

IF I ever get down to Texas, I would love to become an opponent on one of your wonderful tables.  Any game system, I'd learn it.  Any house rules you had, I'd learn them. It would be completely and totally worth it.  Heck, just to set up the environs at a convention would be worth it, I'd take two or three trips in a u-haul to ensure that the pieces were not damaged if I had to... 

I've been very quiet on this particular topic recently (had some health issues of my own to deal with, I'm better-ish now).  Your hauls have been awesome and your production has been outstanding as always, Mal!  You've been doing a lot of things, although that crazy moon-thing would be amazing in your world, I can see that in the swamps as either an idol or as an oracle of sorts.  Giving random advice (and feeding the odd being that annoys it to the tentacled horror in the lake that says "no swimming"). 

I am glad to hear you are on the mend, Steve. AND thanks for the reply. I was moving a little slower & with less enthusiasm for a week or so myself. Of course with me, it is also just a matter of getting old.

If you ever drive down this way, I'll have to give you some things to take back with you.

Right now I have three small board underway: a street /alleyway, spooky woods, & either a sewer or a cavern. 

They will serve as photo stages. The  street/alley way will also be a connecting piece between the urban boards:

DSCN4509.thumb.JPG.cdce49a4c4c53873aa472af08ce95e0b.JPG

...these are the back pieces for the street scene & the cavern/sewer drying:

DSCN4510.thumb.JPG.3824b7a6ea6a9ed4da9c24ee5719ecfe.JPG

...AND the spooky woods. The Moon thingy will go up in the top right corner. I may try to make it removable so I can go from a "normal" moon to the leering face:

DSCN4512.thumb.JPG.666aead1f2cdbd31c9d9e5954fd2096a.JPG

...Old Miniaturists are like sharks; i.e., we have to keep active/moving to stay alive.

Edited by malefactus
14 people like this

That is a very cool gnarly tree!

Always a pleasure to see you create things.

3 people like this

4 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

That is a very cool gnarly tree!

Always a pleasure to see you create things.

Thanks, X. I am happy you like the tree. That will be the sort of trees I do on the background.

I'm hoping to get some work in on the boards today....updates are imminent...or not.

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

Love the tree and background.  That mottled "French Mattise and Money coloring and feel.

It is so self expressive in so many ways.  This week was the 80th Birthday of King Harold V and Queen Sonja of

Norway.  The Royal houses of Denmark and Norway have two Queens that are Artists.  They specialize in fabric motif's.

and Queen Sonja designed a dress similar to your oriental look, and created the fabric.  I feel your work and her's

compliment each other's, and that whole french ethos.

Great Stuff.  Hope you can find it on display.  I know there are a couple photo's on "The Royal Order Of Sartorial Splendor"

that shows Sonja wearing the Dress. 

Keep up the great work.

Jay

Edited by Jasonator
typo errors.
4 people like this

1 hour ago, Jasonator said:

Love the tree and background.  That mottled "French Mattise and Money coloring and feel.

It is so self expressive in so many ways.  This week was the 80th Birthday of King Harold V and Queen Sonja of

Norway.  The Royal houses of Denmark and Norway have two Queens that are Artists.  They specialize in fabric motif's.

and Queen Sonja designed a dress similar to your oriental look, and created the fabric.  I feel your work and her's

compliment each other's, and that whole french ethos.

Great Stuff.  Hope you can find it on display.  I know there are a couple photo's on "The Royal Order Of Sartorial Splendor"

that shows Sonja wearing the Dress. 

Keep up the great work.

Jay

Thanks for the reply, Jay...I've missed your enthusiastic style. As it is pictured the background has yet to be worked on. This is the blank canvas of the W.I.P. stage.

I did the tree awhile ago. It still needs painting & probably some foliage. Right now it's there as a height check. Keep an eye on it; I have some ideas for the beasty.

3 people like this

What was to have been a sewer or dungeon setting is now on its way to becoming a Mushroom Forest Background.

I started making the caps out of florist foam ball & half spheres:

DSCN4515.thumb.JPG.7633b7ccf0c78f034474c089ac5e580b.JPG

DSCN4516.thumb.JPG.6cc27b8f4d4e4087ce8f69897187504d.JPG

Next the caps were attached to the background. Stems were added; AND the Mushrooms got some air dry clay work:

DSCN4517.thumb.JPG.cf708bcfbc2867065733bb0bd6345dcf.JPG

DSCN4518.thumb.JPG.102da2e8771a1539758d1f52e43738d0.JPG

DSCN4519.thumb.JPG.075e19f1d8982fb7b8f8899b80364648.JPG

...that will give you a vague idea where this is going. The next part is to do the ground work, get it ready for some paint, AND make it creepier...creepier is my thing.

13 people like this

How are you going to get all these to the Smithsonian for your display?

Looks great!

1 person likes this

56 minutes ago, spencerjohn said:

Looks great!

Maybe we can start a petition????

2 people like this

1 hour ago, spencerjohn said:

Looks great!

..they are just going to have to come & take it all:

200px-Come_And_Take_It_Mural.jpg

...or not.

Thanks for the reply, spenserjohn. I'm glad you like the latest & had enough time off from your labors to stop by.

35 minutes ago, knarthex said:

Maybe we can start a petition????

...now that's an idea.

Thanks for the reply, George.

I am starting to get to the age that I wonder what will happen to it all. I would like to find it all a home before The Man calls my time out.

Dying with the most toys is SO uncool.

3 people like this

That will be an awesome background!

It is inspiring to say the least!

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Xherman1964 said:

That will be an awesome background!

It is inspiring to say the least!

Thanks, X. It's at the detailing stage now. I'll try to get some photos up later...I've been out, one way or another, most of the day.

This is what I am drawing my inspiration from. It is a piece by Tanya Miller:

road_by_millertanya-d384mhz.jpg

...cool, if somewhat creepy, eh?!

8 people like this

I now have the basic piece crafted & base coated...it is more of a gray in actuality:DSCN4520.thumb.JPG.345f27f2be71c1a952ebcd6f2b38f60e.JPG

...the lead/middle ground Mushroom:

DSCN4521.thumb.JPG.79b5b15019aee2e7216e45580d347b2a.JPG 

...you can spot some creepiness developing in the background:

DSCN4522.thumb.JPG.8493a6f1eae58e6eb949dc548bd121cc.JPG

DSCN4523.thumb.JPG.967704b1896146316d5f95e2962acb9a.JPG

...this has nightmare or, at least, bad trip potential.

13 people like this