Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

#Owlbearproblems

I see I see. As you can tell. Still new to minis even though I've been lurking/posting from time to time. ^_^

Is your attached arm hitting the ground next to the base, or is it slightly above? I seem to have a slight upward curve that puts the arm on the ground

Mine's hitting the ground but I think that it's the weight of the mini slightly bending the soft plastic to the ground. I think if it were perfectly stiff it's probably a few millimeters off the ground. I think it still looks good with the arm hitting the ground.

I reinforced the leg with a straightened paper clip by sharpening an end and drove it through the base with pliers and all the way up the leg, it went in surprisingly easy. My alignment was slightly off, the clip poked through a bit on the ankle (see attached photo) but I figured that will be solved with paint.

Now I can bend it into the desired pose and it stays right where I want it.

Also, the included base is pretty flimsy so I made it bigger.

U6MGD1F.jpg

Edited by Osprey71
  • Like 1

My owlbear was find out of the bag, although I did use a tiny bit of glue to fill the seam a little around the arm. It also does tend to fall down on that one arm, but when I looked at the metal one it seemed the same, so I didn't worry about it. I plan to pick up a second, perhaps I'll try modifying the pose slightly. What Osprey71 did looks pretty neat.

I just started this guy last night. He definitely does look like he's falling on one arm, but as LittleBluberry mentioned the metal cast looks the same. If anything I think it makes the Owlbear look more crazed. Mine had some gaps near the shoulder joint as well, but it was covered up nicely once I started painting. The only issue I have with this mini is that the base is so flimsy. Giving the mini a stronger base may help support the leg better so the wing doesn't dip down so much.

Mine was fine out of the box, and there was no gap like others have experienced. At least, not one that I'd notice, but I'm not a minis hobbyist.

My problem is more about aesthetics. I don't really like the pose. It's dynamic, to be sure, and the sculptor is definitely talented. It also does something different from the typical owlbear minis out there. All that said, it just doesn't appeal to me.

My problem is more about aesthetics. I don't really like the pose. It's dynamic, to be sure, and the sculptor is definitely talented. It also does something different from the typical owlbear minis out there. All that said, it just doesn't appeal to me.

I somewhat agree. My problem with it is that its head is not looking at its target. Owl's eyes cannot rotate in their sockets, so with a head and eyes like an owl it should never turn its head away from its victim.

Otherwise, I like the sculpt.

• Like 1

My problem with it is that its head is not looking at its target. Owl's eyes cannot rotate in their sockets, so with a head and eyes like an owl it should never turn its head away from its victim.

Ooo... good point about the owl eyes! Maybe it's attacking upward, then? For example, at an adventurer that frantically climbed a tree to escape? ::P: