Kay

Planning for RC '14- I have questions

So the husbandish and I are trying to make plans to come to RC '14 and I can't find any of the informational threads about RC '13. I assume they were deleted or archived which means I need some help from you guys.

What hotel(s) are used by most people attending?

What hotel was used by Reaper for some of the events of RC?

When does check in start?

What is the start time/day of activities?

When do most people get there?

What is the end time of activities?

It's looking like we'll be able to make a 2 week vacation (road trip) out of the con so I want to make sure we are looking at reserving rooms at the right hotel. (anyone out there that might want to share a room with a guy that snores??)

TIA for the help!!

I would share a room with a guy that snores, if he is willing to share a room with a guy that snores. I would feel sorry for those in the other rooms though

• Like 1

It is hard to speak about RC14 hotel information because it is not yet available.

There is no guarantee that Reaper will stay at the same hotel it used this year for RC13.

It is not usually available until late in the year (Nov/Dec).

It is hard to speak about RC14 hotel information because it is not yet available.

There is no guarantee that Reaper will stay at the same hotel it used this year for RC13.

It is not usually available until late in the year (Nov/Dec).

I understand that, but a place to start, even if tentatively, would be extremely helpful for my overly OCD, must plan every miniscule detail brain. Even if it changes, having a tentative plan now will help me sleep for the next few months.

So the husbandish and I are trying to make plans to come to RC '14 and I can't find any of the informational threads about RC '13. I assume they were deleted or archived which means I need some help from you guys.

When does check in start?

What is the start time/day of activities?

When do most people get there?

What is the end time of activities?

It's looking like we'll be able to make a 2 week vacation (road trip) out of the con so I want to make sure we are looking at reserving rooms at the right hotel. (anyone out there that might want to share a room with a guy that snores??)

TIA for the help!!

1. Most people stayed at either the Hilton Garden Inn (This year's official hotel) or Best Western (Official hotel of Reapercons past).
  2. Some Reapercon events were at the official hotel, Hilton Garden Inn
  3. What do you mean by check in? Ticket purchase? Event preregistration? Hotel check in?
  4. Official show hours were
    1. Wednesday: 7pm - 9pm
    2. Thursday: 9am - 11pm
    3. Friday: 9am - 11pm
    4. Saturday: 9am - 11pm
    5. Sunday: 9am - 6pm
  5. Most people got there around 9:00am but… people seeking on-site event registration (same-day events only) showed up earlier than 8:00am
  6. See #4.
  7. Breathe Right nasal strips; they did wonders for my snoring.

Remember: this is last (this) year's information. Next year could be totally different.

• Like 1

1. Most people stayed at either the Hilton Garden Inn (This year's official hotel) or Best Western (Official hotel of Reapercons past).
  2. Some Reapercon events were at the official hotel, Hilton Garden Inn
  3. What do you mean by check in? Ticket purchase? Event preregistration? Hotel check in?
  4. Official show hours were
    1. Wednesday: 7pm - 9pm
    2. Thursday: 9am - 11pm
    3. Friday: 9am - 11pm
    4. Saturday: 9am - 11pm
    5. Sunday: 9am - 6pm
  5. Most people got there around 9:00am but… people seeking on-site event registration (same-day events only) showed up earlier than 8:00am
  6. See #4.
  7. Breathe Right nasal strips; they did wonders for my snoring.

Remember: this is last (this) year's information. Next year could be totally different.

Awesome! Thanks so much!! Just the info I needed so I can get a rough draft of that weekend planned out. With the express understanding that it could change between now and then.

By "check in" I meant at the Con itself. We'll be registering online but needed to know how soon we can show up at Reaper and let them know we are there, get our bags, etc.. I consider that "check in".

We're going to try Breathe Right but I'm not holding out much hope. A lot of times he doesn't snore, but if he knows that someone else is in the room he will. Needless to say, in the nearly 19 years that we have been together we have always slept in different rooms. Every now and then we'll try sleeping in the same location and it never ends well for me. So for the 2 week trip we'll be getting 2 hotel rooms for each night (even though he is offering to sleep in the car). Yep, we need to start saving now. Gasoline alone will be about $600 based on today's prices, then we need to eat, and have a place to sleep. Plus we need Con fees and a Con shopping budget.

BTW- are there fees for the different classes/workshops at the Con?

$600 for gas seems a bit high (although I admit, I say that without knowing what sort of vehicle you drive). I spent less than $400 for gas this year and I drove in from further away than NC.

Yes - classes at Reapercon were $20 and with that you got back $20 in Reaperbucks. Reaperbucks had no cash value but could be spent at the Sunday afternoon auction. This year, my wife, my friend and I combined our Reaperbucks and bought a Vampire box to split up.

I tend to err on the side of high. I'd rather have extra left over when I get home than be short in the middle of the trip.

We will be going from Greensboro, NC to Memphis, TN to Denton, TX to Savannah, GA to Greensboro, NC. Round trip will be 2,486 miles which doesn't account for misc mileage while in Memphis, our stop in Little Rock, and around Denton for 4 days. So grand total we are guessing at least 2,750 miles. We're willing to help get folks from the airport to/from hotels & food over the weekend since we know that a lot of people will be flying in. (I know there was a shuttle last year but I was thinking that it might not run whenever and wherever people want to go) We'll be driving the Highlander which gets about 300 highway miles per tank. I'm allotting 11 tanks at $60 each. Again, I'm estimating high, hopefully on the price of gas and since some of the miles won't be highway miles we did the math at 250 miles per tank.

Thanks for the info about the class price. I couldn't remember if there was a cost per class or not.

we will have to keep in contact as reapercon approaches. I am hoping to make it, and if i can split the cost of a room with someone it would help a good deal on making it a financial possibility.

• Like 1

Kenny said that he's happy to share a room with you. I just checked and a double queen room at the Hilton Garden in will be about 80 per night (before taxes) unless we can book it (and 100% pay for it way ahead of time) and then it will be 67 per night (before taxes).

We will definitely keep in touch. We'll have to come up with the money before we can commit to anything, but we are working on it.

There were con rates for the Hotels last year that were a great deal. They kick in in January, but don't work with internet booking.

• Like 1

There were con rates for the Hotels last year that were a great deal. They kick in in January, but don't work with internet booking.

Good to know- thank you! I found some pretty good rates that I was happy with but if the con rates end up cheaper that would be better. We aren't ready to book anything yet and we won't start firming up plans until Jan/Feb anyway. I just wanted to get a rough draft of what the trip would entail, and I'm really glad I did. We're looking at roughly $6,000 for the con and the two weeks around it so we'll need some time to get that set aside or we'll need to kick the business into high gear. ::D:

I thought the same thing too, but the con ended up not being as expensive as I originally expected. I drove down from MN (a 15 hour drive). We did it in one shot down, two back. Hotel was $70 a night. I brought a lot of food with me, but ended up eating at the con a lot. In the end, I spent about $2000 for the whole deal, including classes and a $300 con purchase.

• Like 1

FWIW- the Hilton Garden Inn is listing a double queen room for as low as $67 if you book early and pay when you book. That's going to be hard to beat. Does anyone remember what the Reaper rate was?

In what way do the con rates not work with Internet booking?

I booked through the Hilton website using the convention code and got the convention rate.

Did I miss something?