DocPiske

Bones Storm Giants

They say a work of art is never completed, merely abandoned. Here are my latest abandoned projects:

77163.jpg

77162.jpg

• Like 20

first, I love how you've done your photobooth! genius!!!

second, are those the old school citadel 60mm bases?

I like the work on the metal accoutrements, although I have to admit I'm still working out how I feel about the pink... I think it needs some more hilights there or something to break up the colour a bit.

The details are pretty nice. I think the pink issue the poster above pointed out is solvable with a glaze - mix the color of the skin creases (well, maybe a dark red-violet) with the color of the skin highlights and put 2 or 3 drops of that in 8 to ten drops of water (maintain that ratio) and wash the skin with that. It will soften the chalkiness of the pure pink.

Using the tiles like that is genius. :)

The skin is actually violet; I don't know if it is my camera or the background washing out the blues. The hair has blue highlights, too. I'll work correcting the images.

The base for the male is a GW base, the female's base is a 2 inch steel fender washer.

Edited by DocPiske
  • Like 1

Seems like it may be my camera. These were taken with more natural light and they still look more pink.

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

I'll work on the images with Gimp when I get a chance.

• Like 1

Someone a while back posts a link to a little rainbow of colours that I have taped to my background, supposedly it really helps with camera colour balance (I'm assuming it works, I've had no issues). I crop it out afterwards.

I don't have a real good example of a photo with it, I tend to delete my originals (they tend to be huge) after cropping and saving as jpg, but here's one i kept after saving as jpg but before cropping:

Photo_Example.jpg

EDIT- I tried to find the file I used to print it out from, but I can't find it, and I have no idea who posted it here originally =/

Edited by Malynor

The first set of pictures read very pink to me, the second set reads a bit more purple.

The little strip of colors is interesting. I wonder if/how that works.

Great color choices, and nice clean paint jobs!

If your camera supports presetting white balance, figure out how to do that, and first take a photo of just your white background, then try snapping the photos. You can also try just playing around with some of the presets and see if any of them work better.

If these are coming out pinker than they are, it probably means your camera is adjusting white balance to compensate for what it thinks is cooler light. (I think that's right? Maybe I have it backwards...)

It might think it's fluorescent lighht, which often has a greenish tinge. That would turn everything pinker as compensation.

Yeah the white balance option on my camera made a big difference. I just had a white sheet of paper being hit by the same lighting below my minis. Did the adjustment and then turned the camera back up to the mini and snapped. Went from being yellow looking due to the lights in room to a much softer/cleaner look.

• Like 1