dks

60085 Lirianne, Pathfinder iconic gunslinger: sculpt B. Jackson, convert/paint D. Schubert (the WIP thread)

Your paint jobs are so smooth and detailed, it's very daunting to just see a finished mini. Having it broken down into steps with explanations is nothing short of a masterclass in painting. So much to learn from this thread, I'm so glad you took the time to snap the pics and write out the steps.

The sculpting stuff just blows my mind, but that's a very good point relayed from JBT about details that don't hold up to being cast that you can add in later.

Easily one of (if not the) best thread of the year. We should do forum awards. But then you'd just nab all those, too :)

• Like 6

@chaosscorpion: Must mail figure ... must mail ... <shakes head, blinks> Wait, what was I doing? :;):

@CashWiley: Thanks, and you're welcome! Some of the students in my past Freehand classes have said, similarly, that they get a lot out of seeing how I break down a complicated shape or pattern into a series of relatively simple steps. It may not be easy to figure out what those steps are if you see only the final result.

On another note, I see the value in each user having one running WIP thread -- as you and several others are doing -- instead of a thread for each project, especially since so many people are sharing their workbenches/progress. If I do another WIP, I'll probably start a running thread of my own, with links to my past threads to give you a one-stop shop (as Kuro Cleanbrush recently did for himself).

For now....

Derek

• Like 12

That would be a really valuable resource for the community and I think you'll find it to be motivating. I get excited to post up my progress and that motivates me to make progress.

• Like 2

@DKS I always enjoy your WIP threads. I know that it takes a lot of time, even the simple WIPs I've done were very time consuming, but it's very much appreciated when you have the time to invest.

If I do another WIP, I'll probably start a running thread of my own, with links to my past threads to give you a one-stop shop (as Kuro Cleanbrush recently did for himself).

That would be amazing! If I may be so bold, check out the first post of my Workbench thread (linked in my signature below). I keep a running index to the start of each project within the thread as well as the completed project in show-off. I don't know how much other people use it, but it makes it easy for me to go back and reference stuff I've done, kind of an extension of my paint notebook.
  • Like 4

If I do another WIP, I'll probably start a running thread of my own, with links to my past threads to give you a one-stop shop (as Kuro Cleanbrush recently did for himself).

That would be amazing! If I may be so bold, check out the first post of my Workbench thread (linked in my signature below). I keep a running index to the start of each project within the thread as well as the completed project in show-off. I don't know how much other people use it, but it makes it easy for me to go back and reference stuff I've done, kind of an extension of my paint notebook.

And what Cash did was totally the inspiration for what I did on my thread! A solid plan deserves to be copied. ::):

• Like 2

Derek, start your own W.I.P. thread, pleeeease! *begs with cookies*

This thread has been totally amazing, I haven't replied as much as I've wanted to but I have been flawed every step of the way. Your painting is so inspiring.

• Like 5

Thanks for the SBS, it is much appreciated. Love the conversion and finished job...now i want to skip work and do some painting :-(