Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ObsidianCrane

OC's August Painting

43 posts in this topic

So here I am trying to get 20 miniatures painted again this month. Things will probably be easier when the Bones KS arrives, what with Rats and Skeletons and other easy to paint fast miniatures hitting the shelf of shame then.

Completed Miniatures (16)

Reaper: 14604: Joeliyn, Sister of the Blade Warlord

Citadel: Official AD&D Umber Hulk (mid 1980's vintage)

Reaper: 02675: Giant Snake

Reaper: 77096: Labella DeMornay, Banshee

Reaper: 77144: Mummy (1 from KS)

Reaper: 77046: Bat Swarm

Reaper: 77028: Mortar, Gargoyle

Bombshell: Meagan the Buccaneer

Reaper: 77048: Mocking Beast

GW (1980's): Official AD&D Owlbear

Reaper: Bones Skeketon Swordsmen (2)

Reaper: Bones Skeletal Archer (2)

Reaper: Bones Skeleton Spearmen (2)

Edited by ObsidianCrane
1 person likes this

Miniature 1 for the month was this classic Citadel (Games Workshop for you young whippersnappers) official AD&D Umber Hulk, yes in the late 80's this is what Umber Hulks looked like (though I didn't worry about checking for colours).

post-7660-0-66066100-1375783493.jpg

The second miniature I finished was the likely leader for most of my Sisters of the Blade forces for Warlord, which is appropriate as she is one of their warlords anyway (and fairly unarguably their better one).

post-7660-0-08866800-1375784216_thumb.jpgpost-7660-0-39485400-1375784256_thumb.jpg

Not really happy with these photos but its enough for the forums here, I'll have to reshoot before posting to the Inspiration Gallery.

20 people like this

And because I have a handy shot now;

My current Sisters of the Blade force hanging out on some Ice Wind Dales tiles from WotC.

IMG_1420.jpg

10 people like this

I like the freehand on the cloak as well as the shading of the cloak. Those flowers are spot on and I can't imagine getting a white cloak to shade properly. I like you color choices for her armor, though yes, the overall images are dark.

Well done.

I have an early umberhulk from a different company and it lost some of it's insect like nature, so I have always liked this version which maintains both the bulk and it's insect like qualities. Colors are cool and it almost looks like it's trying to "force choke" someone.

Edited by Thrym

Yeah I need to replace one of the globes in my room, it doesn't effect painting but it seems to be messing with photos (at least with my camera, guess I need to tweak settings on it again..)

Thanks for the feedback :)

So I finally finished the model that probably terrifies my usual DnD players more than any dragon, for no enemy has brought the party to its knees wuite like animals, giant snakes in particular!

For extra amusement I finished painting it while "watching" the 1982 Conan:The Barbarian :)

Reaper: 02675: Giant Snake

post-7660-0-86220800-1375793728.jpg

13 people like this

Love what you did with basically 'just black'. I am painting some snakes myself at the moment. Good stuff.

My players are never that scared of animals. They have animal intelligence and usually out-think them. That said I am running Serpent's Skull. :)

You did pray for "cure poison", right? RIGHT?

Great stuff. The classic Umber Hulk is, well, classic. Great model with a cool paintjob. The contrast on the snake's face is awesome. So much serpentine malice in the eyes.

"Do you know what horrors lie beyond that wall?"

"No."

"Then you go first."

Love what you did with basically 'just black'. I am painting some snakes myself at the moment. Good stuff.

My players are never that scared of animals. They have animal intelligence and usually out-think them. That said I am running Serpent's Skull. :)

I was thinking of the red bellied black snake, but didn't actually bother checking any references so its a fantasy snake now. ;) The underbelly is a fairly bright red/orange but so little of it is visible on the snake its essentially black.

My players were not afraid of animals either until one constrictor got the Fighter and the other got the Cleric while the fire snakes kept the paladin and wizard busy. In the end they escaped more because I took sympathy on them (my dice were hot, theirs were corpse cold) than because of anything in particular brilliance. From that point on every encounter with animals went bad for them.... (including one where 2 winter wolves were more dangerous than the adult white dragon they were with).

"Oh no! A rat! RUNNNN!" Your parties must be a helluvalotta fun :P

Yup :)

I'm looking forward to getting back at Christmas and getting rolling again in the new year with them.

Ok I've finished my first KS Bones model! 77096: Labella DeMornay, Banshee

I'll be posting up an explanatory WIP later, but here is the finished model:

post-7660-0-57516500-1376145392_thumb.jpg

5 people like this

77144 Mummy is possibly the easiest model to paint in the KS and get looking half way decent. Base coat with tanned skin or similar, pick out bones with polished bone or similar, wash all with flesh wash, drybrush back to linen white. Paint eyes. Paint base. Done.

So here is my 2nd KS mini done:

post-7660-0-17137800-1376489489_thumb.jpgpost-7660-0-85871200-1376489543_thumb.jpg

9 people like this

Damn but you got a lot of good looking paint jobs here! Nice to see some Kickstarter Bones to find their way in to the group too!

1 person likes this

Miniature 1 for the month was this classic Citadel (Games Workshop for you young whippersnappers) official AD&D Umber Hulk, yes in the late 80's this is what Umber Hulks looked like (though I didn't worry about checking for colours).

attachicon.gifIMG_1415.jpg

The second miniature I finished was the likely leader for most of my Sisters of the Blade forces for Warlord, which is appropriate as she is one of their warlords anyway (and fairly unarguably their better one).

attachicon.gifDSCF4389.JPGattachicon.gifDSCF4387.JPG

Not really happy with these photos but its enough for the forums here, I'll have to reshoot before posting to the Inspiration Gallery.

Love seeing your painted work...I love your Umber Hulk...I am currently in the process of painting mine (Grenadier # 135 - circa 1985) as part of my vintage figures series that I am posting views of once or twice a week...From July 19th to date; I have been able to paint and post 11 of these old figures from yesteryear.

1 person likes this