43 posts in this topic
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
By Ash Adler
Intellect devourers were always one of my favorite D&D monsters, so I'd been planning on painting this mini eventually, but I never got around to buying it since it was kind of plain compared to most other minis. As fortune had it, though, I got it as a bonus with my last order from Reaper, so I decided to just do it. Color scheme was based on a mixture of the AD&D 2nd Edition Monstrous Manual intellect devourer, the more "realistic" 3rd edition version, and a smattering of actual crabs.
As usual, the process of working on it is on my blog: link
Unfortunately, I wasn't sure how to handle holding a mini without a base that I could stick on top of a shot glass. I held it by unpainted parts for as long as I could, but in the end, I held it by the brain to finish off the talons. Sadly, that led to some of the paint getting rubbed off (probably could've avoided at least some of that if I hadn't been squeezing it so hard, but it's easy to forget my strength at times). Aside from that, though, I'm rather pleased with how it turned out . It was a simple mini, but I enjoyed it. C&C welcome (especially any tips for how to avoid damaging finished paint on baseless minis, short of varnishing a completed area to hold it by for the final parts).
By Ash Adler
I'm glad I got talked into checking out these kits. Having someone walk me through what exactly to do really helped me to focus on what was happening with the mini without getting distracted by thinking about the next color choice or whatever.
Honestly, the skeleton was probably my favorite of the 3 minis. Sure, it doesn't have as much going on with it as the other two, but the simplicity makes it good for learning, it's the one that seems best suited to "drybrush EVERYTHING" approach to highlighting, and besides, the dopey look of it is rather cute
This one, on the other hand, was kind of a nightmare. It's not so much that there was anything particularly difficult about the model itself (it's actually posed to make things pretty easy to access all around), but it was just horrible trying to drybrush it with any real sort of cleanliness (not talking so much about how I clearly overdid it in some areas as stuff like the random brown smudges on his skin, metal sparkles on his leather parts, etc.). Well, that, and I had a hell of a time getting the brush to survive banging into the spikey bits no matter how careful/gentle I tried to be with it when doing the leather bits.
Getting more eye practice is never a bad thing, at least. I even managed to keep the black outline all around the whites this time!
This one annoyed me to start out because I just couldn't get the sword to set straight no matter how much I overbent it in the other direction while doing the whole hot/cold water thing. Once I decided to just give up and go with it, though, it was pretty smooth. Probably the best looking of the three in the end.
All in all, it was a very valuable learning experience. Hoping that the learning keep going on through the next kit as well!
By Lidless Eye
I've been testing out the new WizKids ready to paints. It was just the simple beasts for now, but I wasn't too impressed with the PC sculpts. I'm hoping they improve the QC for the next wave, there's some cool designs coming.
The Displacer Beast:
The Blink Dog:
By Ash Adler
Well, this isn't the prettiest miniature I've painted, but I'd intended it more for practice in getting better at blending and highlighting than to be a fantastic final product, since I think my previous minis tended to have very stark transitions.
Thought process and more photos at: link
On the whole, while it has room for improvement, I kind of like how it turned out. The blending on the scythe blade could've been better, but I think it's a big step forward from what I was ending up with on previous minis. The white and yellow still jump out more than I'd like, but the greens at least seem to have a nice transition from about end of the notch to the tip. The skin could've used a little more highlighting, especially around the right knee, but at least I was able to get the sort of corpsy/sickly/necrotic look that I was aiming for. I tried to go for a kind of "cast in shadows" look on the face to go along with the hood, and I'm fairly pleased with what it ended up being, though I think the eyes look more like empty sockets than sunken shadows. The ribs are kind of janky, and I'll just have to live with that. I do really like how the cloth turned out, though, looking like a dank and rotten shroud that's been smeared with all kinds of dirt and crap. On the other hand, the base really didn't work out how I'd wanted. I tried to go for a sort of slate look with a dark blue-grey under some lighter bits, but I really needed to either highlight further or to darken/sharpen the recessed edges, if not both.
Oh well, as I said, this was basically a practice/experiment piece, and if nothing else, I do feel like I managed to learn a little as I worked on it. C&C welcome. I'd especially love to hear any tips on how I could've gotten more of a "flowing magical construct" look with the scythe blade, as opposed to the current "colored piece of plastic" look.
Who's Online 26 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)
- Paint Monk
- Darsc Zacal
- Sophie was taken
- Green Eyed Monster
- Doug Sundseth