Sign in to follow this  
ZabbyMonky

Boil Question

Has anyone experienced the boiling process not holding? I have watched the video and boiled several Bones miniatures to re-position them, but a few Bones figures are not staying in the new position. Boil for 1-2 minutes, re-position, then a cold ice water bath for a minute. Am I missing something here?

The Bones figure that is giving me the most trouble at the moment is the Gargoyle. I bought him at my FLGS in a blister pack. In order to fit in the blister pack his wings were bent straight back,. I have tried boiling this poor mini five times now in order to get the wings to curve inward in front of him to look like they are wrapping around him, but after an hour the wings start to uncurl. Within a few hours the wings are back in the original position. If I boiled this mini any longer I fear he may start melting.

Also, can a figure that has been painted and reverted to the original position due to heat exposure be re-positioned again without damaging the paint in any way? I unfortunately ran into this problem with one of my Bones Pathfinder figures. Poor guy looks like someone broke his arm in battle.

This is not a complaint. I just want to find out how to adapt to Bones figures.

In past topics I've seen people talk about having to over bend some pieces (such as Flit) to get the wings where they want them once them bend back part way.

I haven't done very many figs yet, although one of my skeletal spearmen's spears decided to be less than straight again.

You could try really bending them around, well past where you want them and then give them a couple of days to see how far they unfurl.

I haven't tried boiling a painted fig, but I did dip Halbarand's painted hammer into near boiling water to straighten it, and the paint held up fine. I think the paint on the hammer was pretty much all Army Painter and P3, and the figure was not sealed at the time.

They don't fall apart if you heat them for longer.

Leave it in for ten minutes will do.

Also, hold it in the new position as you plunge into ice-water and leave it in the ice-water for another ten minutes. No need to rush it out.

Various people have discovered that the boil method is useful for reverting figures to their original shape, but not very good for repositioning the figures. Ion order to reposition the wings, you'll need to cut and glue. You might be able to insert metal wire and bend that, but gargoyle's wings might be too small for that too work.

I repositioned the gargoyles wings pretty close to 180 degrees a few weeks ago, and they've been holding firm at about 110/120 degrees since a few days after that.

Various people have discovered that the boil method is useful for reverting figures to their original shape, but not very good for repositioning the figures. Ion order to reposition the wings, you'll need to cut and glue. You might be able to insert metal wire and bend that, but gargoyle's wings might be too small for that too work.

In my experience, this is the case. I bent Flit's wings to an extreme angle and they reverted to the normalized position (but not the initial out of package warped position). Boiling seems to work well as a corrective to get the intended position, but not very well for a new position entirely.

• Like 1

I've had this problem with the Storm Giants sword. I have to boil it at least four times before it ended up being straight enough that I was happy with it. It still sags slightly but it looks like its because where it bends the Bones material is thin compared to the rest of the sword. And gravity does the rest.

Other people have answered this pretty well, but I'll just reconfirm that it is impossible to melt these by boiling them. As long as they aren't touching the burner, they're fine. The boiling temperature of water is way lower than the melting point of Bonesium. No matter how long you boil it, it still won't get hotter than the water around it.

It is also important to get it into the ice water as fast as possible. The "shock" is what resets the plastic's memory, so the longer you let it cool while repositioning, the less likely it is to hold.

Oh, and I wouldn't expect boiling a figure to destroy the paint, but I haven't tested it, and I'd definitely be careful.

Edited by Slendertroll

So far it has not, but my tests haven't been exactly scientific. More a result of forgetting to boil before applying paint. That said, I would actually expect it to (plasticizers may leech during the process, for example) and was rather surprised when it didn't.

I've dipped a painted gargoyle into boiling water to get him leaning forward more, with no ill effects. Paints were Reaper Palomino Gold washed with Reaper Russet Brown with no undercoat/primer.

So a few of you guys have said boiling them for long periods shouldn't hurt them.. but how do you insert them into the boiling water? Do you just drop them into the pot? Do you have to lower them in on a rubber spoon or a metal strainer or something? Do you need to worry about them sitting on the bottom of the pot?

I use a pair of tongs to hold mine in water, though one of those strainer spoons would probably work better for a bigger mini so that your hand was out of the steam (haven't done it on the really thick minis yet). Keeping your hand in steam for that length of time would certainly give you a burn.

I have no actual data on if you need to worry about them sitting on the bottom of the pot. I just don't want to find out. I suppose I could try it on one of the minis I don't like and will never paint.... for science of course, not because I like to watch things melt.

I think sitting at the bottom of the pot could melt them. Since that is where the heating element touches.

I use the microwave though. I just boil the water in the microwave then take it out and place the miniature in. I've held the figure each time because I only needed to bend swords etc. I haven't needed to bend a whole figure back into shape like some have.

Yeah my biggest worry is holding my hand in the steam for ten minutes. Maybe I'll see about getting one of those strainer things you put over the top of a pot that sits in the water.. or something. I just want to minimize the chance of a burn... and I burn easily :)