MonkeySloth

Bones Kickstarter #2 Pre-discussion

My favorite PC was from a Call of Cthulhu PBP, I was an elderly bluesman. Started the game with my guitar, a small pistol, a flask of moonshine and $5. May have been named McKinley Morganfield.

So that would be a cool character to see...but not in Bones...metal forever! :devil:

I count things a bit differently I guess; I get a roughly 2:3 ratio of PCs to NPC/Monsters.
My totally unscientific criteria is simply "would I put that model on the board as a PC?" if the answer is yes then it goes in the PC category, anything not in that category is a NPC or monster.

Over all, I got 104 PC types vs 171 NPC/Monster types.

Those numbers break down like this:

Original 30

PCs: 16

NPC/Monster: 14

Base Vampire Level (including stretch goals)

PCs: 104

NPC/Monster: 137

Add-ons

PCs: 0

NPC/Monster: 34

• Like 1

Buglips already has a sculptor and that's all the information you're getting.

If you're serious than I am already sold on this next KS regardless of what's offered.

They should melt down whats left of the P-65 minis and offer a lead-version upgrade for like $15.

Whoa, good thing I checked back before that snowballed. I didn't think my wording through. There is NOT, so far as I am aware, any Buglips thing involved with this Kickstarter at all - and I didn't mean to imply that.

I don't know how exactly I became a popular choice for mascot, and if Reaper did want to do anything Buglipsian then they can knock themselves out. Thus far I've just been amused reading it.

But when other sculptors get mentioned, then I gots to step in and say the only man Buglips trusts to sculpt Buglips is the #1 Puttyweight Champion Of The Worllllllllld:

Mean Gene Van Horne.

And a Buglips of some kind will at some point appear in some form. That is in no way meant to suggest that sort of thing is in, or has any place in, Reaper's kickstarters. I should have opted for clarity over mystery there. Hopefully this prevents misunderstanding. I don't want to find a bunch of message from Bryan or somebody crying: "Buglips! What have you done?!"

I get too many of those. In fact, maybe best if you all stopped listening to me. ::P:

• Like 9

To me there are two ways to count monsters:

1. Everything is a monster. I use humans as bad guys a lot.

2. The other swing would be, can it have a PC Class? - if yes, it's a PC, everything else is a monster.

• Like 1

Whew! Bullet dodged there then.

I was beginning to worry that if a buglips mascot miniature was being included in the next kickstarter, that I wouldn't be able to afford the option NOT to get the nude version.

There are Some Things miniature collectors are not meant to see.

• Like 1

Right now, DHBones has 60-70 Persons* and 126-136 Monsters* - which is about 1:3 PC:Monster ratio and isn't too bad, really.

Isn't that a 1:2 ratio?

you're right. It is about 1/3 pc and 2/3 monster which is not 1:3.

Anybody wanna guess why I say my math is bad, lol?

Right now, DHBones has 60-70 Persons* and 126-136 Monsters* - which is about 1:3 PC:Monster ratio and isn't too bad, really.

Isn't that a 1:2 ratio?

This might explain a few things, like the "mistake" with Kaladrax's size. :;):

I kid! I kid! Of course.

(Please still let me come to PAX Reaper)

not that anyone will believe me now but that was not me. I swear. I was on the moon at the time.

I don't mind person Bones, these are real nice. It's just for me most person bones work out to a little better than a couple bucks less than for a metal person. But the difference between a metal Pit Fiend and a Bones Pit Fiend - that's a beeeeg difference. People-sized monsters are also cool, since it makes bulk troops more affordable. But individual people, while nice, are a tad less utilitarian.

Mind you, it does make me creative. I decided I wanted to field 20 Medusae. 20 normal medusae is a bit much for any party, so I rewrote the petrification gaze rules* to make it work. But without Bones medusae, I never would have.

*In secret, because I still want to relish the terror when I unveil 20 medusae in a room.

• Like 5

I know there were complaints, especially about the non-fantasy additions to Bones KS I, but, frankly, I kind of like the "something for everyone" approach, if for no other reason than the fact that I am a "one", and therefore can look forward to there being something for me. ::):

I also find myself much more interested in experimenting with other genres or subjects that don't normally appeal to me when they come to me as ultra-cheap Bones.

I will be very interested to see if the type of sculpts will be influenced by what Reaper learned with Bones I. Reaper got a lot of experience with what works well and what does not work well in Bones plastic, thanks to the first KS and an army of eager painting monkeys (us). I would assume that they learned a lot about what the material can, and cannot render well. It'll be cool to see if 2nd (3rd?) generation Bones are visibly better than the first waves. (i.e. even fewer he soft faces, bendy dragons and "nose issues")

• Like 3

I think Wyrmgear came out to be a DHL Bones, but initially I thought he was going to be a Chronoscope. I just think it's fun to have a few different things around to paint up.

• Like 1

Which begs the question, dear Forumites, if you counted every DHBones model into one of either "character" or "NPC/Monster" category, what would YOUR classifications/ratios be? How close is my count to yours (collectively)?

I count them this way:

30 bones - 17 PCs, 13 monsters

Dungeon attack, undead horde, fire it up, haunts, goblins, vermin, Swamp Things, Dungeon dressing, owlbear, griffon, storm giants, golems and familiars all count monster - 105

Fighters, Elves, Dwarves, Klocke, townsfolk I and II, Heros, Chronoscope, dark elves, Zombie hunters, Iconics, Iconics II, Pirates, Dark heros, half sized heros, Necromancers all count PCs - 77

Grave Danger - 3PC, 1 Monster

Mummy - 2 PC, 2 Monster

Bedeviled - 3 PC, 1 Monster

BBEG - 1 PC, 3 Monsters

IMEF and Nova don't count (as they aren't monsters, but I'm using them as an army since I traded for a ton of them, they *could* be under either)

So, PCs 17+77+3+2+3+1 =103

Monsters, 14+105+1+2+1+3= 126

So, it is 5:6 PC to Monster (or if we put the NOVA and IMEF to the PCs, about 50/50)

• Like 1

Although they can be used as a Character miniature, normally Towns folks, dark elves, evil looking, over-sized weapon carriers, odd lineage (dragon, orcish, tiefling, angel, catfolk), miniatures are classified as NPCs.

I have almost no problem with exceptions characters to the race role in my games, but probably the mini will have much more use as a NPC than as a PC.

so.. 43 character, 30 NPCs, 128 Monsters (5 animals) and 2 spell effects.

(not counting Chronoscope, NOVA, IMEF, Dungeon Dressing and Sophie)

But then, this is my opinion.

Edited by naponatom
  • Like 1

Buglips already has a sculptor and that's all the information you're getting.

If you're serious than I am already sold on this next KS regardless of what's offered.

They should melt down whats left of the P-65 minis and offer a lead-version upgrade for like $15.

Whoa, good thing I checked back before that snowballed. I didn't think my wording through. There is NOT, so far as I am aware, any Buglips thing involved with this Kickstarter at all - and I didn't mean to imply that.

I don't know how exactly I became a popular choice for mascot, and if Reaper did want to do anything Buglipsian then they can knock themselves out. Thus far I've just been amused reading it.

But when other sculptors get mentioned, then I gots to step in and say the only man Buglips trusts to sculpt Buglips is the #1 Puttyweight Champion Of The Worllllllllld:

Mean Gene Van Horne.

And a Buglips of some kind will at some point appear in some form. That is in no way meant to suggest that sort of thing is in, or has any place in, Reaper's kickstarters. I should have opted for clarity over mystery there. Hopefully this prevents misunderstanding. I don't want to find a bunch of message from Bryan or somebody crying: "Buglips! What have you done?!"

I get too many of those. In fact, maybe best if you all stopped listening to me. ::P:

Sorry bout that. I do find it amusing that Bryan has yet to chime in on the idea though.

On a related note: how about a "Girot, Battle Nerd" promotional mini? :bday:

because there's still a few important PC style niches to fill - a few more vikings, more barbarians, more variation in nonhumans, and then some monk/ninja/samurai.

Also there were very few clerics in the first set (only 2 IIRC), so I would love to see a lot more of those. And there were plenty of elves but only a handful of dwarves and only one halfing.