• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2184 replies to this topic

#301 MiniCannuck

MiniCannuck

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1327 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

I understand Beagle's feelings.  If you are a painter who is looking for high impact models, many Bones will not live up to the quality of a metal mini.  The flexibility can be a challenge on the smaller models and the details, though pretty great, just don't match up.

Where Bones really excels is with rank and file type of painting.  The Reaper HD paints allow you to paint these minis right out of the box without much prep.  It is fast and takes basic techniques like drybrushing well.  It may not be a show piece but you will be proud to field a large force of these miniatures without breaking the bank on time or money.

The other place where Bones excels for me is with the larger models.  I have found it easier to work with the large models in Bones than their counterparts in metal.  The material is much lighter, doesn't break easily and the detail shines through on these larger scale figures.  To top it off, the price can't be beat both in material costs as well as the cost of shipping.

With everything considered, I am really excited about another opportunity of a Bones Kickstarter - especially if they concentrate on larger models and more rank and file troups.  The price of these models will allow me to build up my collection and still afford to get the premium metal miniatures to highlight my gaming tables.

Bones is not a catch all for every miniature painter but it does offer an affordable solution for the casual gamer who wants good, less expensive models to bring out in their next gaming session.

• Dilvish the Deliverer, Citrine, pcktlnt and 4 others like this

#302 wildbill

wildbill

Tulsa Warlord Gawd

• T-Town Crew
  • 3173 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:43 AM

I am going to put my two cents in for a $100 pledge that allows you to choose somewhere between 30 and 35 models (Reaper's decision on size) worth of Bones models. But, this does not mean it is actually 30 models. It could be be less models. How? I am glad you asked! I have worked up a way for this idea to work beautifully. A standard base size model is worth 1 model. A large base size model is worth 1.5 models. A giant base size model is worth 2 models. So, you can choose any combination of models you want, so long as they add up to the 30 models (or whatever number Reaper chooses). Now, this will entail a LOT of bookkeeping on Reaper's part, but they would get customers like myself to pledge that would not normally do so. I did not pledge Bones I, and if Bones II is similar to Bones I, then I will most likely not pledge that one either. A random grab bag of assorted minis, metal or plastic, is not my thing.

Wild Bill :blues:

"Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building."

My Indian name is "Runs With Beer".

#303 Pragma

Pragma

Uber-Mensch

• Bones Supporter
  • 592 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

I am going to put my two cents in for a $100 pledge that allows you to choose somewhere between 30 and 35 models (Reaper's decision on size) worth of Bones models. But, this does not mean it is actually 30 models. It could be be less models. How? I am glad you asked! I have worked up a way for this idea to work beautifully. A standard base size model is worth 1 model. A large base size model is worth 1.5 models. A giant base size model is worth 2 models. So, you can choose any combination of models you want, so long as they add up to the 30 models (or whatever number Reaper chooses). Now, this will entail a LOT of bookkeeping on Reaper's part, but they would get customers like myself to pledge that would not normally do so. I did not pledge Bones I, and if Bones II is similar to Bones I, then I will most likely not pledge that one either. A random grab bag of assorted minis, metal or plastic, is not my thing.

Wild Bill :blues:

Estimated fulfilment completion date: summer 2037.

• TaleSpinner, smokingwreckage, Dai-Mongar and 7 others like this

#304 Orlando_the_Technicoloured

Orlando_the_Technicoloured

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1574 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 07:57 AM

That does indeed seem to be something they'd want to avoid

the add-ons made fulfilment of this KS enough of a nightmare for them, anything that risks making things more complex would make things exponentially worse

#305 aku-chan

aku-chan

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1224 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

If we're wishlisting...

Reaper, work out how to make this guy

14637_p_5_mj.jpg

in Bones and you will have all my money.

• Girot, ub3r_n3rd and OneBoot like this

#306 Bluedragon_28

Bluedragon_28

• Bones Supporter
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:30 AM

From what I heard at the GenCon paint and take.  It will be some of the bigger kits being made into bones and more new mini's.  Reguardless we will buy them.... I know I can't stop myself...  

• Dadcubed, JDWiker and OneBoot like this

#307 Dai-Mongar

Dai-Mongar

Master

• Bones Supporter
  • 766 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:20 AM

Shouldn't most of this be going into the "Bones you'd like to see" thread?

Also it's worth remembering that as much as we might like to see something like a half-orc bullfighter and his pet marmoset, the moulds are very expensive for Bones, so they can't afford to do minis that only have fringe appeal.

• Maledrakh likes this

#308 (SMD)MadCow

(SMD)MadCow

Rabble Rouser

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

Bones Kickstarter 2: The Monster Manual Strikes Back
  • TaleSpinner, Girot and Teskal like this

#309 Teskal

Teskal

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1298 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

Bones Kickstarter 2: The Monster Manual Strikes Back

As long the pledge level is not named 'Monster'!!! Think about it, how many Vampires are in the Vampire Pledge. :-)

I want more monsters!

Edited by Teskal, 22 August 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#310 psyberwolfe1

psyberwolfe1

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 2243 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:45 PM

My concern is it seems KS is becoming the only way to get new figures. Stores aren't carrying them. Reaper hasn't released any new figs in awhile (for obvious reasons) and we can't buy more (also for obvious reasons.) The whole KS thing is really becoming a disappointment because availability is getting killed.

• wildbill likes this

2014 Painting Goal: 6 Figures/ 36 Painted as of 01/22/2014

For other Wargame and miniature related stuff you can read my blog at http://tacticalrock.blogspot.com

Does anybody else find it odd, by the way, that the information age has led to language becoming an oblique and imprecise tool where even the most straightforward phrasing is pored over with chicken entrails and bone tossing to divine the true meaning?

... nobody remembers Slave Leia because, "Oh my gosh! What innovative use of bronze."

Meep.jpg

#311 JackMann

JackMann

Godlike

• Bones Supporter
  • 1708 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:53 PM

Stores aren't carrying them because they're not allowed to order them yet.  They'll be allowed to order them as soon as fulfillment is done.

Edited by JackMann, 22 August 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#312 buglips*the*goblin

buglips*the*goblin

Emperor of The Moon

• Forum Mascot
  • 12353 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

Yeah, it's two parts working together.  The Kickstarter eats up so many resources that it disrupts normal releases.  The Kickstarter itself, on its own, is not so bad - we're just aware of the product for a longer lead time, and there's a window of exclusive early access.  If not for the disruption, that'd be okay.

I loved the KS, and I've got lots of love to give #2, but I'm not thrilled at the level of disruption to normal operation.  We'll have to see if Reaper has come up with a solution to mitigate this.  I mean, if somebody didn't go in for the Bones the place has been halfway to ghost town for new stuff. 

• dwarvenranger and CashWiley like this