Wilwarin

Ultra Forge's Vrok

10 posts in this topic

This is the LARGEST I have ever painted at a whopping 5 inches tall! I must admit that it pushed me beyond my comfort zone, but I enjoyed the challenge. There were many times I just wanted to throw the thing at the wall, but didn’t… and I’m happy with the results.

I painted Ultraforge’s Vrok (Greater Lord of Change) with a rather cool colorscheme. I had no idea what to paint it and the few I saw online were either a pastel purple or greenish-blue. I have a friend who is planning on possibly purchasing him from me, so I wanted something that wouldn’t be too much of an eyesore with his overall color scheme.

In the mood of its name, I found “Let’s Change!” by plch on Colourlovers:

lets_change.png?w=500

I really like how the colors play on each other. After painting him, I did a few washes on pretty much everything and then drybrushed highlights on. His base is on a wooden plaque with two stones glued on, that I painted over, some water effects to form a swamp, and some flock on the stones for moss. Enjoy! He took about 30 hours to paint!

post-4937-0-28581200-1377293141_thumb.jpg

17 people like this

Looks really nice, great work!

1 person likes this

Nice! I dig the Ultra Forge stuff, have thought about picking up their Mercenary Giant a few times. I like what you did here, as it is different than other iterations of this model I've seen, but still striking. Top notch, man.

1 person likes this

Nice work on a challenging model. The base as well. The one suggestion I would make is to push the value scale on the wings a little. Lighter lights, darker darks.

1 person likes this

Very very nice.

I really like the colour you chose for the main body and how it contrasts with the wings and the rest of the mini. ::):

I don't have this figure but I do own several of UltraForges minis and they are great sculpts indeed.

1 person likes this

Thanks, everyone :) The photos don't do it justice >.< Unfortunately the highlights are a bit dim in my photos :( I need a new camera, it seems :(

Nice work on a challenging model. The base as well. The one suggestion I would make is to push the value scale on the wings a little. Lighter lights, darker darks.

Thanks! I actually pushed the highlights on the wings up to white and did a dark wash over them. He's varnished now, so I'm calling him done. I have a show I'm going to, coming up on Sunday, and have other things I need to finish for it as well, so he's done for now :) I do appreciate your critiques, though!!

I like the warm/cool contrasts a lot! As well as the detailing around his waist.

1 person likes this

I like the warm/cool contrasts a lot! As well as the detailing around his waist.

Thank you! :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Shindoku
      I'm looking at basing some of my miniatures now that I have a few standard 25mm round bases but I seem to have run into a problem. In the Animal Companion pack, the wolf and the cat are too big for these bases as it seems they were made with cavalier bases in mind. Luckily, the bear is on two hind legs swiping so I should be able to base it with no problems, possibly having to glue a coin inside the base to give it weight to not fall over. I've seen the thread discussing the Owlbear and Iron Cobra with the same problem, but I'm not a fan of the solution of simply basing the figures with larger bases than what the size is in Pathfinder. I'm anal, and a bit stubborn. I figure the best way is to build up the platform with some slate on an angle and have the figure looking over Lion King-style or coming down like a prowling predator. Wondering if anyone has other suggestions I could try, even to mix it up a bit so not every over-sized miniature is based the same way. I'm attaching a picture to show just how much larger the figure is to the base, and where the feet are.

• By Dosani
      Hi, i am a slow painter, so even if i started some time ago, i am just paiting my first full body armor miniature (seelah paladin on bones). I bought several Reaper metallics and some also came with the learn to paint kit i bought too, and ALL of them have issues. First they tend to dry too fast even on wet pallete, also i stirred them with a drink stirrer, but still paiting with them is a pain , specially compared to the P3 metallics, which i bought some time ago as i heard very good things about them. Well my question is this, is it normal that the RP metallics have this bad coverage, and issues like drying too fast and horrible brushtrokes (i try to dilute them, but as always, water is an enemy of metallics , also try to spread small quantities of undiluted paint, also dont work), or its just a very bad batch? 

If so , how can i save them? They work, its just that they work bad IMO. If its not possible for me to save them, do you know if i can ask preplacements from Reaper? I wrote them some weeks ago but nobody answered me. This issue buggers me as i live in Bolivia south america, here Reaper is not available anywhere, i made my part importing them to my country, and they dont work so i am a sad panda :(

Thanks pals
    • By CrazyK
      Has anyone seen the textured rollers made by the company Green Stuff World?   Came across them when I was buying some items to make bases.   Bought a few of them, but now I have seen how simple and quick it is to make bases am thinking I will buy the others when I am a little more financial.   Tonight pumped out 16 bases using the planks for rebasing some of the Rum & Bones stuff I am about to paint.  

Anyhoo thought I'd share the before and after pics.   Did a quick paint up of them to see how they would turn out. Just bases coat, washes and bit of drybrushing.   First one is meant to be frozen, but I thought it would work really well as lava.

• By OvantheWise
      Hay there haven't posted in a wile, my store is under renovation so I haven't been able to work on stuff lately. I was working on a half orc anti paladin but unfortunately I guess I didn't mix the epoxy correctly when I was gluing the figure together and half way threw painting her she fell apart. So instead I was able to finish this first and wanted to share it.

This is the 60059 Harrower, in my mind she is standing at the edge of a cliff channeling magic getting ready to attack what ever is below her. I wanted to try something different with the magic effect so I tried we blending colored washes into different metallic colors and I like the result I got, I then decided to go with a some what anime style theme to the rest of the figures paint scheme. I have included both 2 work in progress photos as well as 2 taken after final assembly. I have no idea why the two final assembly photos are so dark, but the color in the work in progress is much closer to what it actually looks like in person. As always feed back is welcome, please keep in mind I don't normally paint small detail like what I did on the cards and I am working to improve my line size and consistency.

As always I post stuff like this and more on my FB page if you would like to follow it I would greatly appreciate it. www.facebook.com/TabletopGlory

• By Crashguy2
      So, I have a Wyrmgear model and a 120 x 92 mm base to put him on. Problem is, I want to put a tile pattern (probably made from cardboard) on the base, and the Wyrmgear model has rocks as part of his feet. Him walking around on rocks probably wouldn't fit if I wanted to do something indoors, probably in a castle with interesting-looking undamaged tiles.

How might I safely remove the rocks on his feet?

Store link for reference:

http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/wyrmgear/sku-down/77177
  • Who's Online   31 Members, 2 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)