Sign in to follow this  
Reaperbryan

PC types Vs Monster types

My definition of 'Monster'

roughly speaking anything that isn't human/dwarf/elf of any flavour/Halfling

(very narrow I know)

but my More Monsters! i's mean stuff that's larger than the above or 4 legged, or not humanoid,

what I don't want (so much) is stuff that could classic PC material just with a different paint job (so less vampires, evil fighters, helborn, etc)

Another way of looking at it would be (as a poster above pointed out) monsters are what the GM of a typical group will have to buy for whatever game is being played,at cons Bryan will be asked for 5or 8 of X and paid when he hands them over

non-monsters are bought by the players to be 'them', at cons Bryan will be aksed ..... do you have that with/without a bow, that helmets wrong have you got another mini, no she needs a long scimitar, it says this is a ranger on the packet not a figher , but my PC wears fingerless gloves, has a parrying dagger etc

• Like 2

I'd rather get an orc and a hobgoblin than two different orcs. With the line in early expansion, compared to DHL, breadth of many types is presently more valuable than depth of one type.

20 different monsters is 20 different monsters.

20 different orcs is still just 20 orcs.

I'd rather have a Broo than yet another orc. For that matter, I'd rather have three different Broos and a Walktapus than another orc. But I'd rather have another orc than Mr. Potato Monster Version Q6 -- Now with More Tentacles!

There are huge sections of bestiaries for many gaming systems that are filled with creatures that are clearly desperate attempts to sell yet another bestiary and that I find to be useless for my game. I don't even need one of them.

• Like 1

A customizable Mr. Potato Head type monster would be awesome. I kind of want to see someone do this now. ::D:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

More monsters would be good since in all honest the monsters generally look better as Bones than a lot of the pc types who really need the facial details to be good.

I'd rather get an orc and a hobgoblin than two different orcs. With the line in early expansion, compared to DHL, breadth of many types is presently more valuable than depth of one type.

I'd rather have a Broo than yet another orc. For that matter, I'd rather have three different Broos and a Walktapus than another orc. But I'd rather have another orc than Mr. Potato Monster Version Q6 -- Now with More Tentacles!

There are huge sections of bestiaries for many gaming systems that are filled with creatures that are clearly desperate attempts to sell yet another bestiary and that I find to be useless for my game. I don't even need one of them.

I would like to see a Broo* mini as well:

2058262-astonishing_x_men_40_016.jpg

* Though I suspect you were referring to the goatmen from Runequest, not the X-man.

Mr.Potato Head Horror. Crawls through dungeons eating goblins. Particularly tangerine goblins.

10ff18269e9244c97286b26406bed5d4.jpg

• Like 14

I'd already commented on the counts for PC verse monster (removing all of the non-fantasy and scenery stuff, but including the pathfinder stuff) at about 50%/50%.

For what I want to see in monsters is a progression of monsters from mid level (KS1 took care of lower level monsters, like orcs, goblins, rats and vermin, skeletons, etc) to higher level monsters.

Cool monsters:

gelatinous cube

basalisk

gibbering mouther (I'm bias, this is my favorite monster!)

shadows (ha, sculpt that!)

wights

ettin

troll

unicorn

centaurs

shambling mounds

treant

xorn (another favorite monster of mine)

hobgoblin

gnolls

pegasi

Chimera

Water elemental (medium to XL)

air elemental(medium to XL)

Djinni

Efreet

Tarrasque

pretty much any/all of the demons, devils, outer plane baddies

manticore

displacer beast

beholder

umber hulk

and, of course, dragons (from young adult to ancient) and giants

My other request is siege equipment (catapult and so on)

I'm more of a miniatures/wargamer than a RPGer, and I haven't played D&D in ~20 years, so things like Pathfinder's "iconics" and "bestiary" are totally meaningless to me. When I sorted my KS minis, they got bagged in terms of "what can you do for me?"

I have a bag of potential conversions for my Warhammer [40k] daemon army, a bag of zombie apocalypse figures, and a bag of pulp/sci-fi heroes and minions.

There's a bag of "dungeon crawl": a few sterotypical adventurers, some friendly townsfolk and notable mentors, a few potential villains, and most of the Dungeon Attack set, with bugs and rats and kobolds to beat on.

There are themed bags for an "orc & goblin campaign", an "undead" campaign, and a "fire" campaign. (I cut myself off without ordering the "frost" campaign options)

Then I have a bag of "monsters", with all kinds of scaly, feathery, leathery things, and a bag of "characters" - potentially PC or NPC, hero or villain - which is every man-sized biped that isn't in one of the other bags.

BUT...

If you're scrutinizing my choice of e.g. which bag has the tieflings, I think you're missing the point. The question of what I want out of Bones - or whether I pledge the next Kickstarter - is not the question of, "Do I consider tieflings to be PCs or monsters?" The question for me is, "Do I have tieflings covered?" When I play a game, and I decide I want to have X in the game, do I have it covered? When I go to the bag/case/shelf/wall/vault of figures, can I pull out X and put it on the tabletop? In the case of tieflings, the answer is "yes".

In the case of sword+shield+platemail character, the answer is "Oh my God yes, up to and including male and female versions of basic fighters, as well as paladins who have - or have not - recently set their sword on fire." How about a town-militia fighter with spear and tunic? Well, there's that one farmer guy with a pitchfork, I guess.

Wizards? There are about 6 different Gandalf variants, for several points along the spectrum of good to emo to evil, and the corresponding female equivalents in a selection of stunning eveningwear.

What about a far-eastern monk? Or a western, or near-eastern monk, for that matter? Some of the wizard types could squeeze in, and the Pathfinder iconic does for a middle-eastern look.

Sorry, I'm rambling now.

To directly answer Bryan's question: I tend to follow the Tolkien/Warhammer/OD&D mindset of the "noble races" as player characters - but really, doesn't that just mean possible PCs? Is Faramir a PC or NPC? In my eyes, he's a human with a bow and a cloak - maybe a little on the heroic side.

I have a few humans with bows and cloaks now. I have enough thieves with two daggers. I have lots of people with robes and staffs. I have plenty of mighty, armored, sword-and-board warriors to defend the crown, but I do not have brigands for them to fight.

I have only one floating-eye-monster - but I believe that is sufficient. I have no slimes or jellies, which is not.

I have no bears and no wolves for my forests, nor pigs for my village. But I have many dragons, which strikes me as... ecologically unsound.

My miniatures collection is a toolbox, with which I build fun. I want you to help me fill it with new and different tools. Some tools are like screwdrivers, where you want lots of different-but-similar sizes and shapes. Some tools are like hammers, where one good, big one is enough. Make good tools, and I will buy them, and I will be happy.

- H8

• Like 10

Yeah, hyper aggressive wild boars for the village piggery, and ambushes in the forest, and royal hunts, and for demented demi-humans to ride into battle, and, and... so what about a "wild encounters" set with a bear, a wolf, a boar, and... a big... snake or something?

• Like 2

I have no bears and no wolves for my forests, nor pigs for my village. But I have many dragons, which strikes me as... ecologically unsound.

That's why the maidens get fed to said dragons. There's no bacon.

Anyway, with regards to the questions at hand, my answer would be PC figures are those that are more distictive, whereas "monsters" would be those that are more generic. But our group has a rather flexible definition of what constitutes a playable character, up to and including giants and dragons.

• Like 8

I already own 3/4s or so of the Dark Heaven line, and only got into picking up the Bones line to get 'rank and file' miniatures to fill out the body of miniatures I already own. Consequently, I'm not all that fussy about whether there are 20 different orcs or not. I can always mod some figs if I'm really worried about experiencing some feng shui-related angst at seeing duplicate pieces on the table.

However, I do agree with Bryan's arguement that commonly used monsters be put out for the line before oddball ones are considered. Thus, I'll take 20 different hobgoblins before a single Aboleth, simply because they'll be of much more utility in my game. After all, the average gamer might need one or two Aboleth for a single encounter in a campaign - so making an investment in a pair of metal ones is no huge cross to bear. I've probably got a half dozen or so lying around the joint now that I think about it . . .

The Egg

However, I do agree with Bryan's arguement that commonly used monsters be put out for the line before oddball ones are considered. Thus, I'll take 20 different hobgoblins before a single Aboleth, simply because they'll be of much more utility in my game. After all, the average gamer might need one or two Aboleth for a single encounter in a campaign - so making an investment in a pair of metal ones is no huge cross to bear. I've probably got a half dozen or so lying around the joint now that I think about it . . .

One problem with that is it cancels out what the bones do best, which is big creatures. I mean, if you really want hobgoblins, you can probably get them in metal. For big creatures, both the cost and just physical weight of them makes them impractical in metal. And those exact same large creatures will also be less commonly used that goblin #6.

That's probably why we got so many giants and dragons, as they are an attempt to take advantage of the bonesium's large monster benefits while also trying to maximize how common the creatures are.

I'd like to see some properly scaled Bones versions of some of your Dinosaur range! I'd be sooooo interested in that Delux T-Rex and a pack of Raptors. Maybe a herd of Triceritops (possible mounts?)

• Like 3