Les Seabolt

Primer Problems with BONES

When I got my bones vampire kickstarter box, I immediatly picked out all of my pirates and primed them I use Krylon white primer from a hardware store. Has served me for years and seemed to do just fine.

Used Krylon flat black on some undead with no issues.
A few days ago I grabbed a few more bones and sprayed them and now they are really sticky. Acrylic paint goes over it and dries without being gooey but painting them is a mess as the primer comes off on my hands. Why did the first batch work fine and the second (And 2 subsequent tests) get all gooey?

I have had a similar problem before with models with rubber like wheelsgetting tacky after using gloss coat.

Also Some of my bones seem to be a harder plastic much like Pathfinder and D&D minis while others are flexible and vinyl like, so spears and swords never can be straight. Are there mixes of plastic types used?

Les

There are different mixes used for some parts. Some people have also found that the more rubbery bendy ones can be hardened up a little over time or with boiling. Dipping them in hot/boiling water and then into ice water is also a way to reset ones that are bent out of shape, but it is the case that you'll never get as straight a spear or sword with Bones as with a metal figure.

Most spray primers do not cure (so remain tacky) when sprayed over the Bones material. Spray primer is also very sensitive to weather conditions. I suspect it was cooler and/or less humid when you sprayed the first batch. Aim for between 60-80 degrees and humidity of less than 60%. Note that spray sealers are likewise (if not more so) very sensitive to weather conditions.

You really do not need to prime them, undiluted paint sticks very well and is as durable as if you prime them. Honestly! I am fanatical about priming metal and resin miniatures, and treating them very carefully. I do not prime or seal my painted Bones, and will happily carry them around loose in a box or bag for transport or storage. (Those are gaming figures, I take a little more care with ones I spent a lot of time painting or which have more fragile basing.)

You will get the best result painting over Bones that you have washed with dish soap and thoroughly rinsed, but you can paint them straight out of the package.

There is actually a lot more info about the craft side of working with Bones in the Bones section of the forum than this one. If you look at the top of the Bones forum, you'll see three pinned articles I wrote. The FAQ is what it says, and is the short version of what primers, paints, glues and so on work with Bones, as well as having answers to other general questions. There are two others - Preparation, and First Coat is the Difference that include my tests of glues, putties, paints and primers. There are also lots of other threads in that section where people trade experiences with Bones and recommendations for products that work well with them (or don't work so well.)

http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/forum/48-bones-miniatures-legendary-encounters/

• Like 2

Thanks Wren I did not even see the Bones forum went straight to painting. I'll try a couple un primed, but my decades in painting feels squeamish about it (laughing)

I'm also fanatical about priming my metal and resin...and though I primed my first couple Bones I just start with undiluted paint now (preferably HD). The zombies and Goldar in my WIP thread are all unprimed.

But do wash them first. I've done several now unprimed (felt really wrong at first). The first I did not wash and it's paint is coming off in the bendy places. The washed ones have taken a beating with nary a chip or flake.

• Like 1

Very much depends on the specific plastic... all Bones are NOT created equal! I've had good luck with Krylon Primer/Paint-In-One, but sometimes I've had trouble with the primer not curing, even when I used THAT!