MojoBob

Fitz's Heapin' Mountain o' Bones... progress thus far

That's a very nice metal paint job. Quite different from the stone version. Every time I look I see different colors in the oxidation - just like a real patina! This is definitely NMM to the next level.

I like the effect you went for on the inner lining. Whatever was in there must smell very bad. :zombie:

I'm simultaneously laughing and wrinkling my nose in disgust. It does look like whatever was in there decided to get up and go for a walk... a hundred years later.

I'd love to know what you did to achieve the effect on the sarcophagus.

It's super simple. The base colour is Vallejo VMC 897Bronze Green, which is a lousy match for pre-WWII British army bronze green, but an excellent match for patinated bronze. Huh.

Then I add a little white to the bronze green and sponge lightly all over, then again with an even lighter mix. Don't get too heavy-handed with the sponging. Two sponge layers is as far as I'll go unless I want the effect of really heavy verdigris.

Next is a fairly heavy all-over wash with Vallejo Sepia Shade. It's good for this purpose, because it's quite viscous; it pools and dries to a sort of corroded rusty look — I know bronze doesn't rust like iron, but it kind of works.

Next, dry-brush lightly with copper, and finally, dry-brush even more lightly with a dark gold (the one I use is a craft acrylic called Antique Gold) just to pick up the highlights.

And that's it.

• Like 3

2014-01-27_evilaltar.jpg

More of those Bones-painting shenanigans. This time it's number 77139: Altar of Evil by Bob Olley.

Again, it's a model that I've painted before, but differently.

The idea of painting flames in the arches came from somebody else; I saw it somewhere on the internet and I thought I'd give it a go, but alas, it looked a lot better inside my head than it does in real life. Hey-ho, could be worse I guess.

• Like 16

Maybe some OSL?

The idea of painting flames in the arches came from somebody else; I saw it somewhere on the internet and I thought I'd give it a go, but alas, it looked a lot better inside my head than it does in real life. Hey-ho, could be worse I guess.

2014-02-07_catriona.jpg

This is another figure from my pile of swag from the Bones Kickstarter (No.1).

Unfortunately I don't know what the model number is; I can't find it in Reaper's online catalogue, and I suspect it's one of the ones that has been withdrawn due to moulding issues. It has very poorly defined detail in the hands and face, both of which are moderately important areas when you're modelling the human form. I've done what I can with paint, and it looks OK as long as you're not looking at it from two inches away.

It's a figure destined to represent my friend Andrew's character, Catriona the druid. There's a remarkable paucity of druid-suitable figures available of either sex, and this is the closest we could come from amongst the figures I have.

• Like 13

2014-02-27_orc-archer.jpg

Bones 77056: Orc Sniper (Archer) by Tre Manor

This is the figure from my Sculpey-baking experiment, all painted up and ready to go. It's a speed-paint with a very limited palette, since he's just going to be one among many orc-mooks, but I find it kind of suits him.

• Like 16