Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Working on a belated bday/doubling as holiday gift for a friend and DM. This was originally one of the "Nozgul's Marvelous Unpainted" human wizard minis. Img link (one on right). Converted it to better resemble friend's character: A heavyset archanist archwizard who is generally jolly, high, and giving out magical candy. The character also has lots of pockets and satchels with assorted items and goodies. He's basically the DM's avatar in game to point players in the right direction.
Anyway, his arch wizard character was taken prisoner at one point and trapped inside a jar.....
So I decided to try my hand at a jar display.
Used a metal washer under the floor in the jar, and magnets on the miniature's base, so he can take his wizard out for tabletop play, and store him in the jar.
The jar base has been a pain in the arse.
Bottom of jar isnt flat at all, so I cut a piece of heavy paper to the size of the base and then put it in and filled the jar with coins for a few days to bend it to the shape. Once I was satisfied it had molded properly, I took the paper out, cut it in half and molded on top of it usinf a base of hot glue, and topping it with modeling paste that I textured.
Scratched up the inside bottom of the glass with clarse sandpaper to give glue some grit to hold to. Put a few coats of black paint into the bottom border of the jar and then added a bunch of Elmer's for each half of the base. The whole base would not fit through the opening if it was one piece. I think I either used too much glue, or the Elmer's just doesnt bond well in this situation. But it's taken over a full 24 hrs to mostly dry.
Added some more paint on the jar base texturing, then used a sculpting tool to pull parts of the paint off the inner glass to get that slight tendril look, and now I'm about 90% done.
Still need to put a clear coat on the wizard, and may add some other details to him if I can figure out what will really help.
The jar, I'm thinking a piece of black fabric attached to the top part might work out well, with some kind of sigil.
Any suggestions or advice on anything else is welcome.
The other half has taken to figure sculpting. I managed to sneak a pic of the concept work and one of the pieces she's working on before she caught me and threw me out of the room :P
Her concept art, and one of the pieces she's currently sculpting. The one being sculpted, only has half the arms attached, and the face is still being worked on. (as is the mushroom cap)
Alright, he's done! This little guy is a gift for my computer repairing friend, who has dealt with my computer for far too long. He's an uber nerd.
I tried my hand at NMM again on the pistol. This time I didn't quite go all the way to black, sortof. I used a super pale blue-gray, then washed with black, and highlighted with ghost white. There is a wee blue part on the back of the pistol - those are my friend's initials. The figure in the store page that's painted has the hands as just hands, but I saw extra wrinkles and decided to make the hands gloved instead. Would have been too much of a pain to file them down to hands, I think. Impression I was going for with the outfit was sweater, jeans, gray coat, black gloves and boots. I considered putting 5318008 on the calculator, but my brushes complained about that, so I went with pi.
Still working out the photography aspect, but these aren't too shabby. Unfortunately, I accidentally got my fingerprints all over the outer lens of my nice camera when disassembling the lighting setup after this photo >.< The lens stuck to the light ring and it was so clear that I didn't notice until I bopped it with my greasy mitts.
Link to the WIP:
I am going to be gluing this guy to a clear round base; the shoes will be painted last after I dislodge him from the tiny bit of metal used to hold him. I don't do much basing so I avoid this type until I find a perfect figure for my needs like this.
This fellow will be a gift for the nerd who has been repairing my computer. Thinking blue hair, green skin, red shirt, gray coat, jeans.
The eye turned out okay. Face is alright so far. Just started the sweater, but then I started hacking up a lung and stopped. It is tough painting right now as I sporadically am having hideous coughing fits. Both that and hot toddy remedies are bad for painting :(
Anyway, current WIP. My rainbow fairy should get some updates tomorrow.
Who's Online 24 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)