I just started painting minis with a LTP kit and then my Bones 1 KS minis. I have a bottle of Reaper brush on sealer and also have some matte finish spray. I paint my minis with mainly Reaper paints (and some Citadel). Should I put a sealer coat on? Or does the sealer crack due to the bones being a little bendy?

It should be fine. Bones don't really need to be sealed, the paint bonds with the plastic and it's pretty tough, but your Bones shouldn't be bending enough in regular use for the sealer to crack.

Not necessarily. ): I'd research first into *why* it's tacky before proceeding further:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/840044/minis-still-tacky

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?650128-Minis-still-sticky-after-clear-sealer

From what I've read, Citadel paints alone should not cause tackiness. Post a detailed WIP including drying times to hopefully get some help and painting feedback!

EDIT: Did some searching based on anime's reply, but no luck finding a decent answer to the problem. ):

Edited by ced1106

Painting my Reaper Bones Pathfinder Dragon with no primer. I used dish soap and warm water and used a hard brush to try to remove any release agent. All I have on the mini right now is Citadel Base Mephiston Red and the paint is tacky and comes off not super easy, but it's definitely not durable.

Did you rinse well after you washed it? I don't have any Citadel paints but I do know that when sanitizing equipment 3 rinses are recommended. I generally just rinse under running water, though.

Don't use any aerosols on Bones; they have been noted to sometimes have very bad reactions. I use Reaper brush-on sealer, which dries matte, and it works great!

I use a brush on sealer for all my minis. Of course, given the stated durability of Bones I'm only putting one-ish coat on, whereas my metal minis get 3 coats. (I'm paranoid about chipping.) Other's have reported that brush on matte sealer with make that tackiness thing go away IIRC.

• Like 1

I rinsed once. What kind of reaction does spray sealer have? I bought some Patricia Nimochks Clear Acrylic Sealer from Wallyworld for the purpose of spraying my bones after painting. Where else besides reaper would I find brush on sealer?

I rinsed once. What kind of reaction does spray sealer have? I bought some Patricia Nimochks Clear Acrylic Sealer from Wallyworld for the purpose of spraying my bones after painting. Where else besides reaper would I find brush on sealer?

I picked up some Liquitex brush-on sealers (both gloss and matte) from Michael's for $14.99 per 6 fl.oz. bottle.

• Like 1

Games Workshop 'Ardcoat, which nearly any FLGS that does minis at all either has, or can get.

I'm sure Vallejo has matte, satin and gloss sealers in their line, but I'm not sure what the exact codes are.

Oddly, Privateer Press' Formula P3 doesn't appear to have a line of sealers or primers - I guess they presume people will be using other brands.

Matte and Gloss coats can also be found in hobby stores that have good paint lines - ask the front desk, they'll usually have recommendations.

You can find the sealers in hobby stores either with the fancy art supplies (oil paints, water colours, etc), those tend to be the more expensive ones, or you can find them with the cheap craft paints, usually near the section with all the neat little wood thingies (like bird houses that would make a good castle...). I usually just get the cheap stuff, it works just fine for my purposes and doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. The arms and legs already cost enough as is... :lol:

Reaper Brush on sealer works really well and should be the go to.

If your into sealing with aerosol (as I am)

Testors dull coat (3-4 layers) then testors gloss coat ( 1 layer) and dull coat again. Works really great as well.

Even krylon gloss coat (minis very sticky) and liquitex Matt brush over it seems to work

Check the net for local stores or Internet sites (with free shipping) I'm in Canada and micheals has dull/gloss coat

Aerosols have been noted to sometimes make Bones very sticky and glossy. It's pretty hit-or-miss; I've heard people report that X spray works just fine, and then someone else comes along and says it ruined a whole batch of minis. So you can try it and see if it works out for you, but I wouldn't bother and just go for a brush-on. Reaper's is the only one I've used and can recommend, but most mini-paint companies sell them.

Speaking of sealer, I just sprayed a bunch of metal minis with testors dull coat then gloss then dull and the minis are all good BUT the flowers on the base now look like the have water droplets on them (kinda cool affect but I didn't do it on purpose) and I'm wondering what caused this . The weather Is a sunny but cold day here in whistler.