Sign in to follow this  
aku-chan

Dark Mariner Biomancer - Antimatter Games

Hello there!

Trying my hand at a WIP thread again, I know my last couple of them died a terrible death, but I'm hoping that by concentrating on a single figure, I won't stress out over my painting not being good enough and end up with a pile of half-done stuff again.

If this works, then whenever I start on a figure I think deserves a bit more effort and/or is really cool looking, I'll memorialise the project in a thread.

Our first test subject is this guy, The Biomancer -

4yo8.jpg

0csm.jpg

Yep, he's a freaky pile of little details. At this stage I'd primed and brown washed him to better see what was what.

I had a little bit of time left at the end of today's painting session, so I made a start on the basecoat -

iar3.jpg

I'm liking the blue tentacles, but I think the purple on his pet octopus is a bit too dark, might try something pinker.

• Like 10

I like his purple octopus, but you need some more colour on him to see the difference, with a bit of highlighting it'll be cool, especially if you put some neon circles on it like a blue ring octopus or something.

• Like 1

I like his purple octopus, but you need some more colour on him to see the difference, with a bit of highlighting it'll be cool, especially if you put some neon circles on it like a blue ring octopus or something.

I plan to attempt some freehand on the Octopus, but I'm still not sold on the dark purple though.

More basecoating -

99v6.jpg

aj1x.jpg

I keep finding new bits to paint, or bits I forgot to paint, or bits I did paint but wrongly because I thought they were something else.

Just need to work out what colour I want to certain areas to be (like his glowy crystal belt and the shell on the staff) and I'll be able to finish this stage.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Darcstaar
      I have begun the best thing I can think of for myself to get through my Bones I stockpile.  I went to the Kickstarter page, took screenshots of the reward pictures, and am using it as a checklist.  I’ll be shooting for tabletop+.

First up is Cassie, gnome wizard.

Mold lines addressed, cleaned, and on a rudimentary base.

Primed with Brown Liner.
      Flesh tone base is Rosy Shadow.

Then working on eyes.
      Nightshade Purple and Linen White so far.
      And that’s all I got done today.

• By bblythe84
      So I painted her as my player character in an upcoming game, the tricky thing was that she had some pretty bad burn scars. I tried to paint a burn scar on her shoulder holding the wand, I am not sure how well it came out.

As always let me know what you all think of her.

I feel I should also apologize for the photo quality, I am trying to get something set up for decent pictures. 

• By bluecrowlaura
      Hi there! I've started a diorama project, and I thought it would be good to post my progress here. This is my first diorama attempt- I have just been trying All The Things to see which ones I like best!- and so far, so good, I suppose. I'm one of those folks who learn best by doing, so here goes.

I'll be using Reaper's 03172 Hippocampus and Pegaso's Nymert, along with some Morland Studios Sea Accessories.  I've built the base from scratch using Excalibur casting stone poured into a laser-cut plywood disk, along with lava rock, bark chips, and some hydrostone...so far. I'm going to need to add some Milliput along the edges to finish the angle, and do a bit more work with the Dremel before priming.

I was having a hard time envisoning how the figures would interact, despite sketches, so I decided to go ahead and start attaching the one element I'm certain of: the hippocampus. After cleaning him up a little and using the Dremel to modify his base somewhat, I glued it in. I tried to twist him a little, to give some spiraling motion that would match the nymert, but this is one tough seahorse. I am going to do a little torquing when I pin to the tail, but that's it. The nymert was a little tougher; she'll have to be pinned to a coral tower in the back, so I had to add an extra pin. I did it before cleanup, and I am crossing my fingers that I can get it to look natural in the end.

As I was deciding on the final placement of the nymert figure, I realized that I hadn't thought enough about the most important element of the dio: the story. No matter how I placed her, she looked like she was attacking the hippocampus! Not what I want! So I need to add a third figure, some sort of baddy for the two of them to be fighting. But there's very little room in this design for any additions. Soooo.....

Tentacles. This is a Fimo armature for what I hope will be a few evil-looking tentacles trying to trap the two figures. I sculpted it onto regular armature wire, attached it with CA glue and 2-part epoxy, and carved back into it to whittle it down a bit. I will use green stuff to sculpt the final tentacles, maybe more wire if necessary.

(Also, if you look closely, you can see the hole I drilled into the lava rock 'coral' for the nymert's pin. More of the lava rock drilled out than I wanted- it basically disintegrated- so I'll need something fairly sturdy to fill it when I'm ready for final assembly. Maybe Durham's. Or more 2-part epoxy or JB Weld.)

And that's it! That's how far I've come. Next week I'm going to mount the hippocampus and the nymert, I think, even though painting will get trickier; I can't really finish the tentacles until I do.

Fingers crossed....

• By aku-chan
      https://imgur.com/W2NvtQC
      https://imgur.com/CoB0ov8
      https://imgur.com/VPqucvu
      https://imgur.com/LLnJilq

'In the far west of the Borderlands, there is a land that spends a quarter of every year in darkness, the only light coming from the great gatherings of Sunstalkers that cover the plains.
      The locals tell a tale, about how the Sunstalkers, being the children of Night, aid her in her endless battle against Day by trying to eat the Sun. Whenever the Sun reaches the horizon the Sunstalkers gather, only to be held at bay by a mysterious person known as The Dawn Maiden.
      However, the constant battling eventually tries her out and inevitably she must leave the Sun unguarded, at which point it is devoured.
      In the end, her strength replenished, The Dawn Maiden returns and hunts down every Sunstalker, the indigestible fragments of Sun causing them to glow in the darkness. She cuts open their bloated bellies, reassembles the Sun piece by piece and releases it back into the sky to restart the cycle.'

Presenting the Sunstalker, a monster from the game Kingdom Death: Monster.

I don't really have the patience (or big enough brushes) for larger minis like this, so kept it super simple with lots of drybrushing. Despite that, I think it looks pretty good, so I'm happy.

As always, any comments or criticisms are warmly received.
  • Who's Online   33 Members, 1 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)